Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #21
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
and I like my conifers.

Scent of the pine...
you know how I feel.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #22
Lucky13

I like the big whites , for sure, but I'm really into Hemlocks and Tamaracks, and, hanging out in MRP, Black Spruce. There is a great bunch of Tamaracks up in Zach's neighborhood along County Rt 48 between Richland Center and Pineville, along Cannon's and the Midriver. They should be golding up pretty soon.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #23
wildbrookies

Well, I guess Sero is doing fine,as usual..btw, you would love Jamaica.. Enjoyed the youtube song. No Bob Marley? C'mom mon!

Dam, sorry to about your very serious injury Lucky13! Sounds scary.Glad you got it under control and are in the long healing process. Hopefully, others will chime in on some fall reports to keep you occupied. My local streams look a little low. But, might venture out next week sometime.

Good luck to you all! Lets get this forum hopping again.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #24
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Get better, Lucky!

I've been away as well. I just got back from helping Ross drive across country to go back to school. We broke speed records getting to Colorado and then slowed down. We backpacked into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and also fished the Uncompahdre Beautiful country. Pressured fish, though. We hooked our share of large ones but didn't land those. Ross landed a 22" brown, which was puny compared to some of the fish we saw and hooked.

There's nothing like a cross country road trip with your kid!!!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #25
EagleEd

Should have stopped to see Eagle Crag, as he is out in Colorado with his new girlfriend stopping at National Parks to fish and camp in her RV. He has also had some difficulty catching fish, but that is not unusual for him.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #26
Lucky13

Thx, Vt.

Saw the Doc yesterday, he was very pleased, even a bit amazed to see healing consistent with from 3 to 4 weeks after the accident after 12 days. I WANT TO FISH! Nevertheless, the conservative action plan in case the tendon was cut is to continue to immobilize the finger for another 16 days.

Sounds like a great trip!
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #27
wildbrookies

Very nice VT! Tell Ross I said "Hello"! Was wondering what you guys have been up to.

Glad you guys hit some really beautiful trout country on the way back to Ross' college..Ross always manages to get into a good one.Good to know theres even bigger lunkers lurking there ,but they probably have seen every imaginable fly off of the vise. And spooky too,I`m sure. Those are the rivers my brother(Marzrw) and I have read about and always dreamed of fishing years ago.Hopefully you'll get another chance at them again in the future.

Wb.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 10-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #28
bassanglers912

So, not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but it seems to fit this one, so here goes...
Season so far- 3 brookies, 2 smallies and sunfish. I tried uploading photos, but they are too large. All were caught on either a black panther martin or black "fly/spider-looking" fly.

A little back story... after years of visiting the park and dreaming and 3 years of hard looking with a realtor at both full time and part time homes, we finally got a place this year. We looked water front, mountain top, lakeside and riverside. All said and done, it was the privacy and beauty of a riverside retreat in Hamilton County that hooked us. Part time for now, we plan on retiring there in several years. What a change it has been...despite the screen name- trout are the new passion. We (my wife and I) bought fly rods and a couple packs of flys from Amazon. We self taught over a weekend and started hooking into fish in 3 days. My oldest son who is 8 picked up a rod last weekend and said he likes to fly fish more than anything and keeps asking when we can go to the river and fly fish again!
We have native trout and stocked in our river. They are the most beautiful fish you can imagine, with dark green, almost black backs and the brightest blue halos around their pinkish orange spots on the side. None more that 13 inches in length, but amazing. White/light bellies too. All catch and release- and I will note that the flies unhook wonderfully from the side of the mouth. Looking forward to years and years of fun.
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassanglers912 View Post
So, not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but it seems to fit this one, so here goes...
Season so far- 3 brookies, 2 smallies and sunfish. I tried uploading photos, but they are too large. All were caught on either a black panther martin or black "fly/spider-looking" fly.

A little back story... after years of visiting the park and dreaming and 3 years of hard looking with a realtor at both full time and part time homes, we finally got a place this year. We looked water front, mountain top, lakeside and riverside. All said and done, it was the privacy and beauty of a riverside retreat in Hamilton County that hooked us. Part time for now, we plan on retiring there in several years. What a change it has been...despite the screen name- trout are the new passion. We (my wife and I) bought fly rods and a couple packs of flys from Amazon. We self taught over a weekend and started hooking into fish in 3 days. My oldest son who is 8 picked up a rod last weekend and said he likes to fly fish more than anything and keeps asking when we can go to the river and fly fish again!
We have native trout and stocked in our river. They are the most beautiful fish you can imagine, with dark green, almost black backs and the brightest blue halos around their pinkish orange spots on the side. None more that 13 inches in length, but amazing. White/light bellies too. All catch and release- and I will note that the flies unhook wonderfully from the side of the mouth. Looking forward to years and years of fun.
Great story!! Sounds like you found a slice of heaven!!!
Old 10-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #30
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassanglers912 View Post

What a change it has been...despite the screen name- trout are the new passion. We (my wife and I) bought fly rods and a couple packs of flys from Amazon. We self taught over a weekend and started hooking into fish in 3 days. My oldest son who is 8 picked up a rod last weekend and said he likes to fly fish more than anything and keeps asking when we can go to the river and fly fish again!
Yet another lost soul

Here's wishing you a most satisfying journey!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #31
wildbrookies

Yep!
Yet,another previously normal soul is being lured towards inevitable doom amongst the jagged rocks from those seductive sirens by those gorgeous adk. jewels.

Last edited by wildbrookies; 10-09-2019 at 12:06 AM..
Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #32
bassanglers912

Thanks all! It has been a whirlwind and a blast! Many trip reports to come.
I am thinking about making the whole family play hooky the rest of the week, if the weather holds up!
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #33
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Yep!
Yet,another previously normal soul is being lured towards inevitable doom amongst the jagged rocks from those seductive sirens of those gorgeous adk. jewels.
Help!
Old 10-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #34
Stillhunter

Pauly D. you are very well organized. I probably have bought the same thing far too many times because my storage system needs to be overhauled. Peg hooks look good!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #35
Adironzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Thx, Vt.

Saw the Doc yesterday, he was very pleased, even a bit amazed to see healing consistent with from 3 to 4 weeks after the accident after 12 days. I WANT TO FISH! Nevertheless, the conservative action plan in case the tendon was cut is to continue to immobilize the finger for another 16 days.

Sounds like a great trip!

Hows the hand Lucky?? All cleared for fishing now since we are another 16+ days removed from the last checkup?" I havent let myself get the Spring/Fall Trout addiction just yet (Winter lakers is another story ) so i live vicariously through all of y'all on this site when it comes to seeing absolutely stunning Brook Trout. Hoping you have a stellar end to the season these last few weeks!
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #36
Lucky13

The splint came off Monday. He said when the scabs fall off by themselves, I'm clear to put it into stagnent pools, hot tubs, and dishwater (rats!). He said not to reinjure it before I get the tendon freed up and moving, or it will set up for good, and if I'm not making significant progress at moving it, he'd send me for PT in 3 weeks when I see him again. Since Monday, I've got 90% range of motion, it is weak, but that will come with use. Figure I ought to be good to go by Tuesday, let's see, what is Tuesday, Oh yea, last day of the trout season. Thank heavens for year round seasons on Lake Ontario, likely going to Pulaski Tuesday, the steelhead are starting to show up in good numbers in with the salmon.