Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
sam18802
Sam

RE: Winter 2016

Hi everyone! I just moved back East from WA and will be going to school at UVM in the fall! Looking to connect with avid backcounntry skiers or fellow splitboarders. I've definitely been spoiled the past two years with year round turns (most recent two weeks ago on Rainier and Mount Olympus) but I'm very excited to be back in the area! I've spent some time around NY and VT as a kid, but am not familiar with the mountains here other than Mansfield and Whiteface. Fingers crossed for tons of powdery awesomeness this winter! My biggest question is this: have turns been possible in recent years on the Great Range Traverse?
sam18802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
yardsale

Check in with the UVM outing club. They ski/snowboard a lot I think. Rainier is on my agenda for next May/June! What is the "Great Range Traverse", something in the ADK I suppose?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
TCD

Welcome back east! As you may remember, BC skiing in the east is somewhat secretive. Compared to the west, there are very few suitable places. And some of the folks feel that "their" stash is "ruined" if it has even one other track in it. So many secrets are kept.

Outings club is a good bet, as yardsale suggested. Also, hang around shops like OGE and listen to people. Also, just go to likely places, look for people and see if they will let you tag along. And also, do a lot of bushwhacking in summer to likely places; you may find secretly trimmed glades; I have found several through the years, accidentally.

Vermont probably has more than NY, due to the forest type (more open hardwoods, as opposed to spruce thicket). There is BC skiing here in the Adirondacks. There's more open woods in the central Adirondacks, but there's a more active sports community in the High Peaks region, so it's a little scattered.

The GRT itself is generally very poorly suited for BC skiing. Most of that route is steep, thick gnarled and rocky; a narrow rocky path through spruce thicket. Off to the sides there are popular places, though; for example Bennies Brook slide drops from the Great Range and is well known and popular for skiing, and there are others.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

http://www.rastavt.org/
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Nice link! Thanks, M.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Rochester VT (34 years ago). It was summer weather, BC skiing wasn't on the agenda; it was a hiking vacation. But that's a nice area!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Bob K

Welcome back east.

From what you've said, I think you should check into the Jay Peak VT area. Also worth researching abandoned ski areas. See www.nelsap.org. There are some skiable trails at some of these sites. All would need a dumping of snow.

Keep an eye on several Web sites (including hiking + snowmobile) to check for snowfall and surface conditions. Have several places in mind and go for the best snow.

Enjoy, and be prepared to go when the snow is good. Crust happens here more than out west.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

No problemo.

If you don't already support, support these guys:

http://www.adkpowderskier.com/

They have done some work with the DEC/APA to try to define and maintain/create ski trails and glades. Some of the concept is similar to existing trails but some calls for opening up of steeper sections for turning. Somewhat similar to the way the Wright ski trail was designed years ago. The glade concept is similar, but I believe not as aggressive as the RASTA concepts. The proposals are for very minimal clearing of brush and blowdown and adding narrow, singletrack skin tracks for uphill travel.

I believe the idea is to work as closely as possible with the forever wild scope of the forest preserve but expand on current skiing opportunities.

I don't think I read this in their proposal, but I believe some other ideas included keeping hikers off steep sections of ski trail in the summer. The erosion created causes many issues for ski trails - water -> ice, rocks, etc. Although certain people will be up in arms over these "specialized" trails, this was/is the intent with the Marcy and Wright ski trails.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
sam18802
Sam

Thanks for all the info! I'm glad there is a forum for the skiing community here the Northwest uses Turns All Year. Yardsale I highly recommend checking out the trip reports on there if you are taking a trip to Rainier. I'm putting some money aside for a trip back. Disappointment Cleaver route is fun in late Spring with a ski descent. Hit it a few weeks too late to ride down from the top
sam18802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Welcome back to the East!!
You'll find snowfall much more reliable and abundant on your side of Champlain...the ADK high peaks get a surprisingly low amount of snow, especially compared to northern VT.
The exposed skiing on the various slides is extremely variable, you need to have a very flexible schedule to catch the good stuff. Sun crust, boiler plate, wind slabs occur quickly.
And long traverses are required to reach some of the spots. Drew's book on ADK slide skiing has way more info than it seems at first glance.
http://www.mountaineer.com/the-adiro...econd-edition/

The backside of Bolton has some great BC skiing, as does the backside of Stowe. Besides the more abundant snowfall, the open hardwoods(generally speaking) are much better suited for skiing than most ADK lines.
Let's all hope for a better winter than last year's no show...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
yardsale

Thanks Sam,
Lots of good info on that website. Hope we can make it work!
Old 08-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
yardsale

I can't believe I forgot this as I am an active member, but check out the Catamount Trail Association. They have begun to focus more on tours for turns than they have in the past.