Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

When your friend who's never been backpacking before insists on tagging along...

And they proceed to ignore all of your advice all while reminding you that they "know what they are doing:"

DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
Blackflie

I am thinking he will either never go out again or workout that maybe a rucksack is a good idea
Old 12-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
dockless
citizen

That would be fine for motorboat camping overnight on islands on the Mississippi....did you explain you were going to be doing something else?
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Too funny!
I once saw a guy from New Jersey hiking out the Short Swing Trail in the Pharaoh region carrying all his gear in his arms wrapped up in a blue tarp.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Bob K

I did a December trip to Rocky Falls leanto years ago. This required crossing Indian pass brook that was running at the time ( wet feet). My Brother-in-law invited a first time camper for 2 nights. He never had a smile for the whole trip, insisted on sleeping in a closed tent ( think condensation), and destroyed his brand new gortex boots being too near the fire after repeated warnings. It was somewhat entertaining for the rest of us.

On another winter trip to Marcy dam, the same BIL invited a diffrent newby. It rained on the way in and he insisted in changing from his wet poly clothing to " dry cotton". I don't think he ever warmed up. We kept providing rocks warmed in the fire to him. He also insisted on using the one set of hand & toe warmers I brought for him at night vs first thing in the AM. Worst of all, he dropped & lost the lid to my brandy bottle. At least he didn't complain much.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
JoeCedar

The old Rocky Falls lean-to was demolished. A new cedar lean-to was built by BOCES students at Saranac Lake last year, with help from Lean2rescue and materials from the 46ers. It is on the trail side of the brook and visible in winter from the trail junction with the old iron wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockless View Post
That would be fine for motorboat camping overnight on islands on the Mississippi....did you explain you were going to be doing something else?
This wasn't a group that I was involved with in any, way, shape, or form. The caption was rhetorical- we've all probably known someone like this.

Rather, this was a group that passed me on the trail a few years ago while I was hiking in WV that I happened to quickly snap a photo of. I think I may even have posted this photo here before, come to think of it- I just stumbled across it again recently and got a chuckle out of it again and decided to share.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
dockless
citizen

Sorry, I forgot that you do take Boy Scouts camping and therefor would take my comet more seriously than intended. Sorry.

Personally, I joined the Sea Scouts.... Ship Polaris in Saint Louis County at the Elks Club. There were several scout ships with sailboats on The Mississippi river about seven miles upriver from the lock and dam at Alton. We used to race each other. You'd think that camping on islands would be fun till you found nothing but poison ivy and mosquitoes. Had to look for a big sand bar....
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
vtpaws

I was doing some fall fishing on a cold drizzly/sleety day on Cranberry Lake and I beached the boat to pick up some hikers doing the CL50 who were waving for help. One of their friends had brought only a garbage bag to sleep in. He spent the night out in the cold rain/sleet and they flagged us down as they didn’t think he could do the last 15 miles into town. He ruined the trip for the others but they were lucky we came along. No one else was out on the lake that cold weekend.

I only go out with people who I know will be prepared. It’s bad enough when they endanger themselves but if you get hurt - you need to be able to count on your companions.
vtpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Wldrns

Vtpaws, sounds like your friend could use some bushcraft skills or a lesson in primitive survival. With a garbage bag there are ways to spend a reasonable and survivable (though not necessarily comfortable) night in the woods using only natural locally found materials.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
Blackflie

back in the mid to late 70s (in the UK) it was normal to carry a heavy gauge polythene bivvy/survival bag when going into the hills. They were bright red and big enough to get into in an emergency. I am not sure when they went out of favour.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
vtpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Vtpaws, sounds like your friend could use some bushcraft skills or a lesson in primitive survival. With a garbage bag there are ways to spend a reasonable and survivable (though not necessarily comfortable) night in the woods using only natural locally found materials.

This guy definitely wasn’t “trash” bag ready! I do carry a trash bag when I go backpacking. I usually use it as a ground cover for my tent vestibule - but like duct tape - it could be used in many ways. I would love to learn some bushcraft skills, myself. It’s easy to say that sitting by the fire looking out at the snow though. :-)
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpaws View Post
This guy definitely wasn’t “trash” bag ready! I do carry a trash bag when I go backpacking. I usually use it as a ground cover for my tent vestibule - but like duct tape - it could be used in many ways. I would love to learn some bushcraft skills, myself. It’s easy to say that sitting by the fire looking out at the snow though. :-)
It is easy to find the information, either self taught or from an organized program, then go out and try/practice it enough to get skillful enough to save your life, or to just spend the night. I do far more than sit by the fire and say it. I have for years taught boy scouts and their leaders wilderness guiding techniques. As a SAR member and we learn and it is required to demonstrate to be DEC certified as as SAR crew boss as well. And as part of being an instructor for NY Homeland Security, in the land navigation course I teach we have a 3 hour session on primitive survival skills actually out in the field, including building shelters with natural materials and, yes, garbage bags too.. So I do go far beyond sitting by the fire looking out at the snow. And you??
Old 12-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #14
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
It is easy to find the information, either self taught or from an organized program, then go out and try/practice it enough to get skillful enough to save your life, or to just spend the night. I do far more than sit by the fire and say it. I have for years taught boy scouts and their leaders wilderness guiding techniques. As a SAR member and we learn and it is required to demonstrate to be DEC certified as as SAR crew boss as well. And as part of being an instructor for NY Homeland Security, in the land navigation course I teach we have a 3 hour session on primitive survival skills actually out in the field, including building shelters with natural materials and, yes, garbage bags too.. So I do go far beyond sitting by the fire looking out at the snow. And you??
Pretty sure he was talking about himself, and his tongue-in-cheek lack of ambition. At least that's how I read it?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Pretty sure he was talking about himself, and his tongue-in-cheek lack of ambition. At least that's how I read it?
Then I apologize, as it can sometimes be difficult to read what is being meant in a textual content and who it is directed toward. But I stand by making the effort to learn what you have an interest in but do not know.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #16
vtpaws

SHE was talking about HER current lack of exposure to bushcraft and ADMIRATION for those who possess it.i was admitting how easy it was to say I would be eager to learn it - while sitting by the fire. This is an acknowledgement of how much I respect those with the skill and that exercising that skill is not a fireside fancy. The main point of my post was to note that the original post was amusing but one can never be too flip about venturing into the backcountry out of respect for the rangers and others in backcountry who venture out to rescue the responsible who take a bad step - and the guy with the garbage bag who doesn’t know what to do with it. “Happy winter night!”, says VTPaws as she slides under her down comforter, planning her spring ice out fishing trip. I hope to share a trout by the fire with you one day -and to learn how to do so under a bushcraft lean-- just not tonight. ( brrrrrrrrr). :-)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:05 AM   #17
JohnnyVirgil

She! My mistake.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:55 AM   #18
vtpaws

:-) ...the picture doesn’t exactly show it. :-)