Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
bioguide

A couple of days muzzle loading...

I head in to set up my base camp for this yearís hunting season and promptly head off and hike the mountain. There I spend 2 nights in my hammock shelter for 3 days hunting with my muzzle loader. I spend ~16 hrs total in the tree stand and nothing shows. Disappointed I head out Sunday and still hunt my way down the mountain. Iíll be returning for the regular gun opener and plan to hunt from base camp for a few days. My plan this year is to hunt a few days at a time over the gun season.

Video of my trip:

https://youtu.be/BqlzwuCwIvw

Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Bounder45

Beautiful scenery on the boat ride in. It's tough hunting up there. Past few weekends I've been up, the weather was far too warm for practical hunting (and the leaves were still up).

Good luck to you on regular season! I'm hoping for some success on my rifle trips up there, but you never know with the ADK's....which is half the charm I suppose.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Chris I

Seems like similar story across the board. Saw 3 on the walk in, pre sunrise.

Saturday I sat in stand for 4 hours where I typically see 10+ deer within first couple of hours.

Did some walking, didn't see one flag.

Sunday hunted just on the line of Northern Zone, nothin again.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
Edb 46 er

"There Be bucks"
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Mallard1100

Nice report bio. looking forward to your future reports.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Robin

Nice video, enjoyed that.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
wildbrookies

Very nice video Bio!! I am also looking forward in seeing your future trips on video!! Thanks again for sharing!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
fxd79

Enjoyed the video. Looking forward to the regular season footage.
fxd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
Buckladd

I was tied up all weekend with a conference in Lake George. Did get out for a few hours Saturday morning and saw 2 does. This week I've been hunting mornings and evenings near home and working in between, even though I'm technically on vacation.

Anyway, I'm seeing a few bucks on my trail-cam near a small food plot on my property. So Monday evening I set up an ambush about 150 yards in the woods from the food plot. Yesterday I pulled the SD card and saw where I busted the buck when coming out of the woods. The trail-cam caught him mid-air. He was, of course, in the food plot. So, I've sat near the plot the last two nights and no deer have shown. I'm headed for the mountain tomorrow, tired of this sitting biz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buck.jpg (92.1 KB, 217 views)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
St.Regis

Cool photo! That field where your trail cam is set up is on a pretty steep hill.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
geogymn

Another great video! I don't know how you guys can sit so long in a tree stand. I know that it is a best way to score, especially an Adirondack buck, but I lack those Zen-like qualities. Kudos!
Old 10-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
EagleCrag

Buckladd: What is that in the upper left part of the photo? It almost looks like a bobcat.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Buckladd: What is that in the upper left part of the photo? It almost looks like a bobcat.
Just a rock with some grass surrounding it.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Stillhunter

Nice video and update Bio. Really enjoy your water approach footage. I was up for 2 days of muzzle loading and scouting on Thursday & Friday. The weather was too nice. Warm and breezy. Did not see any deer and very little visible sign. Still very early. Good luck. Hope you get the big one during gun season.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #15
bioguide

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I headed back this past Friday... nice weather but way too warm. Didn't see anything and there was very little sign. I stayed away from my cameras on the hill and did some still hunting in the low lands. I also hunted/scouted out some new area while keeping my eye out for a new winter camping site. For what's its worth:

https://youtu.be/06bcTgrwCNI

Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #16
SyrMatt

What are you burning in your stove? I couldn't quite make out in the audio.
SyrMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:06 AM   #17
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrMatt View Post
What are you burning in your stove? I couldn't quite make out in the audio.
Envi Blocks: https://youtu.be/OvjXAgJSGoY

Old 10-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #18
wildbrookies

Bio-
Yeah, I agree..not quite really good hunting weather so far. Nice ,if you are just camping or fishing,but to tromp around the mountains hunting,not that productive. The deer might be feeling the same and lay low most of the day,moving only at dusk or night when its cooler.

Nice video and like your setup !!. The weather looks to cool off at the end of this week . Hopefully, you'll see something next time out. I hope to get out this weekend myself!.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
Bounder45

Ran into some hunters coming out of the woods in the Blue Ridge Wilderness. I was just going in for a quick recon without a rifle. They all said the same thing: too warm, no activity. However, one of them actually saw a bear while he was out there but decided not to take it, either due to weather or the time of day or both. I was almost shocked; I joked to him that it's an accomplishment just to see one up here. Had I been in his shoes, I don't know that I would have passed up the shot, especially considering how close the parking area was.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
Buckladd

We had a productive weekend in terms of moving deer considering we only had four guys and how warm it was. Saturday we put two bucks by a guy and he missed. Long story, but he is 76 and doesn't shoot like he used to. Too bad, we really want him to have success. I saw a smaller buck on Sunday that just ran through a narrow window of visibility. Not sure I would've pulled the trigger, but it would've been nice to at least had a chance to decide. We'll have a full party in camp this weekend, then head for northern Maine the first week in November.