Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
rdl

Current ski conditions -- BREIA/Old Forge area ?

Hello All,

I'll be driving to Keene on Saturday from WNY, 90-365-28 route, and would like to find someplace to ski along the way if there's decent coverage.

BREIA doesn't have recent condition updates, their webcam seems to show coverage but no indication what it's like: boilerplate or skiable. I can always go to Santanoni, but am wondering if anyone has recent info on snow coverage at BREIA or along rt 28/30 ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

My general experience with BREIA in the spring has been this: if you can see snow on the webcam, it's skiable.

I was up a few weeks ago and they had A LOT of snow and everything was tracked and packed, so it should last a long time.

It will probably be icy if it's not warm. Take your metal edge skis and have at it. I've skied it when it's rock hard and still had a good time.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Wldrns

It was skiable last weekend, but driving by the area today, I see 80% open grassy bare open farm fields. The past couple of days of warmth and rain have really taken a toll on what once was 3 ft of snow on the level. There is probably still plenty of snow in the woods, but I wouldn't count on it being much fun.

The most snow to be had is now in the town of Montague on Tug Hill:
http://www.northernchateau.com/webcam8.html
Old 03-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Banjoe

We had fine skiing last weekend around Chub Pond. The snow was about 18'' and rock hard when we got there but three or four inches fell quickly ( I was skiing in a white-out just before dusk Friday) so there was just enough powder on top the rest of the weekend. The intention was to go to BREIA Sunday am figuring the groomed trails would not have the exposed spots the southern slopes on snowmobile trails had that we encountered, but the cold took more out of us than expected so we skipped it. The webcam looks the same today as it did last week.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Packed trails hold their snow a lot longer than anything else. I've skied BREIA in the spring when there was almost no snow around but the trails were still good. Some wet spots do crop up from runoff, so bring some silicone and a scraper if you go.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
rdl

forecast is cold and windy for Saturday, with a small chance of snow Friday. BREIA is right on the way, so I'll stop and hope for the best. Thanks all for the info.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
dpc34

what is BREIA ????
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
what is BREIA ????
http://www.breiax-countryski.org/about/

Free groomed trails (when there is sufficient snow) and warming huts on the south eastern edge of Tug Hill, famous for tons of lake effect snow off Lake Ontario. A variety of flatland and steep/moderate hill trails through woodlands and open fields.

Boonville Search and Rescue offers free loaner skis and snowshoes (donations accepted for BSAR operations support). Located on the canal in Boonville, at the start of the trail system.

see also: http://blackriveroep.org

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-09-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote