No announcement yet.

Share your Adirondack Animal Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a marten last year while going down the trail from Algonquin towards Lake Colden. I was making squeaking noises to try to attract a bird (with no luck; it never did appear), but instead the marten came to investigate, coming almost right up to me before it realized I was there. I've been interested in the comments about their nuisance factor when habituated to campsites & food, but they sure are beautiful! Before that I hadn't seen one for years.

Comment

I was trying to get across the South Branch West Canada a few weeks ago to reach Fort Noble Mountain. In the process I kept hearing what sounded like an engine starting in the distance. It would start up then stop. I kept wondering what in nature produces this sound. Could the water moving through the rocks in such away do this? I found out ice on a lake produces a very cool sound, but what is this? Last week I was hiking in the Stillwater Reservoir area. I was going up hill and my heart beat was up. I could feel it in my head. Suddenly, my heart beat went into a serious arrhythmia. I thought I was developing a major health probelm. I was quite concerned for my health, but why was I not collapsing? Then I realized I was hearing the same sound I heard at Fort Noble. The frequenzy was so low that it penetrated into me and mimicked a heart beat going out of control. It's strange, but that is what it felt like. It masked the real heart beat. The sound is a thump thump thump thump thump thumpthumpthuthump and then stops. Ok, so what is it? Is it coming from the ground? I did notice there were a lot of dead logs around. Then it came to me. I remembered hearing that sound on a bird cd. It was a game bird and there were large birds taking off when I got too close to them. They could scare the pants off you doing that. I got home and found out it was a ruffed grouse. What an interesting bird. They stand on a log and flap their wings as fast as possible to produce that sound. It's called drumming. What else does nature do?

Comment

Ran across a vid of a Grouse Drumming .

Taken with a Sony DSC W200 homemade trail camera paired with a Yeti controller board and an external microphone. It is set approximately 3 feet away from th...
        Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

It is quite an interesting sound until you know what makes it. Thanks for the video 1894.
          - Kevin

Comment

The " Great White Hunter" on the prowl :

Success !!!

Next ?

Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Hey Lonehiker how was the trail up Ft.Noble? Have not been there in sereral years, is it still walkable ?

Comment

Originally posted by W Canada Creek 30-30 View Post
                Hey Lonehiker how was the trail up Ft.Noble? Have not been there in sereral years, is it still walkable ?
                The trail to the creek is still walkable, but I haven't climbed the mountain yet. I'm waiting on a friend of mine to come with me. I would feel bad if I went ahead without him. All that remains of the suspension bridge is two cables over the creek. I keep checking the water level of the creek to see if my friend can ford it. I want to do this. I will do a trip report when I complete the hike.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoLobo View Post
                  Here are a few images i took from my facebook page.

bear was photographed while canoeing on the moose river

buck was taken at a Snowmobile dealer in Old Forge. Walked right into the service center while i was standing there

moose was taken in tupper lake

mergansers where taken on long lake

fisher was taken on the Togue Mountain Range (French Point)

turkeys were taken in blue mountain lake
                  Fantastic set of images - outstanding!
                  The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by 1894 View Post
                    The " Great White Hunter" on the prowl :

Success !!!

Next ?

Ermin's are great aren't they- great catch!

Comment

Originally posted by sleeping lion View Post
                      south of the blue line but i caught a picture of this handsome devil a few hundred yards behind the house.
                      wow!

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                        Speaking of fishers, I just caught one on a trail cam 2 days ago:
                        Fantastic Fisher!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                          I saw this one a few years ago not too far from the Piseco Lake area...
                          I just saw a Marten the other night as the Sun was setting. At first (as it was dark) I thought it might have been the neighbors cat although my place is pretty remote. Sure enough it was a beautiful Marten! Great photo!

Comment

2 Otters and an Bald Eagle this AM on CL.
                            Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                            Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Bald Eagle -- Lake George

We saw a Bald Eagle yesterday on Lake George. It was perched near the top of a pine tree about 30 yds. away from its nest.

This was in the southern basin of the lake, in a heavily used area. Quite a surprise to see it--especially in that location.

Pat T

Comment

The closest I have ever come to a black bear was up at forked lake. It awoke me in my hammock with her sniffing and nudging me. she scampered off when strongly encouraged her to leave with my words. But alas I didn't get a glimpse of her. My campsite neighbors did however. So I have never seen a bear, until this past weekend.

The black river WF, slight rain, I was just cresting a small rise and we both startled each other and he took off into the woods perpendicular to the trail. We were no more than 20 feet away from each other. Did not appear to be a very large bear, but definitely not a cub either. One of my hiking partners estimated about 200lbs? Not as close as my forked lake experience, but I have no desire to repeat that proximity.
                                "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X