Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
bassanglers912

Waders?

Hi all... as we are in the middle of winter, I am thinking about spring fishing. I am going to need some waders as last summer and fall I waded out in hiking pants and Keen Sandals (sturdy, but FREEZING in October and I won't be trying that with snow melt in April!).
So, I have a very rocky bottom, some big boulders and deep holes with a lot of basketball size and smaller rocks. I have heard that studded boots are better than felt? Do they come with the boot attached or is it a separate purchase?
Thanks for the help...any suggestions or opinions appreciated.
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
EagleEd

Not an authority on this by any means, but I have been spiking my boots with motorcycle tire cleats and they seem to work well. They have been especially effective when I walk on the ice for ice fishing.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
vtpaws

I use yak tracks on my boots because sometimes I do drift boat trips and they donít allow cleats in the boats. They work great and arenít hard to walk in. If you go with spikes - def buy the ones for motorcycles tires. Much cheaper than ones specifically sold for fly fishing boots- and you end up with enough for your friends and replacements for life.
vtpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Woodly

Kold Kutter is one manufacturer of screw in motorcyle/boot cleat.
Grip Studs are another.
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
Fisheater

My wading boots are on their second pair of Simms waders. Yes they look like they’re at least 10 seasons in as well. The Simms cleats are still going, and they don’t rip up my Royalex canoe.
Felt shoes transport invasives more easily. While felt is really good on cobble and cobble with vegetation, it is dangerously slippery on clay. I wear the same boots on a variety of water for a variety of species. I am very pleased with my studded boots.
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
bassanglers912

So the motorcycle spikes...they just screw in to the bottom of your boots? I have used yak tracks before they work well for snow blowing.
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassanglers912 View Post
So the motorcycle spikes...they just screw in to the bottom of your boots? I have used yak tracks before they work well for snow blowing.
Yes-there are also other brands not mentioned.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #8
Woodly

Also, google up Boot Caulks.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
Viking

Felt soles with Micro Spikes to put on when I want. I keep 'em in the vest year round.

Great for icy, muddy, and algae covered stuff. Take them off when I get in the canoe.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote