Golden Beach Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Beach Bear

My camping neighbor at Golden Beach State Park. Juvenile male black bear looking for food in the wrong place at the wrong time (but the right time for me)

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

I've done seasonal work over at SUNY Cortland's facility since 1977. One year after being up there leading trips for a month my wife decided we should camp at Golden Beach the weekend she came to pick me up. Although all I wanted to do was go home, I figured she earned what she wanted since I'd been gone for so long. Anyway, long story short, after a month of trips from Raquette up to the Saranacs, where was the only place I encountered bear problems? Yup, you guessed it...Golden Beach State Campground. I never did get a real wink of sleep that night; especially after the bear came and swiped the cake off of a neighbor's picnic table (and why they left it out like that I'll never know).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well,

snapper

Comment

Many years ago when they had the dumpsters near the bathrooms I saw a small bear in a dumpster at golden beach.

Comment

While camping along the far western side of the campsite a number of years ago we had an encounter with a bear at golden beach. I had made a plywood box with a hasp closure where we were keeping our dry goods. At about 2 am I heard the something jump into the back of the truck. Heard the box banging around and then the bear rustling through the stuff inside. Looked outside the tent and watched a big bruiser walking around the front of the truck with a bag of chocolate chip cookies. He kept coming back about every 10 - 15 mins until the campsite started to wake up. The wife wanted to go home that day.

Comment

Working...
        X