Wakely mtn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakely mtn?

Can u bike ride the two miles on old road before it turns into footpath?
    What other mtns allow bike ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically yes. It's pretty rough but I've seen people mtn. biking on that trail before. Legally might be an issue. I thought the land classification changed somewhere in there from wild forest to wilderness area. You can't bike in a wilderness area. Please check a state map for the land classification.
    Exploring the US one mountain at a time.

Comment

The first two miles are part of MRPWF, it's legal. Where it turns to primitive area you wouldn't want to ride anyway.

Woodhull Mtn is another one that people tend to bike the first section.

Comment

Thanks, Montcalm. I wasn't sure where the line was along the trail.

Comment

Hiked Wakely Mt Saturday. There was a no bikes sign post about 1 mile from the trailhead.

Comment

Originally posted by nyestreet View Post
            Hiked Wakely Mt Saturday. There was a no bikes sign post about 1 mile from the trailhead.
            Just curious, Nyestreet. Did the state ever repair the observer's cabin? The last time I was up there a bunch of wood and shingles had been air dropped.

Comment

Wakely is one heckuva nice tower. Be sure to climb it before the snow starts; I got my car sandwiched in a snowbank ten miles in on County Route 12 in Feb. this year; some awesome snowmobilers pulled me out and I had to summit in April when the road was passable.
              sigpicDare to dream. If you don't dream, you don't become. Dreams are indicative of what we can do, when we let our dreams flourish. Don't let negativity from inner or outer sources thwart your dreams. The human spirit is capable of much more than what we can see.

Comment

BorealThrush, you are lucky you didn't get ticketed by Mr. Ranger. Past 8 miles in is supposed to be a snowmobile trail after the snow flies. In wet years they don't open the dirt portion of the road to auto traffic until early to mid May.

Comment

Originally posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
                  Just curious, Nyestreet. Did the state ever repair the observer's cabin? The last time I was up there a bunch of wood and shingles had been air dropped.

The cabin appears to have fresh shingles to me.

The heli-pad has definitely had some work done to it over the last few years. It has had repair work and new floorboards nailed down. Looks to be in much better shape than it is in a picture that was taken years ago and posted on this site in a different thread.

Not sure why - maybe so it can be utilized in an emergency if need be?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 10-03-2016, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Brett!

Comment

Thanks, Brett!
                      Your welcome. Just happened to be that I was up there not too long ago.

Comment

BorealThrush, you are lucky you didn't get ticketed by Mr. Ranger. Past 8 miles in is supposed to be a snowmobile trail after the snow flies. In wet years they don't open the dirt portion of the road to auto traffic until early to mid May.
                        I think after 5-6 miles in, technically. That's where the DOT stops plowing.

Certainly would make for a nice cross country ski from the 5-6 mile mark, though. Then the fire tower.
                        sigpicDare to dream. If you don't dream, you don't become. Dreams are indicative of what we can do, when we let our dreams flourish. Don't let negativity from inner or outer sources thwart your dreams. The human spirit is capable of much more than what we can see.

Comment

Newbie question - has it snowed substantially in the MRP/this trail? Planning on heading there this weekend. I have done the hike once and would like to again if possible before winter sets in.

Comment

Wakely probably has some snow and/or ice at higher elevations, but probably not a huge amount of either. I'd say that as long as you bring microspikes and are comfortable using them you'd probably be fine.

Definitely go prepared for colder temperatures- no cotton, and be sure to pack extra warm layers just in case. Read up on layering of clothing for cold temperatures if you're not already familiar with the concept.

And don't forget your headlamp- it gets dark early!

Comment

Thank you sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X