Spot Gen 3 Tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot Gen 3 Tracker

I'm looking for two Spot Gen 3 trackers. Anyone aware of a coupon, rebate, local sellers ?
    F/U ?.. anyone know it there is a new generation being released soon?
    TY
    Mike

And then I found this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPOT-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    sigpic

The machine itself is just one aspect of the service. Its a cool thing no doubt, and if you travel alone, worth its cost ten-fold if you ever really need it. But do check the service charge before you get too excited. Like a cell phone, you have monthly provider charges and levels of features that cost more to consider as a total cost of this technology.

Comment

I've owned one for a couple of years. For the amount I use it, it's a very expensive thing. I wish they had a "pay for the months you need" option like the InReach. I think the best advice (unless you have a worrywart wife/girlfriend who wants you to check-in) is to just get a real PLB like this one. You have a much greater chance of actually getting help due to the strength of the transmitting signal and the satellite system used. The drawback (other than no conversation with anyone) is that they are one-time use, then off to the factory to be refitted with a new battery. If I recall, the battery lasts for about 5 years. I did hear anecdotally that if you actually use it in a life or death situation, they'll replace the battery for free, but I haven't looked to see if that's still current policy or just a promotion they had.

Comment

The reason I have one is for the Adirondack Trail Ride, https://theadirondacktrailride.com/register/
        While you're not required to have one and you can rent one from Trackleaders, we decided to purchase our own after borrowing from friends last year for TATR. We'll use them for TATR '17 and then some other events.
        sigpic

Comment

I have a first generation SPOT and the annual service fee is $100. I use it every time I go out camping, fishing, hunting, etc. sending a daily "I'm OK" message to my contact/s. You have the option to pre-program 2 different messages and one "send help/assistance message". There is a 4th message option that contacts the International Emergency Response Center which triggers an emergency response. Every message sent includes a Google map link and xy coordinates of the location from where the signal was sent from. Its never failed me and and I've used it internationally. I've replaced the lithium batteries myself every 3 years. For the peace mind it's well worth the $8.33/month service fee. Yes its a one way communication system but that's what I prefer.

Just saw this on their web site: https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100
          Last edited by bioguide; 06-14-2017, 01:07 PM.
          My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by bioguide View Post
            I have a first generation SPOT and the annual service fee is $100. I use it every time I go out camping, fishing, hunting, etc. sending a daily "I'm OK" message to my contact/s. You have the option to pre-program 2 different messages and one "send help/assistance message". There is a 4th message option that contacts the International Emergency Response Center which triggers an emergency response. Every message sent includes a Google map link and xy coordinates of the location from where the signal was sent from. Its never failed me and and I've used it internationally. I've replaced the lithium batteries myself every 3 years. For the peace mind it's well worth the $8.33/month service fee. Yes its a one way communication system but that's what I prefer.

Just saw this on their web site: https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100
            Wow, they must have you grandfathered. My Gen3 annual fee was $179 and just got increased to $199. And that's not the upgraded one, either.

Comment

I have the Gen2, after giving away my Gen1, as SPOT is required equipment for the Yukon River canoe races, which I am currently on the road driving to, first day of a week to get there. My friends and the rest of the team are all following me online.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I purchased a pure PLB to avoid the monthly fees. Of course you don't get messages to send or receive. You do have to get the battery replaced every 5 or 6 years though which costs $100ish.

I have the ARC ResQLink+. This model floats and is water proof so it is good for hiking and paddling. Costs about $250 and gives you the help option if life and or limb are in danger.
                Last edited by crkmeup; 06-29-2017, 02:22 PM.
                You can never conquer the mountain. You can only conquer yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Riosacandaga View Post
                  I'm looking for two Spot Gen 3 trackers. Anyone aware of a coupon, rebate, local sellers ?
                  If you still need one, mine is available cheap. Lightly used (maybe three outings). Figured I'd mention it before I stick it up on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                  X