What becomes of removed firetowers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What becomes of removed firetowers?

This is a legitimate question coming from me if you have read my recent recycling rant. Does anyone have info as to what happens to the remnants of old fire towers? Specifically, I can put to good use several sets of the lower stairs that are removed from many firetowers to prevent access. DEC is in control of this, I understand. Does anyone have specific contact information to find out about disassembled fire towers? Thank you.
    Five Thousand Acres of Peace & Serenity
    Far from the Hubbub of the High Peaks.
    sigpic
    Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
    "We have Our Own High Peak!"
    www.bmlcny.com

I know that the DEC has several complete fire towers in storage. At one point, there were plans to erect one of them at the Five Rivers Environmental Education Center in Delmar, NY, just outside of Albany. Anyone who has been to Five Rivers knows that it is pretty flat, and the tower would've provided a vantage point for some views. Unfortunately, it was decided that items of Adirondacks historical importance weren't a priority at Five Rivers, and so the plan was never carried out.
    Last edited by DSettahr; 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mohawk
      I've seen remnants of firetowers thrown on streambeds near the trail. Can't remember which mountain that was though.
      This sounds like Debar Mt. I remember most (all?) of the tower strewn around.

Comment

The firetower that used to be on Little John Drive on the Tug Hill Plateau is reportedly in use as part of the gravel pit east of Fulton NY on Rt 3. One day I'll have to pull off the road and look as I can't pick it out while driving.

Comment

What used to be called the #4 fire tower on the Smith Road, just off the #4 Road between Lowville and Stillwater, is now an exhibit at the NYSDEC facility, the former tree nursery in Dadville, near Lowville.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post
            The firetower that used to be on Little John Drive on the Tug Hill Plateau is reportedly in use as part of the gravel pit east of Fulton NY on Rt 3. One day I'll have to pull off the road and look as I can't pick it out while driving.
            Sounds like Castor and I think I know why you can't see it.

I'm not sure if this is the tower integrated with the machinery, but I'm giving a possible lead here. I found this photo from Google street view off the Silk Rd.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
              This sounds like Debar Mt. I remember most (all?) of the tower strewn around.
              Tomany
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lonehiker View Post
                Sounds like Castor and I think I know why you can't see it.

I'm not sure if this is the tower integrated with the machinery, but I'm giving a possible lead here. I found this photo from Google street view off the Silk Rd.
                I've seen rigs like that in a lot of pits (used to work asphalt so I've been to quite a few operations) But the building on legs to the right in that photo looks like it could be the upper half of a tower. And yes, I believe it was Castor Hill, it is right at the end of the (public) pavement on Little John Drive.

Comment

Ok, I tried. I will leave you with YouTube footage of the quarry. I will also leave you some old news articles of the tower. I guess the only way to find out is to go there and possibly ask. Did your source specify whether the tower was erected just recently? I'm trying to keep a thorough list of fire towers that are in the state. It is nice to know when new or old ones turn up on someone's property

Last edited by Lonehiker; 06-25-2018, 02:13 AM.

Comment

I am a member of the Mad River Club, who bought the tower and then sold it. I was told of the tower by a member who ,lived across Little John Drive from the site, but has since passed away. I will be up there working mid July, and I'll ask around for more information then.

Comment

This is the former Kings Park Tower. It was relocated from Long Island and reconfigured to be a wildlife observatory platform. It now resides at The Oak Orchard Wildlife Management Area. I took this photo in 2016. I thought it would be COOL to show this
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Lonehiker; 06-28-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

This is the observatory at the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge. I don't think it is a former fire tower. Just incase, I want to ask the experts here, is this structure made from parts from a former fire tower?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Lonehiker; 06-28-2018, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X