Marcellus Shale: An Environmental Disaster In The Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those things look like giant bombs.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

• Originally posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
      Storage is storage regardless if it's underground or above ground.

My point is it's a huge effect and a readily tracked number wether it's in salt mines or not it's a factor in the market.

If there was no working gas in storage supply could not keep up with winter demand. Its not just about "shutting in" production. The fact that storage is tracking the top of the 5 year average is why Nat Gas is just about the only commodity not skyrocketing right now. If it wasn't for this cold winter prices would probably be below $3.

Working gas in Storage:

More

"Stored natural gas plays a vital role in ensuring that any excess supply delivered during the summer months is available to meet the increased demand of the winter months."

More
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_storage
      I worked in the industry for a number of years. The issue is deliverability, from all sorts of storage, and getting it from storage to the ultimate consumer. Your utility, or someone upstream from him, gets gas from a number of sources and probably has contracts to purchase gas from a number of sources. The guy with gas in a shut in well might sell his gas for less than the guy with gas in a LNG storage farm or the guy with gas in an underground storage facility, but can't get it there as quickly. Someone with immediate capacity will probably charge more for his gas. The distribution system is balancing price, seasonal demand and the spikes in demand due to changes in weather within a season and shunting gas all over the country based upon all of those variables in each region of the country. The utility needs the gas now, so it is there in sufficient quantity when the consumer needs it, so you as a consumer end up with a blended price based upon the prices they pay to the number of sources. This is a gross over-simplification. The reason they need more "high deliverability storage" is to make it a more efficient "on demand" system. That price hasn't spiked and there are no shortages is an indication they are doing a pretty good job.

Comment

• http://news.yahoo.com/

Unemployment in North Dakota has fallen to the lowest level in the nation, 3.8 percent — less than half the national rate of 9 percent. The influx of mostly male workers to the region has left local men lamenting a lack of women. Convenience stores are struggling to keep shelves stocked with food
        Another downside

Last month China's state-owned oil company CNOOC agreed to pay Chesapeake $570 million for a one-third stake in a drilling project in the Niobrara. This followed a $1 billion deal in October between the two companies on a project in the Eagle Ford.
        Creates jobs: Check.
        Sends One Third of Profits to China: Check.

Comment

• I agree with everything you said paradox, as I was oversimplifying as well. However my comments are in response to the statement that gas storage is impossible. Having proven that it is, yes it is very difficult to deliver unless there is a pressurized pipe or it can be liquified a la Europes problem right now. But there is definately a regional aspect to gas prices as well but a very well organized delivery system in the lower 48 especially from the producing regions to the Northeast.

Storage data is announced in regions, prices are all over the place based on point of delivery and then the futures market throws in a whole new vernacular alltogether.

Either way at $4 spot prices these producers have to be taking a beating right now even if they can take advantage of contango in the futures market.
          A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

• Originally posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
            I agree with everything you said paradox, as I was oversimplifying as well. However my comments are in response to the statement that gas storage is impossible. Having proven that it is, yes it is very difficult to deliver unless there is a pressurized pipe or it can be liquified a la Europes problem right now. But there is definately a regional aspect to gas prices as well but a very well organized delivery system in the lower 48 especially from the producing regions to the Northeast.

Storage data is announced in regions, prices are all over the place based on point of delivery and then the futures market throws in a whole new vernacular alltogether.

Either way at $4 spot prices these producers have to be taking a beating right now even if they can take advantage of contango in the futures market.
            We're good. Everything is a question of cost-effectiveness. The guys with old production from 3000' wells are making money at $4. The guys with 18,000' wells and exotic completion costs are probably not, unless the wells are extraordinarily good (high volume) producers.

Comment

• Originally posted by sp_nyp View Post
              Unemployment in North Dakota has fallen to the lowest level in the nation, 3.8 percent — less than half the national rate of 9 percent. The influx of mostly male workers to the region has left local men lamenting a lack of women. Convenience stores are struggling to keep shelves stocked with food

Another downside
              Not if your female

Hawk
              "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• First NY lawsuit...

http://www.pressconnects.com/

Comment

• the well/wells in question is/are vertical wells, not the proposed hyrofracking process that's under going " scrutiny ".
                  Give me the mountains, or give me death.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crokit View Post
                    the well/wells in question is/are vertical wells, not the proposed hyrofracking process that's under going " scrutiny ".
                    In order to do fracking, you need a vertical well first......then you go sideways....

My well water is what scares me .....
                    Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

• Right - the vertical wells also use the hydrofracking process, but it's the High-Volume Horizontal Hydrofracturing process that has caused problems and is drawing so much concern regarding well water contamination, surface water polluton, and air pollution. I liken it to a high-profile, very polluted area just a few miles from my home - Niagara Falls' Love Canal. The same justification used 50 years ago is still used, "It's safe and will create jobs". HVHF is the Love Canal of the 21st Century, and I hope enough people realize that to prevent the rest of the country from making those mistakes, or repeating the mistakes that have already been made in what used to be the Allegheny National Forest of Pennsylvania.
                      "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

• diesel fuel in frack fluids...sometimes

Chemicals used in a process called fracking contaminate water sources, Congressional investigators told the E.P.A.
                        Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                        Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

• Natural Gas Wells Contaminate Watersheds

Great article from New York Times 2/26/11

"Regulations Lax as Gas Well's Tainted Water's Hit Our Watersheds"...

A method to extract more natural gas often produces wastewater laced with toxic substances.

I strongly urge you all to watch the HBO film documentary "GASLAND" by screenwriter Josh Fox.

Bluesman

Comment

• Appropriate Music For Hydrofracking...

Listen to this while reading about "High Volume Horizontal Hydraulic Fracturing, better known as "HYDROFRACKING"...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• The problem is:

The gas companies know all this
                              The lawmakers know all this
                              The federal, State and local officials know all this
                              A good deal of the people receiving payment for the leases know all this
                              The regulators know all this.

None of them care. there is money to be made and campaign donations to be had.
                              "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• E.P.A. Struggles to Regulate Natural Gas Hydrofracking

Taken from the New York Times today, 3/3/11

This is the 4th major story published by the New York Times in a month regarding the E.P.A. and its political struggle to regulate "Hydrofracking" by Natural Gas Companies. It appears "someone" is starting to pay attention to the implications and ramifications associated with that process.

As Hawk says... Nobody Cares... but this is a serious political infringement of our constitutional rights to have access to "Clean Water"...

That's "LIFE" for all of us... and someone has to break the political barriers set forth by the powerful lobbying industry supporting Natural Gas companies. It can't always be about the almighty buck....

This is a good article.....

Comment

Working...
                                X