Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
MSB

2 night memorial day trip?

Hello everyone,

New here, so please forgive me if this isn't an appropriate thread. I was looking for some advice. Hiking partner and I planned on doing a two night backpacking trip Memorial Day weekend. I know, pretty silly. We are second guessing going to high peaks now.

I would appreciate if you had any advice for trails we could do that meet these requirements:

Two nights total, so I guess technically two nights, three days

Looking for peaks, or at least one peak

Backcountry camping

Moderate miles per day (no more than 5-6 miles a day, including back to car. My hiking partner is very set on that)

Solitude is nice, but not a requirement... but being able to actually pitch a tent somewhere is clearly a requirement.

Any advice would be amazing.

Thank you!
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Welcome to the forum, MSB! It's a bit hard to tell from your message if you're asking for suggestions in the High Peaks area, or outside of it. If within the Eastern High Peaks, please make sure that you're familiar with the various regulations (bear canisters, no fires, camping restrictions, etc.). A summary can be found here: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23488

I'd start as early in the day as possible since it will probably be a crowded holiday weekend. One idea in the high peaks area is to hike to the Bouquet lean-to in the Dix Wilderness. There is a designated tent site uphill from the lean-to. You could start from the Round Pond trailhead on Route 73 (4.2 mi.) or take the Old Dix trail from the Ausable Club (4.7 mi.). Next day, you could hike up a fairly steep 2.2 mi. to Dix, with fantastic views, then return to camp and relax near the river (if the bugs aren't too bad ). Last day, you could even hit another peak such as Noonmark or Round Mountain on your way out.

Outside of the High Peaks, there are dozens of options, so it's a bit tough to narrow it down to a few ideas without specific criteria. Do you have a preference of where to go in the Adirondack Park? Eastern, Western, Central, etc.?
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The most crowded area by far will likely be the Eastern High Peaks. Close runners up will be the Dix Mountain Wilderness, Giant Mountain Wilderness, Western High Peaks, and Pharaoh Lake Wilderness (not in the High Peaks region but it sees similar levels of popularity). Finding an open campsite in any of these areas can be a challenge on a holiday weekend if you don't get an early start on Friday.

Areas like the West Canada Lakes Wilderness, the Siamese Ponds Wilderness, and the Silver Lake Wilderness are generally good for solitude but even some of these areas will likely see moderately high levels of use that can still mean extra effort on your part to find an open campsite. Areas that are less popular than the High Peaks get less use, but they also have fewer established/designated tent sites than the High Peaks so it doesn't take as much of an increase in use to fill those areas to capacity.

So yeah, in general- if you want to avoid the worst of the crowds, stay out of the High Peaks region. But if you want to avoid competition for campsites in general- you really need to either go really remote (Cold River area of the Western High Peaks, Five Ponds Wilderness, more remote sections of the West Canada Lakes), or get an early Friday start (like Friday morning) and plan to base camp (not relocate camp each night).

Alternatively, if pushing your trip off a week or two is an option- I'd strongly suggest at least considering this. The first few weekends after Memorial Day will be pretty quiet, even in the High Peaks. June in general is not a super busy month in the backcountry- after the chaos of Memorial Day, the use doesn't really pick up again in earnest until after the start of July.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
TCD

But D, don't forget to mention the reason why it's usually quiet in June - that's usually "black fly hell." Of course this is variable, but June is usually the worst month for bugs.

MSB, you indicate that you would like at least one "peak." Do you mean a peak on the 46 list? Or just a nice mountain with views? Makes a big difference in what people will recommend...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Check out the Boreas Ponds & surrounding peaks before they become as popular as Heart Lake and Marcy Dam.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Check out the Boreas Ponds & surrounding peaks before they become as popular as Heart Lake and Marcy Dam.
That would be a very good idea.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
But D, don't forget to mention the reason why it's usually quiet in June - that's usually "black fly hell." Of course this is variable, but June is usually the worst month for bugs.
That's a good point, but they usually aren't much better Memorial Day Weekend than they are in June.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
MSB

Thank you for all the replies. Just wanted to say I will be answering your question etc, but the trip is off for now... cat is seriously ill and there isn't anyone around to take care of him. Real bummer.

But I'm going to post with answers to questions for possible future reference.

Thanks again!
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Sorry to hear about your cat. The trails will be there whenever you need them.
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
equyst

Loving this thread! sub'd
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
Kelly1983

Base camp and day camps from this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
That would be a very good idea.
Hi,

I'm looking to plan a 5 day trip (M-F) towards the end of August and this post caught my eye. I would like a hike-in base camp with multiple options for day hikes up peaks with nice views (doesn't have to be high peaks). Is there something like this in the Boreas Pond region? Could you/anyone suggest any ideas?

Thanks
Kelly1983 is offline   Reply With Quote