Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Chef
Sir Loin

Cave on Colden?

Has anyone seen or heard of a cave somewhere on Mount Colden?
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
eddogg12
...46 or Bust!

I believe there is a cave near Crane Mountain, but I'm not famaliar with one on Colden. Maybe someone else can comment.
eddogg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

There's the "Ice Cave" on Colvin, never heard of one on Colden.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Bill I.

The trail from Lake Arnold passes under an overhanging boulder near the summit... could this be the "cave"?
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
Tuchov
Pirate

That overhang is the closest thing to a cave on Colden I've ever heard of. And even then, its more like 2 wedged rocks.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Rik
H-E-R-O

There is one on Gothics.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Chef
Sir Loin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuchov View Post
That overhang is the closest thing to a cave on Colden I've ever heard of. And even then, its more like 2 wedged rocks.

Is it large enough to climb under? I read a story that Mr. Van H slept in a cave on Colden. I have never seen it and I was wondering if any of you have.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
hillman1
skiing demi-god

Rik--please pm me with info on the Gothics cave. Big enough to explore or just a room?
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
WalksWithBlackflies
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddogg12 View Post
I believe there is a cave near Crane Mountain, but I'm not famaliar with one on Colden. Maybe someone else can comment.
There are several near Crane. Many disappearing streams and large sinkholes near the truck trail.
WalksWithBlackflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Tuchov
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Is it large enough to climb under?... I have never seen it and I was wondering if any of you have.
http://ghost.zerowing.org/gallery/Co...den%20075.html

I know they're huge rocks, but I wouldn't even take shelter under them in the event of an emergency (weather related). I'd make for the treeline as fast as possible. Those rocks may have been there for hundreds/thousands of years, but one shift with you under it, and you'll be... "merged" with the mountain.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Has anyone seen or heard of a cave somewhere on Mount Colden?
The Lake Colden trail to Colden is a VERY STEEP trail, aka "Lake Colden Horror Trail," "is it a possibility the cave could be on that side?" I've only climbed Colden once from that angle and descended that side only once, all other times I've done Colden from either the Trap Dike, Felspar Trail Slide of 1990 and Lake Arnold. I don't ever remember seeing a cave. I would also assume it would be the two overhanging boulders on the Lake Arnold side, almost near the true summit, that is being referred to as a Cave. I wouldn't necessarily call it that.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
Tyler

The caves on Chimney Mt. are by far the best caves in the Adirondacks
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
tgoodwin

Yes, there is a cave on Colden

Yes, there are some caves just off the eastern side of the summit of Colden. Just south of the balanced rock there is a trail that goes to the view of Marcy and other peaks to the east. Just below and to the left are some large boulders that have pulled away from the mountain and provide some interesting passages to crawl/walk around in. Here is a photo inside one of the passages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Geoffin Colden cave.JPG (58.3 KB, 323 views)
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
The caves on Chimney Mt. are by far the best caves in the Adirondacks
Wow that's quite a statement!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
Tyler

Well no, I haven't been inside EVERY cave in the dacks, but I have explored the caves on Chimney Mt. 5 times, and I haven't been able to find the end of them yet. It's quite the extensive labyrinth, drops down 100's of feet, and contains numerous large rooms... *(not to mention a LOT of bats and fascinating ice columns).

Don't go without friends, rope, and someone with knowledge of the cave system... Going beyond the 12 foot drop after "Eagle Hall" is quite a commitment.

These caves on Colden sound rather intriguing though, excellent information!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 AM   #16
Tuchov
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac View Post
There's the "Ice Cave" on Colvin, never heard of one on Colden.
I've seen this on some USGS maps, but theres very/extemely little literatre or information anywhere online from what I've been able to find. Is it inaccesable, or does nobody visit it?
I'm kinda interested to go check it out and get a few pictures of the first few feet [I'm a hiker, not a spelunker].
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
Chef
Sir Loin

With a little more research and a few more miles, I climbed Colden and found the huge boulders that are like caves just off the summit on both sides. I was completely happy with finding them until I was hiking around the southern end of Lake Colden where I took this picture. There is what looks like a cave, or something interesting on the southwestern side of the mountain. Has anyone else seen this or better yet, has anyone bushwhacked over to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coldencave.jpg (83.0 KB, 185 views)
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
-John Muir

46r #6678
4th Round 25/46
46W 20/46
NE111 53/115
7 Summits 0/7
Old 07-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #18
TCD

You have seen it. Now, you will have to go there.

This curse happens to me all the time. (Actually, I enjoy it; it's my wife who sometimes regards it as a curse.)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #19
TJW

yes there is (or was) a cave on the summit of Colden. i was in it in 1990. its large enough for several adults..dont drop any gear tho..
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #20
TJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
Yes, there are some caves just off the eastern side of the summit of Colden. Just south of the balanced rock there is a trail that goes to the view of Marcy and other peaks to the east. Just below and to the left are some large boulders that have pulled away from the mountain and provide some interesting passages to crawl/walk around in. Here is a photo inside one of the passages.
yes sir...looks very much like thats the one! ive been there! good hideout in a whiteout
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote