Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Quags

Question Fishing, Hiking, Camping at Sampson Lake, South Lake, and West Canada Creek

Hey, I am hiking from the Pillsbury trailhead this May with 3-4 others, and looking to spend about 6 days when all is said and done... We plan on spending one night at the Sampson LT, two at the South Lake lean to, a night at either the West Canada Creek LT or one of the other LT's of the surrounding lakes.. then head back. Can anyone please give me some information about these lakes, especially pertaining to fishing (reel or fly??) and the quality of the lakes/trails/LT's... pictures would also be greatly appreciated thanks
Quags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Limekiln

The lakes are beautiful, the fishing's good, and the black flies may be hostile...
Limekiln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quags View Post
... pictures would also be greatly appreciated thanks
Sampson Lake,
Sampson Lake lean-to,
& South Lake:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (78.3 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (143.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (64.7 KB, 180 views)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Quags

Wow even better than i expected thanks for the pictures! and don't worry we'll be packing plenty of DEET! Anyone else have some input?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
wbwells
Travler

Quags PM me I spent some time in there and have compiled info and Maps you may find useful...If You are going to be there a whole week there is lots to do there.

Wbwells

Ever notice that the people who are late
are often much jollier than the people who have to wait for them?
wbwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Quags

PM sent. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Sampson Lake,
Sampson Lake lean-to,
& South Lake:
Tx Justin.These pics are calming,and that dog is ''man's best friend''
I have it on desktop fav.for now. take care. Looncry
Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Quags

Yeah, these pictures definitely making me anxious for my trip up to the West lakes in May (and they make me consider bringing my lab ).... does anyone else have any input/advice about camping, fishing, or hiking in the West lakes region?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
swizzlenutz
Professional Bottle Digger

Caught a 12 inch brookie by the dam and a few 8 inchers from the 1st lean to on cedar. If you go to cedar look for a small cross by the dam. Some ashes were scattered there a few years back and there's a headstone up behind the lean-to. My advice on the black flies is overload a bit on the deet and bring a headnet. They were really bad there when we went up. Keep your food off the ground too. That area was loaded with mice. The scenery back there is awesome. Don't forget your camera and extra batteries. 6 days...wow. I'd be in heaven if I could get away for that long. Swiz
swizzlenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Quags

Wow, thanks.. All good info.. Yeah, luckily we all go to college and so we're gonna head up to ADK before we start our summer jobs/internships

Tags
fishing, lean-to, picture, sampson, south