Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #21
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
Thanks Woodly. My understanding is that it is a repellent and not designed to kill the insects. I didn't notice any insects dropping around me. They just seemed to keep their distance. I am probably over-cautious, but I use an apron, mask, goggles and heavy rubber gloves when I apply it to my clothing (outdoors). I would rather have the repellent on my clothing rather than apply DEET and other chemicals directly to my skin. But that's just my preference. Thanks again.
No! It kills! And is indiscriminate on what it kills. It is a neuro-toxin.
I use it but won't put it on my skin and you are wise to spray it with discretion and protection.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #22
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
Thanks Woodly. My understanding is that it is a repellent and not designed to kill the insects. I didn't notice any insects dropping around me. They just seemed to keep their distance. I am probably over-cautious, but I use an apron, mask, goggles and heavy rubber gloves when I apply it to my clothing (outdoors). I would rather have the repellent on my clothing rather than apply DEET and other chemicals directly to my skin. But that's just my preference. Thanks again.
Permethrin is not much of a repellent, really. It's an insect neurotoxin. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/Permtech.html
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #23
Woodly

Also, JB , Deet is deemed safe by pretty much every health organization in the world and has been used hundreds of millions of times-if it was unhealthy I'd like to believe we all would have seen a significant resulting problem/s.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #24
jblaser

Right Woodly, I have been using DEET for more than 40 years and have had no ill effects (that I know of). I prefer combining the use of Permethrin and DEET to minimize the overuse of either. Thanks again for the input.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #25
Grey-Jay

decades ago, we found Avon skin so soft effective for black flies. Not sure if still made. Bounce dryer sheets also worked.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #26
EagleEd

Bounce Sheets

Don't let the Bounce sheets touch any part of your skin. Years ago I used Bounce sheets under the brim of my hat over both ears. After fishing for about two hours we were on the way home when I got terrible headaches and sick to my stomach up chucking all the way back to camp. Later I read an article about the skin absorbing the chemicals in the Bounce sheets and it is not a good thing.
Ask on Google about the consequences of using Bounce sheets.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #27
Wldrns

Bounce sheets are also a mouse repellent. We spread them around the floor at camp and have eliminated a mouse infestation problem.

Around the Forestport-White Lake area, the black flies have given way to raveneous mosquitoes now. No Black flies in sight. Strange, in years past I remember being on boy scout wilderness trips with BFs remaining supreme as late as the week after the 4th of July.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-27-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #28
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Bounce sheets are also a mouse repellent. We spread them around the floor at camp and have eliminated a mouse infestation problem.
I often buy, repair and sell insurance wrecked cars, motorcycles, and campers...
I have found several campers (both hard side and pop ups) with mouse nests made from dryer sheets!! I can't say if they were "Bounce" brand or not.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #29
Woodly

Bounce Sheets also MAY rid closets of moths.

Stripperguy, your post reminds me of people using mothballs to rid places of mice but ask an exterminator if he ever found a nest full of mothballs-he likely has

Wldrns-I'll bet the blackflies will return.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #30
DuctTape
Out of Shape

bf's out in Seward Range, and Cold River country. Annoyance factor dependent on individual tolerance level.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #31
Justin
Moving along

Black flies are out?
Mosquitos too?
Weird!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #32
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Very few black flies on the Giant North Trail up to the lean-to on Saturday 5/26 during the 46r trail work trip. I left with 1-2 bites, but they were mostly just annoying. No noticeable amount of mosquitoes (yet!).
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #33
Woodly

My friends say I am a ''Bug Barometer", when I go inside the bugs are real bad.

I use to be a 'chick magnet' now I'm a 'Tick magnet'.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #34
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Did some family hiking in the pigeon lake wilderness sunday and a bushwhack fishing trip monday in the southern adk and found the blackflies to be very sparse relatively speaking.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #35
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Does anyone by chance have any updated info on the black flies? Particularly I'm interested in the Southern Adirondacks. I'm hoping this recent heat wave really did some damage to them.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #36
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Does anyone by chance have any updated info on the black flies? Particularly I'm interested in the Southern Adirondacks. I'm hoping this recent heat wave really did some damage to them.
No real issue from black flies any more. With this heat, the deer flies have now taken their place on the front stage in the southern/western route 28 corridor.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #37
trent
OMG they killed Kenny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
No real issue from black flies any more. With this heat, the deer flies have now taken their place on the front stage in the southern/western route 28 corridor.
Cool, not surprising. Thanks for the info.

Now to play the game of let it swarm on my head, let it land, and SMACK and try to not knock myself out.

Just out of curiosity, when did they die out this year, in general? Seems this thread stopped getting activity late May, but I would suspect they were still going into June.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #38
Wldrns

The worst of the BF hoard seemed to be waning around June 18 or so. I was training guides on Lows during that week this year and while still bothersome, they were not so bad as they were previously. However, I have led treks in other years when they were swarming horribly even during the next week after July 4th.