No announcement yet.

How to spot an otter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't spot them. They spot me. Usually in the water, they are hissing with displeasure. And when I go to take a picture, they dive and pop up directly in back again hissing and chattering.

Never a picture of an otter.

Comment

Best way to see otters is to spend time in otter habitat and to be lucky. As Mark Twain says, "The harder I work the luckier I get".
      The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Surprisingly, I saw one last week, but not in the Adirondacks. I was riding my bike on the Erie Canal path in Pittsford, near Lock 32, and one scampered from the canal across the path and into the little pond there. I'm not sure which of us was more surprised!
        “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

I have seen many otters. They seem to be very curious creatures. Upon arrival at a new pond, two or three of them might appear before me, popping out of the water like Shmooes in Dogpatch, but their demeanor is nowhere near as affable as Shmooes. They will carry on with contemptuous snorts expressing obvious disdain to your presence. After this initial greeting, I rarely see them again.

Comment

Sounds like they don't want to share their ponds with you Conk!

Maybe I will be lucky enough to have one snort and hiss at me... I would guess being out early before they can snort at someone else and hide is a must... I'm not known for getting out of my sleeping bag too early... that may be the problem

Comment

The otter/otters that live in my lake (not in the 'daks unfortunately) seem to really like the shellfish more than anything. Haven't seen one in the 'daks yet. Plenty of beaver though, including the time one came into my camp at night trying to steal my firewood.

Comment

I've seen them three times during the last two paddling seasons (I only started in fall of 2010), twice on the Quaboag River in MA, and most recently on the Round Lake outlet this July. With me, they've approached from the front, reared up to get a look (or smell) when they get medium distance (20 or 30 feet), then dive and I don't see them again. Especially the first time, I waited a long time watching all around, with no luck -- then I read that they can swim a long distance & stay under a long time, without coming up.
                A couple of the times I made the mistake of assuming they were beaver at first, until they reared up in the water -- a totally unbeaverlike motion & appearance.

Maybe they find the dark Blackjack more alarming than some of the other posters' boats? I hope it's not anything about me!

I've seen Fisher a few times, but seem to have no luck on Marten -- only once in the ADKS, and once years ago in the Tetons. A pity, since I think they're the most beautiful of the batch.

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
                  Anybody know much about Adirondack otters?

I always have my eyes open for those little stinkers but I've never seen one in the fur. I suspect I'm looking in the wrong areas. I know they're out there...

Any tips for finding them?

PS I don't want to trap them, just see them.
                  I have seen them on Forked Lake and Blue Mt Lake, always around sunrise.

This on swam straight toward my campsite and only turned when he spotted me close to the shore.

~~Leave no trace~~

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
                    S

Maybe I will be lucky enough to have one snort and hiss at me... I would guess being out early before they can snort at someone else and hide is a must...

I've seen them 4 or 5 times and it has mostly been in the midday/early afternoon time periods. Somehow the Otter Pond tip really tickles me...if you went and actually spotted some, how good would that be?...

Comment

I've been to a couple Otter Ponds... never once saw an otter there. I suspect the one in Pigeon Lakes Wilderness doesn't get many visitors either.

My next trip is into Five Ponds. Maybe I'll have better luck there

Comment

How to spot an otter? Look for tusks. This IS the right animal, isn't it?
                        Attached Files

Comment

I know your looking for the wild ones but the wild center in Blue mountain lake has some live ones on display along with lots of other cool things .

Comment

People tend to think of animals as something from the "wilderness" but often that is not the case. A family of otters needs a great deal to eat....fish, crustaceans, ducklings etc.. Many animals ( the Fisher is the best example) have seemed to adapt to humans and the drop in trapping has meant these animals have become comfortable living around humans where the living is easier.
                            Last edited by Gman; 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM.
                            Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

I would look for otters in warmwater rivers like the Black near Lowville, the Raquette and Oswegatchie downstream of Rt 3. Otters prefer high banks. They do not like gradual sloping banks. They also prefer earth of mud banks to bare rock. I suspect a steep bank gives faster access to deep water for safety.
                              Last edited by Gman; 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM.
                              Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

How to spot an otter in winter...
                                Find an otter hole through the ice.
                                Then hide somewhere along shore, sit, and wait.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X