Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spruce Mountain - update

Update: Spruce Mountain - Fire Tower Challenge

Trail access to the Spruce Mountain summit passes through private property owned by Lyme Timber Company in Hanover, NH. Without obtaining permission prior to your hike, the public does not have permission to trespass on Lyme Timber Company land. Because of this access issue, Spruce Mountain is currently not included in the Fire Tower Challenge. Climbs completed prior to January 12, 2015 will count towards the challenge. NYS DEC and Lyme Timber Company have a tentative agreement to open the trail completely for public access (the trail will be closed during big game rifle season). When this agreement is finalized, NYS DEC and ADK (Glen Falls-Saratoga Chapter) will post a notice on their respective websites. At which time, Spruce Mountain will again be included in the Fire Tower Challenge. For more information contact: wilderness@adk-gfs.org

Thank you for looking into this and addressing the issue.

Comment

Spruce Mountain now has a hiking trail. Good to go.

The Glens Falls-Saratoga Chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) created the Fire Tower Challenge for those who are gripped with fire tower fever. Spruce Mountain has no views from the summit and you'll need to climb the fire tower (scheduled to reopen sometime in July 2015) to see the views. There is a newly professionally built hiking trail that travels to the tower.
      46R #5621 -- NE111 #627 -- CL50 #343 -- Firetowers Quest 28/28 -- Welsh 3000s -- working on TO54, NPT

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisX24 View Post
        Spruce Mountain now has a hiking trail. Good to go.

http://cnyhiking.com/SpruceMountain.htm
        Is this definite? I can't find anything from the DEC saying that the property issues have been resolved.

Also, the website for the Glens Falls ADK Chapter still states that you cannot access Spruce Mountain without permission, and that they are not honoring climbs made after January 12 as counting towards the challenge: http://www.adk-gfs.org/firetower.news.php

Comment

Spruce Mountain update

The new trail to Spruce has been completed by the ADK Pro Trail crew and is now entirely on public land. I was there about 3 weeks ago and the trail markers were not installed, but the trail is easy to follow. The trailhead sign-in box and signage have not been installed.

Spruce Mt. will be reinstated in the Fire Tower Challenge after the following two actions take place:
          - The official trail re-opening announcement from DEC, Saratoga PLAN, and ADK.
          - The Fire Tower Committee of the ADK Glens Falls - Saratoga Chapter (official keepers of the Fire Tower Challenge) must convene and formally reinstate Spruce Mt.
          Both of these actions do not have dates, but I anticipate this will happen sometime in the next two months. I am working with all parties to expedite this procedure. Public notice will be given along with pertinent information via DEC, ADK, Saratoga PLAN websites and ADK Forum, Fire Tower Facebook group and other social media outlets.

The tower is under construction and is scheduled to be finished summer 2015. The lower sections are missing.

Comment

Thanks!

I noticed just recently that there was a new edition of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map for that area out- updated last year. There is a box next to the trail that states that permission is required to climb. Good that NG updated the map with pertinent information to be sure, but too bad that the box will remain on the map for the next few years until the next update, causing further confusion...

Comment

I just saw on the Fire Tower Challenge FB group that Spruce is officially back in the challenge. However, any climbs of the peak between January 13 and September 2 of this year won't count towards the challenge.

Comment

I was up on Spruce Mtn today. The stairs are now all in place. I was able to climb up to the cab - I just posted a trip report with photos. They are still installing the safety mesh below the railing, so be careful. Trail is not yet marked, but it is easy to follow.

Comment

Great news. Last time I was there, they had red safety tape around the base of the tower. I wasn't sure if climbing it was allowed, so I didn't.

Comment

Climbed Spruce today 10-10-15. Trail is very nice. Safety fencing is all installed now and it is very nice install. All pieces cut to fit similar to Goodnow. View from the top was great with fall colors. I was third up for the day and I met quite a lot of people climbing on the descent.

The cab doesn't have a door and the opening runs along the whole of one side. Not a lot of floor space and some of it is occupied permanently by a cubic shaped electrical device inside that hums a lot like a transformer.

One thing I wondered is why no railing along the majority of the stair opening leaving just a gap to leave the stair to the floor. If someone were to fall through ... not saying it would happen; but, if it did it would be nasty one.

Don

Comment

Spruce Mt update

The updated trail description and resolution of all access issues will be included in the upcoming revision of ADK's Guide To Easter Trails. It's a wonderful gentle hike with phenomenal views from the mostly-restored and perfectly safe fire tower.

Comment

Just got back from a Columbus Day hike up Spruce and it was wonderful to see so many families with young children enjoying this newly refurbished community asset. A great job on both the trail and the tower, and as one who's enjoyed this mountain for a few decades, thanks so much to all who made this possible.

Comment

Working...
                        X