No announcement yet.

How to spot an otter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember seeing those pics last winter!

Does it work if you make the holes?

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
      Does it work if you make the holes?
      I doubt it but maybe.
      I do ice fish on occasion, but have yet to have anything bigger than 20" come out of a hole that I drilled.
      There were several otter holes along that "Marsh" in the photos, and that otter popped its head out of every one of them sequentially during the later afternoon hours. It made its way downstream, then back upstream, poking its head out of some holes, completely surfacing at others.
      ...Gotta be very quick if you want a photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
        There were several otter holes along that "Marsh" in the photos, and that otter popped its head out of every one in a row during the later afternoon hours.
        I'd imagine they'd have to keep using them frequently so they don't freeze over.

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
          How to spot an otter? Look for tusks. This IS the right animal, isn't it?
          Everybody knows, the one left center is Paul McCartney!!!

Comment

I thought it was a pic from Wilfred Brimleys family reunion...

You know Pops in the Natural...the guy from the diabetes commercial...and Coccoon. Cool old fart with a Teddy Roosevelt moustache.

Not to be confused with Ned Beatty....I cannot watch anything he's done in the past 30 years without thinking that's the guy who was a** raped by the toothless hillbilly. Bad career move Ned.
            Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
              I thought it was a pic from Wilfred Brimleys family reunion...

You know Pops in the Natural...the guy from the diabetes commercial...and Coccoon. Cool old fart with a Teddy Roosevelt moustache.

Not to be confused with Ned Beatty....I cannot watch anything he's done in the past 30 years without thinking that's the guy who was a** raped by the toothless hillbilly. Bad career move Ned.
              Not to drift too much, but Ned was the only one of the four that had any paddling experience...and the scene with Burt tumbling over the falls, yeah, he did it himself and broke his coccyx in the process!

Comment

The first adk otter that I can remember seeing was a pair many years ago at lost ponds in the moose river plains. I've seen otters several times at Lake Durant. I saw a pair on eighth lake. My best advise is to spend a much time on otter water as you can. Fishing is a good way to pass the time.

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
                Anybody know much about Adirondack otters?

I always have my eyes open for those little stinkers but I've never seen one in the fur. I suspect I'm looking in the wrong areas. I know they're out there...

Any tips for finding them?

PS I don't want to trap them, just see them.

Comment

The last otter I saw was spotted while I was having lunch in the winter at the Adirondack Hotel in Long Lake. There was a hole out on the ice about 300 or 400 yards away and two of them popped out, romped round a bit and went back down the hole several times. The hotel had binoculars they would let you use to watch them. One of the most entertaining lunches I've ever had. Guess they entertained the guests there for much of that winter. Don't know if it is an annual thing or not.

Comment

Otters move constantly.
                    Over the years I've determined that to "pattern" one you might have to wait 2-3 weeks before they come back/move through an area that they frequent. Winter is the best time to follow an otter's activities, they will go great distances overland from drainage to drainage; look for their "toboggan" trail in deep powder snow as they push along.

Fresh Otter tracks in light snow on ice. Note the typical tail-drag with each leap.

snav3, that's looks like a Mink in your photo, not an Otter.

Comment

I live in Paul Smiths and I have seen them swimming in the water. Both times were in the late afternoons and evenings. I saw them up on Black Pond (on Keese Mill Rd in Paul Smiths) and out on the VIC trails.

Comment

Several years ago in a beaver bay on the back side of St. Regis Mt. I was entertained by two otters chasing each other onto a slide, down into the bay, scurrying back up to the slide, down, again and again, chattering away. Continued until both went on point, looking West into the wind. Both hit the bay and disappeared. A few minutes latter, a coyote appeared at the top of the slide. Beautiful looking animal, as were the otters.
                        Give me the mountains, or give me death.

Comment

Seen otters on little remote ponds in the ADKs and I've been surprised by otters on Lake George, in the narrows....a whole family of them chattering woke me up one pre-dawn while camping. ... also at the Village docks in downtown LG, where they'd set up shop one (recent) spring

Comment

Otters

Originally posted by G.S.sharp View Post
                            I know your looking for the wild ones but the wild center in Blue mountain lake has some live ones on display along with lots of other cool things .
                            I think you mean that that Wild Center is in TUPPER Lake,,,, the Adk Museum is in Blue Mountain Lake. Both great places though!

Comment

Otter

Saw 3 otter this weekend on Lake Abanakee

Comment

I saw a family of them in Chair Rock Flow this September - one larger one & three smaller ones, wandering around the bay. It was during an evening paddle around the flow. After the trip I saw that a guidebook mentioned they're often seen in those south bays of Cranberry Lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X