Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Lions again spotted in New York State

Comment

Funny, this is like 20 minutes from me - in no way wilderness...a little bit of woods, Fahnestock State Park and some wooded areas surrounding the nearby reservoirs.

Probably enough deer to accommodate mountain lions though.

Comment

Is the sighting confirmed to be a mountain lion... ? there are occasional sightings here but no breeding population.. Some people with lots of money have exotic pets and let them go when they become unmanageable.

Comment

Originally posted by rADK View Post
          "'There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.'"
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
            Is the sighting confirmed to be a mountain lion... ? there are occasional sightings here but no breeding population.. Some people with lots of money have exotic pets and let them go when they become unmanageable.
            Interesting, I think there is big money in this particular area. There are quite a few mansions and large estates in this area. Private schools and academies, etc.

Comment

I pulled up Philipstown on my topo map software and there seems quite a bit of land, ponds, and lakes in the area. There also seems to be several corridors north that a mountain lion could take and stay undetected.

rADK ---- What is the purpose of that picture? You do know there has already been a confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in NYS in 2010, right?

Comment

I saw a snow leopard in the south Bronx.
                A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

I bet you see all kinds of cats in the south Bronx.

Comment

I was playing cards in the Adirondack woods with Jimmy Hoffa and Elvis when a mountain lion came by, dragging a sasquatch it had just killed. And me with no camera....

Take it easy,
                    Bob

Comment

NYS is in such denial that they are here......I grew up in a small town in southern Chenango county. I can confirm two instances of mountain lions back there. First was when something over several nights had been scaring the cows through SEVERAL fence lines. We then noticed a huge footprint in the mud. We mixed up some plaster.....took a mold.....then sent one of them in to the DEC to see what it was. It was confirmed to be a mountain lion and based on its footprint would be over 6 foot tall on hind legs. They then asked us where we got it and pretty much called us liars and stated there is no mountain lions in the state. Now fast forward a few years and some friends of mine....avid trappers......checking traps for potential coyotes.....came across a small youth moutnain lion in the trap. They were able to put the animal to sleep with tranquilizer and managed to slap on some drawing save and bandages before taking pictures of the animal. Some time later it managed to take off an presumably make a full recovery. Now funny part of this one was when they sent a copy of the photo to the DEC.....once again they called them liars and stated that the photo was not taken in NY. This is two cases less than 10 miles apart, and i still to this day dont know why they denied our clames......

Comment

Could you share a photo of that track with us?

Comment

i will ask my uncle, this was back it i think 2005 maybe. Hes old school so he probably has a polaroid haha

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                            rADK ---- What is the purpose of that picture? You do know there has already been a confirmed sighting of a mountain lion in NYS in 2010, right?
                            Yes, I know, the Lake George cat. The pic is actually representative of my genuine feelings on the issue. I really want them to be out there, and I love the idea that the ADKs are returning to nature and the presence of Mtn Lions is a sign of that. But as much as I want to believe and want it to be true I still roll my eyes a little when I hear about these "sightings." Show us some footprints, scat, hair, kill, something. Until we see that then I'm going to challenge the "sightings" with skepticism because sightings are not enough. If they here we should be looking harder for actual proof.

Comment

Unfortunately, there are no mountain lions or wolves in Northern NY.

Comment

Working...
                              X