No announcement yet.

Lows Lake Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sprayed myself in the face with bear spray while in alaska. It was awful.

Comment

Originally posted by troutpunk View Post
      Sure you did, was she worth it? Or did you offend yourself? LOL Or was the bear laughing so hard, when your "attack" backfired, he left you alone?

You never look down the barrel of a loaded bear spray canister... nor pull the cork from out of a boat to let water out- while on the water... nor light a stove pilot light with a match when the door has been closed awhile... I learned all these things watching the 3 stooges... but I have nailed myself on occasions! Some would have won funnist home videos if on tape... would love to hear the "rest of the story"!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by RichieC; 08-21-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieC View Post
        You never look down the barrel of a loaded bear spray canister... nor pull the cork from out of a boat to let water out... nor light a stove pilot light with a match when the door has been closed awhile... !
        This is where I thought you were going with this...

I'm a huge Croce fan, I always felt there should be more of him on here so I decided to contribute.
        “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Good thing you weren't holding a gun, eh? You would have shot yourself!
          BTW, you point the opening away from yourself, canister or gun.
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Not much of a story to tell. I spent a summer in alaska where i spent a good 5 or 6 days a week fishing. Carried the spray with me but (fortunately) never had to use it. On my last night (after a number of cocktails) I decided to take the cannister out to the hotel parking lot and spray it just to see how it worked. Well I had it backwards and blasted myself in the face pretty much point blank.

I know the range is supposed to be somewhat limited but there were people a good distance away across the parking lot coughing from it. I didn't want to get in trouble folr spraying it in public so I had to act like nothing was wrong despite my eyes being in excrutiating pain.

Comment

Not much of a story to tell. I spent a summer in alaska where i spent a good 5 or 6 days a week fishing. Carried the spray with me but (fortunately) never had to use it. On my last night (after a number of cocktails) I decided to take the cannister out to the hotel parking lot and spray it just to see how it worked. Well I had it backwards and blasted myself in the face pretty much point blank.

I know the range is supposed to be somewhat limited but there were people a good distance away across the parking lot coughing from it. I didn't want to get in trouble folr spraying it in public so I had to act like nothing was wrong despite my eyes being in excrutiating pain.
              Great story! Made me laugh for sure. Not that I've ever made a miscalculation of that magnitude ever in my life...
              Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

That's a good cautionary tale. I had a somewhat similar experience. I carried bear spray 3years before even examining and trying to use it. First thing I noticed was mine had a pin to prevent accidental spraying. It took about 30 seconds to figure out how to get the pin out. A bear would have been on me in an attack.
                Also I later was showing it to my daughters and decided to test spray it. I sprayed it away from us but a gust of wind blew some back towards us and we spent next 5 minutes coughing.
                Always familiarize yourself with your equipment.

Bears are incredibly quick. Reflexes seem much faster than deer. Once during bear season I came around a bend in trail and surprised a bear. I never even had a chance to move and it was gone.

In my opinion any bear showing aggressive traits like those in this thread needs to be taken out. DEC told me as much when I contacted them. Trapping and transporting just moves the problem somewhere else. They said if rubber bullets did not work they would trap and euthanize it.

Comment

I guess maybe the manufacturers of bear spray need to put a big white arrow along with a "This side toward bear" warning. I mean in order to spray yourself you would have to be pushing the trigger away from you rather then "pulling it". Then there is the case of looking into the nozzle pointing directly towards you?
                  "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I have a 7.9 oz canister of "UDAP" pepper spray. The directions are quite clear and there is no way it can go off accidentally or go off in your face, unless like Hawk stated, that you are looking "down the barrel" of the gun.

The directions on the package state that you can test it with a short burst and there would not be a significant loss of product. I have not tried this as I was concerned that once the valve was opened it may not seat completely resulting in loss of of propellent over time.

Comment

Working...
                    X