Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
potterhomestead

hawk vittles

hi everyone-
we're planning a trip into cedar lakes this spring, a long time tradition in May...looking to lighten the load/weight of food. does anyone know if hawk vittles is still in business? it's hard to tell from the web site if it is current.
many thanks!
potter homestead
potterhomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
nutmeg creeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterhomestead View Post
hi everyone-
we're planning a trip into cedar lakes this spring, a long time tradition in May...looking to lighten the load/weight of food. does anyone know if hawk vittles is still in business? it's hard to tell from the web site if it is current.
many thanks!
potter homestead
I would try to submit an order. Please let us know
Old 04-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterhomestead View Post
hi everyone-
many thanks!
potter homestead
I bought some Hawk vittles a few years back. I was very pleased with most of his stuff, but I ultimately started drying my own foods.
If you have an oven, you can easily dry your favorites meals yourself, and save some money while you're at it!!
Quite a few of the members here dry their own meals, maybe they'll chime in.
A few hours with the oven at a low setting (150 or 175F) will do the job. Some foods rehydrate better than others, best to experiment beforehand.

I have a favorite breakfast comprised of eggs, grits, cheese and ham that packs a lot of energy and tastes great (to me, anyway) and rehydrates very well.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Pauly D.

Yes they are. I recently ordered a bunch of meals for Winter camping. Good stuff!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I bought some Hawk vittles a few years back. I was very pleased with most of his stuff, but I ultimately started drying my own foods.
If you have an oven, you can easily dry your favorites meals yourself, and save some money while you're at it!!
Quite a few of the members here dry their own meals, maybe they'll chime in.
A few hours with the oven at a low setting (150 or 175F) will do the job. Some foods rehydrate better than others, best to experiment beforehand.

I have a favorite breakfast comprised of eggs, grits, cheese and ham that packs a lot of energy and tastes great (to me, anyway) and rehydrates very well.
Ditto to this. Hawk's Vittles were good but I've moved on to dehydrating my own stuff. I purchased a Nesco dehydrator (similar to this one) 3 years ago from Amazon for about $60 and it has already paid for itself.

I purchased this Backpack Gourmet book to get me started which has a ton of good recipes for dehydrating (or for dinner that night if you want!). I'm 95% sure all of Hawk Vittles are based on recipes in the book, I assume with his own tweaks and improvements. Now, I'll try to dehydrate most anything I cook. My go to's are chili and lasagna. This year I tried dehydrating Shepherd's Pie (the meat and veggies part). I haven't tried rehydrating it yet but I'm optimistic! I plan to bring instant potatoes to plop on top.
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
Ditto to this. Hawk's Vittles were good but I've moved on to dehydrating my own stuff. I purchased a Nesco dehydrator (similar to this one) 3 years ago from Amazon for about $60 and it has already paid for itself.

I purchased this Backpack Gourmet book to get me started which has a ton of good recipes for dehydrating (or for dinner that night if you want!). I'm 95% sure all of Hawk Vittles are based on recipes in the book, I assume with his own tweaks and improvements. Now, I'll try to dehydrate most anything I cook. My go to's are chili and lasagna. This year I tried dehydrating Shepherd's Pie (the meat and veggies part). I haven't tried rehydrating it yet but I'm optimistic! I plan to bring instant potatoes to plop on top.
Very true, Hawk did base his vittles on the first edition of the Linda Yaffe book. I started using it long before Hawk started his business. It has recipes that you would never think of doing yourself, but if you try a few it will lead you to creating your own new and unusual but very successful meals in the backcountry. Go forth and freely experiment.

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-11-2018 at 09:06 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
potterhomestead

thanks so much for the responses to my question-WOW! i will try to order from Hawk in the next day or so. and, i'll consider dehydrating meals myself, sounds like a great idea. feeling a little pressed for time with this trip, though.
gotta love this forum, folks are so generous with their knowledge and ideas!
many thanks for your responses-
PH
Old 04-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Yes. Hawk VittleS is still in business. This is our 11th year serving the backpacking community. And yes, many of my meals are based on Linda’s book. And yes, you can save money by dehydrated tour own meals. However for those that like the convenience of having them cooked and shipped, we’re here to serve you.

Hawk

Http://hawkvittles.com
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #9
rachelsdad

Quote:

Ok as a public service you HAVE to share that recipe.

Please.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
geogymn

Hawk, Good to see that you are still walking this earth. Hope all is well! Geo
Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Wldrns

It has been a long time, Hawk. You appear to be monitoring the forum. Glad to finally see a living post from you. Be well.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
fvrwld

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post

I love your Shepard's Pie idea. Thank you for sharing. I am definitely going to try that.

I dehydrate meals quite a bit not only for backpacking but also when traveling by plane to an outdoors destination where we will be camping. I too have 'graduated' from Yaffee's book and now create my own recipes. I was going to start a blog but have been in grad school for what seems like an eternity.

Here is one of my latest recipes:

Makes 8 servings
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chicken and Vegetables with Peanut Sauce.pdf (186.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #13
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Wow,
Hawk, glad to hear you're still active and supplying those vittles...haven't seen you since that gathering at Gary's with Kevin, Val, Russ...
Hope all is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post
Ok as a public service you HAVE to share that recipe.

Please.
Mr. dad,
My public service won't be all that noteworthy--my fav dried breakfast is just grits (a touch of butter and sugar to taste), scrambled eggs, NY extra sharp cheese and some lunchmeat ham. That's it, cook the grits and eggs separately, slop it all together, spread it out on a cookie sheet to dry. Then put the dried breakfast in the best Ziploc you can buy.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
Wldrns

I have found that cooked eggs do not rehydrate well by themselves. But, as a result of experimentation thanks to incentive from the likes of Linda Yaffe, if you mix eggs with a filler/binder, such as grits, potatoes, couscous or something like that, then you can get a pretty good dehydrated meal out of it.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #15
geogymn

Quote:

the best Ziploc you can buy.
A Food Saver vacuum sealer might be in order, I use one to carry dry socks on special occasions. Waterproof, and in the case of food, spill proof.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #16
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Wow,
Hawk, glad to hear you're still active and supplying those vittles...haven't seen you since that gathering at Gary's with Kevin, Val, Russ...
Hope all is well.
That was such a great time. I think we had enough food to feed a small army. Should do something like that again.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
A Food Saver vacuum sealer might be in order, I use one to carry dry socks on special occasions. Waterproof, and in the case of food, spill proof.
The problem with vacuum sealers is if you have hard sharp edged food chunks (especially pasta, jerky, etc), the vacuum may cause bag punctures. That can happen with ziplock bags too, but I always double bag with freezer weight bags and rarely have punctures. Keep in the freezer until ready to travel, just in case there is any residual moisture.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The problem with vacuum sealers is if you have hard sharp edged food chunks (especially pasta, jerky, etc), the vacuum may cause bag punctures. That can happen with ziplock bags too, but I always double bag with freezer weight bags and rarely have punctures. Keep in the freezer until ready to travel, just in case there is any residual moisture.
I vacuum seal all mine but only the seal part, I don't actually vacuum the air out. I feel like the vacuum seal bags are more air tight than regular ziplocs (I could be wrong in that assumption). And the bags seems to be thicker and less likely to puncture. They get stored in the vegetable drawers in my fridge (since I never have any vegetables in there )
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #19
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Yes. Hawk VittleS is still in business. This is our 11th year serving the backpacking community. And yes, many of my meals are based on Linda’s book. And yes, you can save money by dehydrated tour own meals. However for those that like the convenience of having them cooked and shipped, we’re here to serve you.

Hawk

Http://hawkvittles.com
Glad to see you're still in business. Miss reading your comments and observations.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
potterhomestead

hi all-
i just placed an order with Hawk Vittles, good to know that he's still in the business. i've ordered before and can say that the food is very good! it's been an interesting exchange between everyone that came from my question...now if only spring will arrive so that we can get into cedar lakes without going through a foot of snow!!! (we've done that before in May, with a canoe and fresh food)
again, thanks for everyone's input-
PH