Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
Trail Boss

Alpinequest is superb. It was my first choice after evaluating 6 navigation apps. It's fast, elegant, offers numerous maps, allows you to easily combine maps into a custom map, its developer is responsive to user's requests, and much more.

After using it for many months, I became aware of additional functionality I wanted. I switched to Locus Map because:

Ascent calculated using a DEM
It can calculate a trip's elevation gain using a Digital Elevation Model (DEM) instead of the built-in GPS. In practice, GPS altitude isn't very accurate and the total ascent for a hike is typically a wildly inflated value. By using a DEM, Locus Map reports far more conservative values that are consistent with what a barometric altimeter produces.

Offline auto-routing
Alpinequest can do auto-routing but only for roads and only when connected to the Internet. With Locus Map I can plan a hiking route and determine its length and total ascent all while offline (for both roads and trails).

Audio Coach
It can be configured to periodically report (verbally) the distance travelled, elapsed time, average speed, etc. I find this handy to keep track of my progress throughout a hike.

Presets
This is useful if you switch between activities like Hiking, Running, Walking, Cycling, Driving, etc. The settings for one activity may not be best for another. For example, the track-recording rate for walking need not be as fast as for driving. Perhaps you want the onscreen menus to be different for cycling compared to running. When you record a track you may want your hikes to be saved in the Hiking folder and runs in the Running folder. What Audio Coach reports for running may be different from Hiking. Changing all these settings before each activity is a tedious proposition. A "preset" lets you define the settings for each activity. When you go running, you pick the "Running" preset and all settings are automatically changed to suit the activity. Easy-peasy.

Vector Maps
A vector map is more space-efficient than a raster map (i.e. the typical online map). All of New York state fits into ~275 Mb and includes Points of Interest (POI) like amenities, historical sites, etc. It's more than just a map; it's a searchable database of geographic data. For hiking purposes, it contains the location of campsites, lean-tos, viewpoints, etc. Using a vector map, Locus Map can list all POIs close to your current position ("Nearest points" function).

There's a dizzying amount of functionality in Locus Map and, fortunately, most of it is well documented here: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php

It has a large and active user community , and a very responsive developer who puts out several significant releases annually. Bugs are fixed very promptly.

Check out Locus Map Free. It displays some advertising but has no expiry date. Some of the more advanced features are disabled (or limited) but there's sufficient functionality to give you a good idea of its power. You can download three vector maps ("LoMaps") for free. It also provides an extensive list of free raster maps.

The full version (Locus Map Pro) is CDN$8.49 so I imagine it's under US$7. It's less expensive than competing products yet offers so much more functionality.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 10-20-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote