Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

stripperguy is homeless

Well, not in that sense! But MDB and I have been squatting at my daughter and SIL's house for a while, and will continue to do so until we build a new house.

So it's difficult for me to work on projects with no dedicated space and limited tooling. Even so, my son and my nephew both need paddles for their strippers, and my paddles are approaching 20 years old and showing their age (like I'm not?)

We decided to do a batch of bent shaft paddles. Nothing fancy, pine shafts, cedar blades, phenolic tips, 4 oz glass on the blades. Blades will be 8 x 20, angle about 12 degrees.

I'll try to document as I go along...
Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I'm sorry you're homeless and I hope it won't be for too much longer, but I'll enjoy learning about how you make bent shaft paddles in the meantime. I've made a couple of double paddles but the bent shafts have always looked a bit harder to execute, and I'm especially interested in how you do the phenolic tip protectors.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
gene43t

Hey Stripperguy,

I like your taper jig- looks a lot safer than the store bought one I have.

I have the same table saw- do you cheat and use 10" blades in it like I do lol.

Good luck with the new house!
gene43t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I'm sorry you're homeless and I hope it won't be for too much longer, but I'll enjoy learning about how you make bent shaft paddles in the meantime. I've made a couple of double paddles but the bent shafts have always looked a bit harder to execute, and I'm especially interested in how you do the phenolic tip protectors.
Zach
I joke about being homeless and squatting over here, it's too easy to hang out here with our daughter, SIL and the grandkids. I just don't have much space for projects.

I'll post some more pics showing the shaft assembly, it's pretty simple. The main design goal is to have ALL of the angle joint within the area that will be glassed. I have some drawings that I whipped up if you want them. The phenolic tips will be epoxied on the bottom of the blades before they're glassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene43t View Post
Hey Stripperguy,

I like your taper jig- looks a lot safer than the store bought one I have.

I have the same table saw- do you cheat and use 10" blades in it like I do lol.

Good luck with the new house!
Gene?,
That's one of my SIL's table saws... I dunno what size blade he has on it! Most all of my tooling is packed away in one of the rental property garages. I have a 10" Delta, haven't seen it in a year. I think I still have it!
I was gonna buy a taper jig, but decided to just cobble something together quick. It worked just fine for the 60 cuts I needed to make, took about two minutes to make using scrap wood.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

A quick photo update. It'll be a while before all of the gluing is finished...

Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
58rover

Hey Mike,
I'd like to see final product. I've made about a 1/2 dozen bent shafts also (picture of one attached) I also settled to a 12 deg bend.
Have fun with house, you not only will not have shop space you will not have any time either ha ha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2100134.JPG (82.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg P2100132.JPG (78.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg P2100133.JPG (79.5 KB, 131 views)
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Frankonix

Nice! Would love to see stripperguy's finished work as well.
Frankonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Frankonix

Any updates? Anybody?
Frankonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have ten sets of shaft blanks cut and glued.
It's now up to my son and nephew to take over.
They'll need to rough shape the shafts, add the cedar for the blades, then sand/blend everything. Being homeless, or, more accurately, being a squatter, many of my tools are scattered among 4 different houses. My shaper needs to be moved to my son's house, to make their work easier.
Neither of them are as ambitious as me, nor are they retired like me.

Bulimia, I've tried to prod these guys into action, but they've got their own lives, commitments, schedules, priorities, etc.
When there's some activity on these again, I'll be sure to post pics and updates.

BTW, my son swore he would finish his Opel GT rehab (bought when he was 14 years old) before I finished my CJ5 mods. I finished my Jeep in 2016. Oops.
Next challenge is to finish that Opel before I finish building my new house. I just today got the building permit. I sense another oops coming.
He was just joking last week that by the time he finishes that car, there will no longer be gasoline available.

Hmmm, I may need to reassess the task assignments...
Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I'm sorry to hear about the difference of opinions about timing for your paddle project, but I'll look forward to seeing the update when it comes. That's very exciting news about the building permit, I hope the project will go well. I can't remember how much of the work you were planning to do and how much you were going to hire done, but either way it must be quite a thrill to be about to start.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the difference of opinions about timing for your paddle project, but I'll look forward to seeing the update when it comes. That's very exciting news about the building permit, I hope the project will go well. I can't remember how much of the work you were planning to do and how much you were going to hire done, but either way it must be quite a thrill to be about to start.
Zach
Zach,
We are subbing out the excavation, foundation, framing and roofing.
We also will sub out the insulation and sheetrock and taping. Excavation requires equipment and skills that we just don't have. Likewise for the foundation work, it will be poured walls. The framing will take a week or so with the framers, we would take 2 months. I used to hang a fair amount of sheetrock, but I leave that to the younger guys now. And I can tape joints quite well, but not nearly as fast as a crew on stilts. Insulation is not worth the itchiness, and I'm way past doing roofing.

We'll do the the plumbing, wiring and HVAC, as well as all the ceramic tile and finish floors, trim, and cabinets, vinyl siding...the easy stuff, from my perspective.

It was a long road to get to the permit, I did all the designs and drawings for the house but had to get a PE to stamp the drawings. The town is very difficult to work with, and many employed there have no degrees or professional training, they're just looking for a check in the box on their respective check lists.
And they have very few home owners acting as their own GC, so that aspect also presented many challenges.

I think the actual build will be easier than wading through the bureaucracy of the town's permit process.