Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the best place and time to spot a moose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Knowles Coastal trail at the end of the main runway at the Ted Stevens International Airport, Anchorage, AK.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Originally posted by wxwing View Post
      Honestly, where and when you can spot a moose in the Adirondacks is anytime, and most anywhere...

..and by most anywhere, I mean anywhere people don't usually go.

A couple weeks ago, I went hiking along the West Branch of the Sacandaga near Arietta. I "sort of" followed what appeared to be an old unmarked trail.

I got about two miles in when I came to this nice, pleasant bend in the river (see attached image, I snapped it that day).
      Great story!
      I recognize that location, and it is less than a mile from Route 10 along a fairly well used short-cut path. I've been through there many times, but have never been lucky enough to spot a moose, yet.
      Almost the same view from a few winters ago:

Comment

Justin,

Have you spotted a moose yet anywhere in the ADKs?
        Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
          Justin,

Have you spotted a moose yet anywhere in the ADKs?
          I wish.
          I've seen plenty signs of moose, but have yet to see one.
          Black bear too for that matter.

Comment

I disagree with the chances of finding a moose where people don't go.

Moose like the easy way around country too. I've seen them on the trail, trotting ahead of me, on the road, on portages . on snowmobile trails.

There just are not a whole lot of moose in the Adirondacks and not a whole lot of interaction with people. Last year there were 12 collisions with cars in NYS So you have to be luckier.

Maine regularly has over 500. On some roads you have to be lucky NOT to hit a moose.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
              I wish.
              I've seen plenty signs of moose, but have yet to see one.
              Black bear too for that matter.
              I haven't seen an ADK moose yet, but a good number of tracks. As for bear, I've seen a number of them while hiking including this one yesterday at a southern ADK lake - the first shot is long distance view of lake and the 2nd is zoomed in on a bear that crossed the marshy area.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by poconoron; 09-16-2014, 02:04 PM.
              Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Jockeybush? Just curious, ya know, bear season opens soon . . .

Comment

I saw what I am certain was a moose the other day. It was too far away to make a positive identification. Only 3 things that big and dark...a horse, cow or moose and it definitely wasn't the first two.
                  Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

The most signs of Moose I have seen is west of the Hudson River. Never saw one in person but I do have a few pictures on trail cam. All trail Cam pictures I have of Moose are just before sun up or during the night. They seem to be somewhat nocturnal. I guess.

Comment

Not so much nocturnal as crepuscular. You can see them during the day, but they seem to have peak activity near dusk and dawn. If there's a pond where they often go, the best time to see them is likely to be the hour before dark.
                      Or probably the hour after dawn, but I'm a night-owl myself - often linger in the sleeping bag far too long.

Comment

Originally posted by kwc View Post
                        Tony Knowles Coastal trail at the end of the main runway at the Ted Stevens International Airport, Anchorage, AK.
                        My daughter was in Anchorage for an internship last year. I told her to take a walk on that trail and get a picture of a moose for me, sort of jokingly.

Less than an hour later she had spotted two moose, and many others throughout her trip.

Comment

As ADK12986 states the area around Sabattis station is a great place to see moose. I've seen 5 the past few years and regularly get them on my trail cam as well as several of my friends have seen them (also on their trail cams).
                          I believe there to be at least 10 (these are the ones seen) in this area.

Comment

My son and I saw three moose while hunting whitetail this year. A cow and 2 younger ones. While putting on a drive over the mountain I came across several large piles of scat and 4 huge beds in the fresh snow. Later that day we saw them as we walked through the woods back towards the truck. Pretty amazing to see something so large when you are expecting to see deer!
                            This was in West Corinth/ Day area along the south shore area of the Sacandaga, known by most as 'Mulleyville'. The cow was spotted last year with 1 youngster, this year she had 2 with her. No sighting of the Bull.
                            Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Vermont wildlife official just issued a warning to watch out for moose as they are leaving their winter yards and traveling for new growth areas.

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                                I haven't seen an ADK moose yet, but a good number of tracks. As for bear, I've seen a number of them while hiking including this one yesterday at a southern ADK lake - the first shot is long distance view of lake and the 2nd is zoomed in on a bear that crossed the marshy area.

Great catch...
                                The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X