Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

Puffer Mt

Thinking of staying a night at Puffer Pond (or therebouts) and I noticed the map didn't have a trail up this mountain. I'd imagine there's a herd path somewhere off one of the existing trails. I prefer paths for sake of not ruining a frequently used mountain, but I'm certainly willing to bushwhack it.

This won't be until Sunday afternoon, and the current forecast is calling for clearing by then. This area hasn't seen a ton of rain (last weekend's rain was worse south and east of the park). Keeping my fingers crossed it isn't too bad in there. I read a post recently (adkhighpeaks forums) on doing mountains in poor weather or messy conditions and agree that it isn't good to destroy a mountain for sake of hiking it.

Last edited by Kevin; 10-13-2005 at 10:46 PM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Boreal Chickadee

Kevin, I have a friend who did this trip about 5 years ago. She and her husband and two kids stayed at Puffer Pond and then bushwhacked up the mountain. If I remember right she said they found a light path part of the way that then disappeared entirely. They continued to the top. I'll see if I can find out anything. Hopefully someone else has been up there more recently.
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

Thanks Judy . I'd also be interested to know how thick it gets near the top. I'm hoping that it isn't as 'biting' as some of the stuff I've experienced in the high peaks...
Old 10-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Thanks Judy . I'd also be interested to know how thick it gets near the top. I'm hoping that it isn't as 'biting' as some of the stuff I've experienced in the high peaks...
Puffer Mt. took us only five hours round trip. It was through fairly open hardwoods if I remember correctly. The bushwhacks on the Top 100 list in that area are all fairly pleasant climbs.
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
soco7tyx7

i've bushwhacked it twice with no herd path at all, and they were both in the spring which made it kinda difficult with all the low sapplings and such. this time of year i would imagine would be the best time to do it, but it is a fun 'whack. we headed up not far past the west side of the pond's outlet after crossing the brook both times. make sure you go around the wallfaces tho, b/c the first time we ran right into them. have fun!
soco7tyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
You going in by way of Round Pond from the Indian Lake Side?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Not sure, Val's in charge of the trip.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was also told to expect some views too. We''ll be sure to hike around some if they're not right at the summit.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
kwc
loser

Be Careful!!

Here's what's posted on the Channel 6 website for today and tomorrow ... be careful on your hike!

Weather Advisories: West to northwest winds will be increasing this afternoon and tonight, and gusty conditions will continue through Sunday. A HIGH WIND WATCH is in effect from 6am Sunday to 6am Monday. Sustained winds during this time will range between 25 and 35 mph, with some gusts to 50 or 60 mph possible, especially over the higher terrain. Leaves remain on most trees and heavy rain during the past week has left the ground soft and tree root systems unstable. With high wind gusts over the next several days, trees may be blown over causing localized damage and localized power outages.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
We are headed in from the Kings Flow/Chimney Mt. trailhead.

And then again we might not be heading in at all. Thanks Kevin for the warning.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
With high wind gusts over the next several days, trees may be blown over causing localized damage and localized power outages.

Localized meaning: fractured clacicles, caved-in skulls, broken necks....

This picture shows what came down right across the trail while we were out hiking Seymour.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
Kevin
**BANNED**

We're still here at Val's, deciding what to do. Time to flip a coin.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Kevin
**BANNED**

Head's wins, we're off to Puffer Pond. CYA in a day.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #13
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Dangerous with the high wind in back of all the rain we've had. Trees fall easily under these conditions....
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #14
Kevin
**BANNED**

We 'survived'. It was never really fun or miserable. Too cold and windy to hang out since the fire was being blown into the lean-to. Ended up crawling into our sleeping bags after dinner and waking the next morning to cold but less windy conditions. Lack of quality sleep and we ended up just hiking out. Didn't look like we'd have views regardless if we climbed Chimney or Puffer today, could see the clouds over the summit from the lean-to.