Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
myselfnjit

Sneaky Little Pine Martin!!!

So I spent a night at the Bradely Pond Lean-To. It was suppossed to be two but my bear bag was very skillfully cut down and ransacked (I did see the martin running about afterwards). Does anyone have any way short of a bear box to stop these other sly little creatures from having a great feast?
myselfnjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
percious
Transplanted

There are a couple of things you can do, but if they cut the rope, you are probably going to have to just get a canister.

Often times I take the circular part of the heat shield from my stove and hang it above my bear bag in the tree. This way they go down the rope, and then slide off the plate before they can rip a hole in your bag.

Crafty little fellers.

-percious
Old 02-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Lookwhos
Newbie Backpacker

I don't know how enviormentally friendly this is but manny years ago I rubbed a bar of ivory soap all over the rope making it slippery. It was funny hearing the squirls & racoons dropping off the rope all night... I hope it wasn't a danger to the animals but it was 20 years ago and I was young and stupid.
Lookwhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
AdkWiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookwhos
I don't know how enviormentally friendly this is but manny years ago I rubbed a bar of ivory soap all over the rope making it slippery. It was funny hearing the squirls & racoons dropping off the rope all night... I hope it wasn't a danger to the animals but it was 20 years ago and I was young and stupid.
The soap could have actualyl been attracting the animals. The scent of the soap attracts many animals thinking its food, bears especially.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
TEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfnjit
So I spent a night at the Bradely Pond Lean-To. It was suppossed to be two but my bear bag was very skillfully cut down and ransacked (I did see the martin running about afterwards).

Last May I was there and a very curious martin hung around the whole time we were there. We only stayed two nights, but the final morning our bag was very tampered with. Wouldnt be surprised if it was the same little guy!

-Tod
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Lookwhos
Newbie Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkWiley
The soap could have actualyl been attracting the animals. The scent of the soap attracts many animals thinking its food, bears especially.
Good to know... I won't be trying that again. Thanx!
Lookwhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
eghaley
46er #1441

Pine Martens are memory makers. They're part of the experience being in the ADKs. Just be glad they met you.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
ADKlvr

A 50' piece of wire rope (steel cable) in a very small size doesn't weigh more than a sizeable bear bag rope...........but is harder to utilize and a pine martin will probably just scamper out on it and chew the bag anyway..........??????? Bear barrel looks better every day.

Last edited by ADKlvr; 03-18-2006 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: typo
ADKlvr is offline   Reply With Quote