Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoeboarder View Post

Fantastic images!
    The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

You should always keep your camara close!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tower 1 View Post
        You should always keep your camara close!!
        Fantastic wildlife images!

Comment

Pine Marten

Saw this while hiking Phelps.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thedoughnut View Post
            Saw this while hiking Phelps.
            Pine Martens are fantastic little fellas... great to see them in the snow- awesome images!

Comment

Any new pics?

Comment

Spruce Lake Porcupine
                Summer 2013

Comment

Fisher in southern ADKs.
                  Attached Files
                  Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Wild turkey gobbler in southern ADKs.
                    Attached Files
                    Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

This seams like a good place to ask, I didn't want to start a new thread for it. Camping on St. Sac Island in Lake George this August. Middle of the night I hear something outside the tent. Three short beeping kind of sounds, almost electronic in nature short and fast like the dot - dot - dot in an SOS. It sounded a lot like the sound I've heard skunks make but can't imagine there is a skunk living out on those islands.

Year before last, same Island, standing at the waters edge, watched a beaver swim into the cove and walk right up on land not 30 feet away, gave us a cross eyed look & started nibbling a plant till I tried to put the camera on him.

That was the year for wildlife sounds & encounters. The week on the island gave us numerous Barred owls calling through the night, a Barn Owl scarring the hell out of me one night (never heard one before that, blood curdling scream.), Coyotes calling on the Tongue range across the lake. A hawk eating one of the little red squirrels that had been running all over camp. And a freakin Rattle Snake about four feet away, crossing the trail to the latrine while I was sitting there boxed in with the door open and nothing but a can of air freshener for defense!

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                        Fisher in southern ADKs.
                        very nice Fisher photo. I'd never seen a fisher until this summer, saw one on three different occasions - at night in my backyard, crossing a carriage road, and later scolding/watching us from a tree while hiking - all on the Shawangunk Ridge (just south of the Catskills).

Earlier this fall, I was even more fortunate - in the wildlife viewing category - as I saw a wolverine while camping in Yoho National Park in Canada. Pretty much everyone I met afterwards said "that's a once in a lifetime sighting", so I felt particularly lucky.

As neither of these are in the Adirondacks, I'll only post photos if requested.

One question however, as I don't make it to the Adirondacks very often - are there certain locations that are wildlife "magnets", and increase the odds of seeing mammals?

I've mostly paddled around Lake Lila, and did the Little Tupper to Lila trip last fall. Also done some hut skiing at Grace Camp and Peggy O'Brien in the past. Need to get up there again this fall - and hope to get some shots with a new telephoto lens. Any ideas / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Clay

Comment

Cow moooooose :-)

I just pulled these off a trail camera today (SE ADKs)....

Take it easy,
                          desmobob

Comment

Interesting how the trees, particularly the branches above the moose's head, appear a bit closer in the dark than in the daylight. Maybe its just my perception, but an interesting factor when trying to determine species and size proportions on photos that aren't so obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                              Fisher in southern ADKs.
                              Great catch! Tough image to capture during the daylight for sure great job

Comment

Originally posted by desmobob View Post
                                I just pulled these off a trail camera today (SE ADKs)....

Take it easy,
                                desmobob
                                Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X