Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
tenderfoot

Inn for the night

I live in Rochester and have family business that takes me to Plattsburgh sometime in the next two weeks. Was looking at hotels/motels in Plattsburgh but none look as comfortable as my hammock. So I am thinking of splitting the trip and stopping off on way up and/or back and getting in a quick night under the stars.
  • Trail-head on or close to one of the several routes that cut through (28, 30, 8, 9, etc.)
  • Designated campsite preferred, Lean-To ok but I would move 150' away.
  • Waterfront location preferred
  • Far enough in so I do not hear highway but less than 3 miles
  • Well established trail that can be followed with dwindling sunlight (experienced hiking at night but I do not wish to bushwhack.)
  • Easy to moderate grade preferred if trail is on long side
  • Might be fun to tread on the NPT some

I would welcome your thoughts. I winter hammock so I am ok with snow (saw it in Catskills last week) and low temps.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Buckladd

Most state campgrounds open next weekend. Cranberry Lake on Rt. 3 might work out. Not free, but cheaper than a hotel with a lake and hiking trails scattered about.

Ausable Pt on Lake Champlain is just south of Plattsburgh, not that desolate though.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
tenderfoot

Thank you. I am actually looking to stretch legs a bit. Park at a trail-head with decent parking, walk in a mile or so and make camp. I think RV camping, front country camping at a state park and backpacking are all good but different things. Looking for the backpacker option.

The recent thread from 'rachelsdad' has some interesting options. Cascade pond. Tirrell Pond may be a bit far in.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Bark Eater Too

Cascade Pond is very nice. You would likely have it to yourself that early in the season.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
bluequill

On Rt 3, between Bloomingdale and Saranac Lake, you could hike into Moose Pond on an old truck trail. The walk is an easy mile and a half. There are a couple of campsites directly on the pond. Moose Mt, Mackenzie and Whiteface are your backdrops. Parking for just a couple of cars at the trailhead/register and foot bridge over the Saranac but additional (off shoulder) parking is availale on Rt 3.

Just a note about parking there.....the Saranac is over its banks right now and that parking area is very wet right now. I should be ok in a couple of weeks but just be aware.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Woodly

If you are headed to P-burg go to Taylor Pond and hike out to one of the leantos especially the one/s on the west side. Trail on east may be under water, and I don't mean wet, I mean under knee deep water.
Or go to the Silver Lake Range a couple miles west of Taylor Pond, park and take trail and then bushwack as far as you care to-No place is wilder, prettier or lonelier, maybe equal but not better.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
If you are headed to P-burg go to Taylor Pond and hike out to one of the leantos especially the one/s on the west side. Trail on east may be under water, and I don't mean wet, I mean under knee deep water.
Keep in mind that those lean-tos are reservable sites that are part of the Taylor Pond Campground, which opens on May 18th. To use them after that date requires a fee (and likely reservations).

I believe that they are first-come, first-serve before the campground opens, but you might want to double check on that with the DEC just in case- it's possible that you may still need to secure a permit from a Forest Ranger to use them.

Last edited by DSettahr; 05-08-2018 at 09:18 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Grass Pond off of Route 30 and near Paul Smith's is about a mile and a half hike in, and is beautiful, quiet, and serene.

There's some nice designated car camping sites on the end of Slush Pond Road, also off of Route 30 near Paul Smith's. This is a seasonal road so it may not be open to motor vehicles yet, but it's just over a mile walk in to the pond.

There's a designated tent site about a mile and a half down the St. Regis Mountain Trail (the clearing before the start of the main climb, where the observer's cabin used to stand). You could pair an overnight in this site with an early morning ascent of St. Regis for sunrise.

There's 3 lean-tos open to public use (same regulations as state land) on the Paul Smith's Easement, in the vicinity of Osgood and Church Ponds. They can be a little tricky to find but not impossible.

I'm not sure what the current status of Floodwood Road is, but there's a nice designated tent site on Floodwood Pond on the north side of the outlet that is about a 1.5 mile hike in from the road.

It's a likely bit more of a drive out of your way, but the old Debar Game Management Area off of Route 26 near Loon Lake has a designated tent site near the trailhead. (Or at least it used to- I didn't see it on a recent visit to the area but I was also passing through on my way to Skiff Pond and wasn't really looking for it.) (The road into here is also seasonal and may not be open yet, but to hike in is not long or hard.)

The east side of Jones Pond near Rainbow Lake has some very nice designated car camping sites. This area especially tends to be fairly popular later in the season, so now would be a good time to camp here before use starts to pick up.

Franklin Falls Pond has a designated site or two, just off of River Road and near the inlet on the west side of the pond.

Coperas Pond is off of Route 86 near Lake Placid. It's a short (but steep) hike into the pond. There's a lean-to on the north shore, and a nice designated site opposite on the south shore.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
rachelsdad

Not sure if this fits the bill but how about hiking into Janacks Landing from Cranberry/Wanakeena. Rochester to Watertown, Rt 3 you're there. Probably a tad muddy tho.

If you're coming up the 18th and the weather stinks you can help me haul the solar array batteries to my place in Star Lake.

It will stretch your arms, not your legs! And I pay in food & bev.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Muddy Creek

If you haven't gone yet, you might want to consider that, last I heard, DEC campgrounds were not open to the use of camping hammocks. You can hang one to lounge in but not to sleep in, I'm told.

I'm a ground dweller when I'm with my family at a state campground (I like Taylor Pond) but by myself, I avoid the issue by hiking into one of the numerous state forests and hanging my hammock.

Wayne
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
tenderfoot

Thanks. I almost did St Regis but actually got out of Plattsburgh way ahead of schedule so pushed through to Rochester. Am now regretting it but made sense at the time. Will file these tips away for another trip (that file is getting thick!)

Yes - aware of the DEC hammock rule. I pulled into Rogers rock once to check it out and was amazed at how close the sites were. Not my cup of tea.