Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What section of the Adirondacks has the oldest growth forest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were a handful of big guys along the Lower Jessup

Comment

While massive trees are the stars of old growth forest, lets not forget the richness of the understory... and the abundant tangles of hobblebush that necessitate tiring high-stepping.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yep..there's still some tall boys out there....
        Attached Files

Comment

How much paper is wasted with junk mail?

I can't believe they still send that crap.

There must be some fool out there reading it, or else I would think they would stop.

Comment

Originally posted by sp_nyp View Post
            How much paper is wasted with junk mail?

I can't believe they still send that crap.

There must be some fool out there reading it, or else I would think they would stop.
            Man ain't the truth....I put a garbage can right next to my mail box. I live alone with my dog...yesterday I got a flyer for a nail salon I gotta love the bed, bath & beyond one's I get too..

Comment

Originally posted by paddlewheel View Post
              Man ain't the truth....I put a garbage can right next to my mail box. I live alone with my dog...yesterday I got a flyer for a nail salon I gotta love the bed, bath & beyond one's I get too..
              I like to send the pre-paid envelopes back to the sender with nothing inside. I've heard of some people sending garbage back to the sender attached to really big boxes, (hey, it's pre-paid) but I'm not that mean
              Last edited by dundee; 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Recycle recycle...recycle....
                Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

I would think Pine Ochard near Wells would have some trees almost 250 years old. Some are close to eight feet in diameter.

Comment

I agree on the Pine Orchard
                    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Cathedral Pines, Just north of Inlet? Haven't been there in years but remember being impressed. Really short walk, this video honors the site but doesn't do the trees justice;

"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

I have heard that the Five Pond Wilderness Area holds alot old growth stuff..
                        There is an excellent stand of old growth forest on the Cranberry 50 trail.

Dick
                        Attached Files

Comment

I didn't see anyone mention the old growth stand in the Ferris Lake Wild Forest. That one is on my 2011 summer list to visit.
                          "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

I always remembered a really huge pine on the short portage to Fawn Lake..Anybody know if that old boy is still standing?...It was a landmark & a coversation piece for years....used to go up the way alot but I haven't been there in quite awhile..

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
                              There is an excellent stand of old growth forest on the Cranberry 50 trail.

Dick
                              Oh hell ....I'm thinking you folks just wanted to play "ring around the rosie".......

I hope everyone was ok when "ya all fell down"..... Those hip replacements can be a bitch...
                              Last edited by paddlewheel; 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Oh hell ....I'm thinking you folks just wanted to play "ring around the rosie".......

I hope everyone was ok when "ya all fell down"..... Those hip replacements can be a bitch...
                                No "ring around the rosie"...just a few hippie tree-huggers...

Comment

Working...
                                X