Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Nnyhunter

St Regis canoe area deer hunting

Hello,
New to the forum here and am enjoying all of the information. I have several overnight canoe trips to the st Regis canoe area planned with my family this summer, but am thinking about coming back during deer season with a buddy for some wilderness deer hunting. Not looking for anyone’s secret areas, but am curious about others experiences/success deer hunting in this area (with the usual ask wilderness success rates lol). Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Nnyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Stillhunter

Hi Nnyhunter... I have never hunted in the SRCA but have fished it a few times on multi day outings. When I fish I am always wearing my "scouting hat" observing sign from the prior fall, etc. Based on the sign I have seen I think that the canoe area lands can be productive for deer hunting for someone who has the time and is willing to work for them. There was a member of the forum a number of years ago who's forum nickname was "Crokit". He was a very good big woods deer hunter who took some nice deer there. Unfortunately I believe he passed away but he posted a few photo albums of his memories hunting in there. Take a look at them. Like most of the vast Adirondack tracts... there are mature bucks that will die of old age, winter mortality and coyotes that hunters have never seen. Go explore for sign before the leaves pop. Good luck.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Buckladd

I've seen my share of deer in there and know some former Paul Smiths students that hunted that general area. I'd say it's as good as any and I've always wanted to hunt that area myself.

Two things: plan your hunt in warmer weather if using a boat, and, if you plan to hunt the early muzzleloading season I think this is WMU 6F and will likely again be buck only.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
WAYBKDACKS
WAYBKDACKS

My two oldest sons and myself bushwacked our way about a 1/2 mile from one of the smaller ponds we were fishing for brook trout in the SRCA just to get the lay of the land and and check out the woods about 4 years ago....the buck rubs I stumbled on to made me vow to come back with my Marlin 30-30 in hand. I've never followed through on that promise yet.

This was right after ice out and an excellent time to line up trails, old rubs, scrapes, and spy a shed horn. The main problem with this area is as the best time after Halloween heats up with buck movement you run the risk of getting iced in with a real cold snap and not being able to get back out with a canoe.
WAYBKDACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYBKDACKS View Post
My two oldest sons and myself bushwacked our way about a 1/2 mile from one of the smaller ponds we were fishing for brook trout in the SRCA just to get the lay of the land and and check out the woods about 4 years ago....the buck rubs I stumbled on to made me vow to come back with my Marlin 30-30 in hand. I've never followed through on that promise yet.

This was right after ice out and an excellent time to line up trails, old rubs, scrapes, and spy a shed horn. The main problem with this area is as the best time after Halloween heats up with buck movement you run the risk of getting iced in with a real cold snap and not being able to get back out with a canoe.
Loving your screen name.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
WAYBKDACKS
WAYBKDACKS

Thanks Edb 46 er I do like to get way back in there, but father time is catching up w/ me
WAYBKDACKS is offline   Reply With Quote