Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Buckladd

Maple Sap 2018

OK gang, I started this last year and will again. With some free time on this beautiful Adirondack afternoon and a few days of 40's in the forecast for the Lake George area, I couldn't resist strapping on the snowshoes and setting out my ten little taps. One tree started dripping like a leaky faucet and a few others looked ready to go. If it runs this week, I'll boil over the weekend. I know some of you have some real serious operations compared to mine and we had some good discussion last year. If the long-range forecast holds, we could have a good run in this area the rest of February. Good luck everyone!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Woodly

Good luck and have fun Buck; I use to make between 70 and 140 gallons of syrup and had a riot doing it even with the hard work involved, thanks to good friends. That was with a full sized wood fired arch.
I also made as few two or three gallons with a stainless steel keg cut lengthwise and hinged.

Last edited by Woodly; 02-12-2018 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: additional info
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I saw the warm weather forecast but didn't even think of sap. Will definitely hang a couple buckets tomorrow night. Thanks for the heads up Buckladd.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
chaser
pond jockey

I was looking at the 10 day forecast today and I might start tapping this weekend. Down to my last quart from last year and a buddy of mine already texting me that he has a bunch out......
Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Last two days were slow for me
Old 02-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I put out our 40 taps on Wednesday, collected only about 21 gallons on Thursday, won't boil till next week but it looks like it could be flowing nicely then since we're going to have 4-5 days of above freezing temperatures. I don't boil till we have 30 or 40 gallons, we just have a little 2x4 homemade evaporator that I bought at an auction for $60 several years ago. If I start the fire at 6 AM and burn till 10 PM I can sometimes boil off 60 or 70 gallons if the humidity isn't too high.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Buckladd

I checked on buckets this morning, about 1/4 full. I'll be checking the others in the morning.
Should run good next week.

Last edited by Buckladd; 02-25-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Buckladd

Update: Have had three boils so far, each on of 5-10 gallons of sap. It's been running good and I've made two quarts of syrup so far, which is good for my wife and I. One of my neighbors boiled 70 gallons last Sunday and the other boiled 30 on Tuesday. Going to strap on the snowshoes and check the buckets today.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Tug Hill

Don’t forget the next 2 weekends are Designated Maple Weekends. Many sugar bushes are open to the public in Lewis County and other places around the state. It’ fun to tour these operations and see these modern set ups.

Also, the Maple Museum in Croghan host pancake breakfasts March 17 & 18, and 24 & 25.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I've had 6 boils so far, from 35 to 60 gallons, but the sugar content has been lower than some years so when I boil off 50 or 60 gallons we're only getting a gallon and a pint or so each time. So far we're a bit over 6 gallons total for the year, heading for 10 if possible. Firewood is down to a third or less remaining in the sugar house, but I've got extra in other places that I can use if needed, I'll just have to cut it in half to be short enough to go in the evaporator firebox.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Checked my buckets yesterday after being reminded by this thread and was surprised to find them full or over! I was wrongly thinking that things werenít progressing this past week.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
Buckladd

Checked the taps today. Despite the cold, I've actually had some sap running pretty good in a few trees but the ones that have been big producers up to this point have dropped off. After Tuesday, the forecast looks promising.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #13
serotonin
ember

Our trees got real slow for the last two weeks.
We anticipate a new trickle to begin again soon, and a fluid flow commencing circa Sunday.

We shall see.....

Might be busy.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #14
madison

Down here in the Fingerlakes area we had a good run a few weeks ago. We only have 4 taps but got over 50 gallons of sap.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
Buckladd

I think things are winding down in my area (Lake George). Out of ten taps, only a few trees are producing and the temps are expected to stay above freezing most nights this week. I had a good run for my little operation, especially in early March. I'm set for the year!
Old 04-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I pulled my maple taps a couple weeks ago as they were mostly dry but maybe I should have kept them as I saw plenty of buckets still out this weekend and I could see plenty of liquid in them. I did however tap some birch and that is going gangbusters right now. Iím reducing it to a nice tasting liquid for use in brewing, my goal is a 1 gallon batch of alcoholic birch beer.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #17
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
I pulled my maple taps a couple weeks ago as they were mostly dry but maybe I should have kept them as I saw plenty of buckets still out this weekend and I could see plenty of liquid in them. I did however tap some birch and that is going gangbusters right now. Iím reducing it to a nice tasting liquid for use in brewing, my goal is a 1 gallon batch of alcoholic birch beer.
Is that Yellow Birch [wintergreen flavor] you speak of?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #18
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Iím using white birch but yellow is fine too. As for wintergreen flavor I wouldnít go that far but it is a refreshing flavor with some mildly minty notes.