Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your Adirondack Animal Sightings

Hi folks,

Its been a while since the Wildlife section of the sight had a post so I thought I would kick off an idea. Let's share some of our incredible wildlife stories- I would certainly love to hear them.

Here is one to get started. I was walking my dog along a dirt road in Franklin county and came to an area where power lines crossed the road. There was an old and huge rock wall that spanned the length of the cleared area east to west and was about 30ft from me, and this rock wall was so tall it was the same height as the summers meadows vegetation along the lines (4 ft ish). I noticed a large dark spot that seemed to float on the brush when I realized a very large Fisher was walking on top of the wall, it gave the effect that it was walking on the flowers of the meadows brush and after a moment the entire animal came into perfect view (no camera-ouch) . A beautiful and healthy Fisher and very large. He continued walking and watching me from time to time. He eventually walked all the way across but it was a fantastic sighting. The dog never saw him as he was shorter then the brush and up against it.
    The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Originally posted by adk View Post
    Hi folks,

Its been a while since the Wildlife section of the sight had a post so I thought I would kick off an idea. Let's share some of our incredible wildlife stories- I would certainly love to hear them.

Here is one to get started. I was walking my dog along a dirt road in Franklin county and came to an area where power lines crossed the road. There was an old and huge rock wall that spanned the length of the cleared area east to west and was about 30ft from me, and this rock wall was so tall it was the same height as the summers meadows vegetation along the lines (4 ft ish). I noticed a large dark spot that seemed to float on the brush when I realized a very large Fisher was walking on top of the wall, it gave the effect that it was walking on the flowers of the meadows brush and after a moment the entire animal came into perfect view (no camera-ouch) . A beautiful and healthy Fisher and very large. He continued walking and watching me from time to time. He eventually walked all the way across but it was a fantastic sighting. The dog never saw him as he was shorter then the brush and up against it.
    Cool story, thanks for sharing.

I have a similar fisher story...
    Once while bushwhacking with my dog down a mountain in the Pharaoh region a few years ago, two fishers came running across the hillside right in front of me & my dog.
    My dog didn't even notice them at first, and the two fishers that seemed to be chasing one another didn't notice us at all at first also...but then one of them did notice us, and jumped and grabbed onto a tree trunk and stopped and looked straight at us for about 5 seconds from about 20 feet away, while the other one ran away.

As soon as I reached for my camera that was in my camera-bag on my hip belt, the fisher climbed up to the top of the tree, which then got my dogs attention.
    The fisher then began to hiss, growl, and bark at us from high up in the tree.
    I took a few photos, but non of them capture what had just happened right in front of all our faces:
    Attached Files

Comment

Speaking of fishers, I just caught one on a trail cam 2 days ago:
      Attached Files
      Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Cool Shot, Where abouts in the Adks do you have your trail cam set up? I noticed it said 18f on the 5th....wow...did it really drop that low this past weekend?
        Set out runnin' but I take my time
        A friend of the devil is a friend of mine
        If I get home before daylight, I just might get some sleep tonight. -GD

Comment

Yep, it got pretty chilly. My property is in the southern ADKs, just north of Stratford and east of the Piseco Road.

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
            Speaking of fishers, I just caught one on a trail cam 2 days ago:
            Great Fisher image! Always cool to get a peak into their world!
            The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Saw a Bald Eagle Sunday along 458 just west of the junction with 30 right where the lookout is. Watch it for about 10 minutes. Was neat sitting directly below it while it watched us thru the sunroof.
              Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

I seem to be plagued by Pine Martins. I see a lot of them when I am hiking/camping. Most of the time they are just curious, but a few have been a little more than curious. I think that some of the ones around lean-tos are getting like the bears and see people as a meal ticket. There was one in particular at Slant Rock this past May that sat there and stared at us.

Then of course there is this guy, I see him all the time at home and on the trail. He follows me everywhere I go. He also is looking for handouts. Please don't feed him if you see him on the trail.
                Attached Files
                Are you in possession of all of your marbles?

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!

Comment

Here are a few images i took from my facebook page.

bear was photographed while canoeing on the moose river

buck was taken at a Snowmobile dealer in Old Forge. Walked right into the service center while i was standing there

moose was taken in tupper lake

mergansers where taken on long lake

fisher was taken on the Togue Mountain Range (French Point)

turkeys were taken in blue mountain lake
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/adkleanto/[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
                    I seem to be plagued by Pine Martins. I see a lot of them when I am hiking/camping. Most of the time they are just curious, but a few have been a little more than curious. I think that some of the ones around lean-tos are getting like the bears and see people as a meal ticket. There was one in particular at Slant Rock this past May that sat there and stared at us.

Then of course there is this guy, I see him all the time at home and on the trail. He follows me everywhere I go. He also is looking for handouts. Please don't feed him if you see him on the trail.
                    I have yet to come across a pine marten. I spend most of my time in the southern ADKs and haven't been to the High Peaks area in many years. Are they found in the southern ADKs, does anyone know?

Comment

I have yet to come across a pine marten. I spend most of my time in the southern ADKs and haven't been to the High Peaks area in many years. Are they found in the southern ADKs, does anyone know?
                      I saw this one a few years ago not too far from the Piseco Lake area...
                      Attached Files

Comment

My wife and I saw a bull moose in 2008 on our honeymoon while canoeing Upper Sergeants Pond. There is a picture of it at Helms in Long Lake. It was the first moose I had ever seen, anywhere and to date, our only ADK moose.
                        This past fall, while on vacation at Adirondack Lake, we saw the most wildlife on one trip that we had ever seen, mostly from the cabin.
                        Our week started off with rain and watching otters and a bald eagle compete for a meal on a floating bog in the middle of the lake (saw all the action through the spotting scope and binoculars, so no pics). We saw the eagle several times over the course of the week, and also a few osprey visits. There were three loons, two adults and a juvenile that were around all week, and she got some great shots of one of the adults feeding a fish to the juvenile. That was the same trip as the otters picture posted in "Fish ID". We were just very lucky this trip with the variety. Other trips had given us larger mammals, but this was definitely the trip with the most variety of wildlife. It was also our son's first trip to the ADK's, so it was even better!

Comment

Originally posted by GeoLobo View Post

buck was taken at a Snowmobile dealer in Old Forge. Walked right into the service center while i was standing there
                          What did he buy???

Great pictures by the way! Some truly memorable moments!

Comment

Crane Mountain has some.
                            Are you in possession of all of your marbles?

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!

Comment

We've seen them in the Schroon/Pottersville area as well.
                              'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                              X