No announcement yet.

What's your favorite fire tower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say without question it's Adams. I sorry to hear it is now inaccessible. It is the best view of the high peaks that I have seen. Blue Mt. has the best view of lakes that I've seen. Snowy is the toughest climb to get to a fire tower that I've been too.

Comment

Originally posted by wellsley View Post
      I have to say without question it's Adams. I sorry to hear it is now inaccessible.
      It is only temporarily inaccessible. Although there is no completion date set, work on the tower is in progress.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
        It is only temporarily inaccessible. Although there is no completion date set, work on the tower is in progress.

Dick
        Thanks for the report.

Comment

I've only done 3 so far (Bald, Snowy, Cathedral Rock) but I liked Cathedral Rock the best. I hiked it yesterday with my 6 year old twin girls, and completely enjoyed it. It was so secluded, and we saw no one else on the trail. The Ranger School students have done a very nice job of making the path, signs, picnic table, lean to, and plaques. The tower is well done, and the cab is nice. I love the Cranberry Lake area. It was very peaceful.

Comment

I love Hadley Mountain, it was my first fire tower, my home town hike and the views are fantastic. The fall hike is the best, the varied colors are beautiful.
            "I do it for the challenge and I refuse to lose"

Comment

I've only done a handful of towers but I'm doing the fire tower challenge so my opinion might change. Right now St. Regis is my favorite!

Comment

Only one I've been up is Belfrey.Pretty impressive!
                Attached Files

Comment

Cool topic since I am just learning about the Fire Tower Challenge. Did Hurricane with a group a few weeks back and was really impressed by the view there - although we couldn't stay long, the wind must have been 30+ MPH easy.

Then did Tremper in the Catskills, which was cool also but the views are limited to the tower itself (cab wasn't open).

From the pics and votes here, I might try to check out Goodnow. Maybe I can drag my wife along - how bad is the hike? Any other towers (or short hikes) in the area to make it a full day? I see Vanderwhacker looks close, but I heard that one requires a very long hike to get to.

Thanks!

Comment

Goodnow as I recall is about 3 miles round trip. The first half mile is pretty muddy, but after that the trail joins an old road. Overall, it's not a difficult hike- definitely one of the easier fire tower peaks to climb.

Vanderwhacker is a long approach and a long climb, but otherwise isn't too difficult. There are some new switchbacks on the trail that make the steeper sections much more manageable. Probably best left to be hiked on its own, though. The road into Vanderwhacker I believe isn't maintained in winter though, so definitely a consideration if you plan to do it soon.

A good option on top of Goodnow to round out the day would be to check out the trails at the Newcomb Visitors Interpretive Center (VIC): http://www.esf.edu/aic/

Comment

Originally posted by greenebr View Post
                      That picture is assume. What kind of camera do you use?
                      The classic inadvertent insult to a photographer. In reading that comment, it is assumed that the writer places credit for the awesome photo with a "good camera". The camera has much less to do with a great photo than does the photographer's skill. An awesome photograph is 9 parts photographer’s skill and 1 part technology (camera, etc.). I like the Wakely tower for its height and unique structure; for the view, it's definitely Adams.

PS: If you were merely curious about what brand and model camera was used, then.... never mind!
                      Last edited by ALGonquin Bob; 11-24-2011, 12:24 AM.
                      "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
                        I vote for Mt. Arab as I have a camp on Eagle Crag Lake which lies in its shadow (hence my userid). I've been climbing it all (or most) of my 59 years and recall the ranger (Doc)that used to be up there when I was a child. The Friends of Mt Arab organization has done an iimpressive job of not only restoring the fire tower but also the ranger's cabin which sits at the foot of the tower. Its in better shape now that at any time in my memory. They also hire a couple of local college students in the summer to act as interpreters and they do a superb job. I have climbed a few of the others but know this mountain so well, that its really no contest!
                        Ummmmm, please don't read the thread about vandalism on Mt. Arab...
                        "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

Black Mt on Lk George. Used to be you could hop the fence and climb up, but that was a while ago. Adams is a strong second.

Comment

wakely fire tower

Wakely was our first and favorite tower climb. This is what we saw when we got to the top. My family thought this was what was left of the fire tower. Boy were they disapointed,until welooked up and saw the tower sticking through the pines.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch517 View Post
                              Wakely was our first and favorite tower climb. This is what we saw when we got to the top. My family thought this was what was left of the fire tower. Boy were they disapointed,until welooked up and saw the tower sticking through the pines.
                              That's the old helicopter pad- for landing equipment for the tower.

Comment

Reclimbed St. Regis a couple of days ago. It's a really nice trail to a great view. You can't climb the tower because the lower couple sections of stairs have been removed, but you don't need to to see the view.

Comment

Working...
                                X