No announcement yet.

Share your Adirondack Animal Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pic's. I really like the mergansers. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
      I have yet to come across a pine marten. I spend most of my time in the southern ADKs and haven't been to the High Peaks area in many years. Are they found in the southern ADKs, does anyone know?
      I spend a decent amount of time in the Wilcox Lake wild forest area and I have had several sitings including seeing one attack a grouse doing the broken wing dance to save it's young (amazing and loud!). I also found a skull and have seen tracks.
      A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
        I spend a decent amount of time in the Wilcox Lake wild forest area and I have had several sitings including seeing one attack a grouse doing the broken wing dance to save it's young (amazing and loud!). I also found a skull and have seen tracks.
        Good news.......... maybe it's only a matter of time for me. My stomping grounds are often the Ferris Lake WF area.
        Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Maybe someone is trapping them. I have never seen 2 together, a previous poster did I think they are very solitary and low population density type critters.
          A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

I've seen several in the lake colden dam area.

Comment

Hmmmm, let's see.
              I was paddling from Old Forge to Big Tupper with a buddy back in '76, this was my 1st multiple day canoe trip and I soon was hooked, but that's another story.
              We were paddling on the Raquette, just below Buttermilk Falls and my buddy in the bow yells "What's that in the water?! It's, It's a bear!! It's a f***ing bear!!" Sure enough, it swam across the river, no more than 20 ft in front of us, hopped up onto a tiny island, shook off like a dog, and then plunged in again and swam the rest of the way across to the S shore. We watched it lumber up the hill, towards the dirt road to Forked. A few minutes later, we heard a car horn blasting a ways away, always figured it was because of the bear crossing the road...who knows!

My son and I were stalked by a Pine Marten while paddling on Henderson, we watched it, or the other way around, for 10 minutes or so. As we slowly paddled by, he (why do I assume it's he?) scampered up and over deadfall and rocks to keep an eye on us. I think he was after the stripper I had to look it up when we got home, never saw one before that.

Me, MDB, and the kids were camping on the side of Vanderwacker Mt, and driving with our bicycles on the back of my CJ, on the way to a ride in to Santanoni Preserve. Right there in front of us, on Rt 28N, was a huge female moose, sauntering across the road just in front of us. We slowed down and fumbled for the camera, only to get a dim, blurry image of something dark heading into the trees. Oh well. That's been the only ADK moose that I have seen...and that was in 2000!

Spent lots of time watching otters play and chow down mussels at Little Tupper, Ledge Pond, and that little unnamed pond just N of Pink Pond.
              The otters on LTL were the most entertaining little guys, they would sink and swim and swivel like Olympic synchronized swimmers. It was adorable to see these three heads swivel in unison. All the while, they were grunting and moaning at each other, we watched them for over an hour.

Other than that, just the usual beavers with branches, eagles with clutched fish, stalker minks, coyotes sneaking into camp, whitetail deer and fawns along shores...

I guess you can see a lot from a canoe seat!!

Comment

My two most memorable sightings both occured on our,then, FP lease near Long Lake.

The first was on a pond, I was alone in the canoe, "experimenting "with a fly rod I had borrowed.
                I had "Grounded" the canoe on a submerged rock away from the shore and those entangling shruberys. (Also out of sight of any potential mockers).

Just then, a huge 10 point buck,in velvet, swam/waded past me..bobbing up and down as the pond depth varied. He seemed not to give a hoot about me, being at the closest 20 feet. He climbed up the muddy bank and disappeared into the alders...alas ,the camera was back at camp...

The second memorable occurred the Friday after a Thanksgiving a few years ago.

As my wife was preparing turkey sandwiches, I went out to sit in the privy. As the view is better with the door open, so it was.
                Not more 30 feet in front of me, in the raspberry patch covered in 1 foot of snow, a cow moose walked past me, and them past the front of the camp.

After I finished my business, I went inside to hear my wife shouting to me that a "effing" water buffalo just walked by...

Later that evening some neighbors stopped by to ask if I had seen the moose tracks on the lease !!! "You mean these?"HAHAH
                Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Bobcat on trailcam

South of the blue line but I caught a picture of this handsome devil a few hundred yards behind the house.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Where about was this taken? Just out of curiosity. I do not mean it any harm, it's just that I am south of the line and was curious how close it was to home.
                    "Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold."

Comment

Northern Otsego County. Deer was struck by a car and I set up trail cam - was expecting pics of coyotes.

Comment

Got it, now I understand the screen name also. That location however must be near me as I'm in southern herkimer county.
                        "Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold."

Comment

That is an awesome picture sleeping lion! Thanks for sharing.
                          - Kevin

Comment

Great [photos, thanks for sharing. Something about the bear photo really strikes me. Kinda like who saw who first sorta thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeping lion View Post
                              South of the blue line but I caught a picture of this handsome devil a few hundred yards behind the house.
                              Outstanding photo- great catch!
                              The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Nice pic, congrats and thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X