Hurricane 7/3/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane 7/3/10

I hiked up Hurricane this past Saturday with my buddy and his father. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect day to do it either. After having bad luck the past Saturday with Giant and the terrible weather this day more than made up for it. The trail was an absolute joy to walk on and for the most part a very easy hike. The only somewhat difficult part was the last half mile where it is all uphill and rock. The views at the top were amazing and I am happy I got to see the firetower before it is taken down. This is the third firetower hike I have done, the others being Hadley and Kane. Kane I have done countless numbers of times as it is about 10 minutes from my house. I look forward to doing and seeing a lot more of the firetowers. Anyone have any advice on what some of the better ones are to do?

P.S. I have some pics if anyone would like to see them.

Sounds nice!

I haven't done a whole lot of towers, but I recommend these:

Owls Head (my avatar pic is from the tower)
    Blue Mtn.
    St. Regis (tower is closed like Hurricane, but views great from the rocks)
    Vanderwacker
    Rondaxe
    Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and I am for sure going to take you up on them. I especially want to get to the ones that are closed and going to be taken down first.

Comment

Is there any updates regarding whether or not the fire tower is accessible? We're climbing Hurricane at the end of June with some first time ADK visitors and want to be able to bring them up the tower. If it's not, please suggest a good climb for beginners. We've already done Arab and Owl's Head. Thank you!

Comment

Not yet; work to rehab the tower begins this year.

Of course Hurricane is a great trip in any event.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post

Yup. As far as summit views, climbing the tower is superfluous. Still, it will be nice to be able to do so.
            Steve

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post

Originally posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
              Yup. As far as summit views, climbing the tower is superfluous. Still, it will be nice to be able to do so.
              Thank you very much. I'm glad to hear it's being rehabbed this year. It was a long, arduous battle to save it and we won! I'm definitely looking forward to Hurricane and it's new trail, especially with our guests. We want to break 'em in gently and not scare them, right?!

Comment

I'm not sure when the restoration of the tower was completed, but it was climable by Columbus Day, 2015. The cab is not restored, but open.

Comment

Working...
                X