Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
bluestar

SRCA Portage question

Gonna do some paddling and a bit of camping in the SRCA in a couple weeks. Was wondering if any of you fine peoples had used the portage from Little Clear to the Southern end of St. Regis Pond? Wondering if this was easier than the usual route we've been using which is entering Upper St. Regis Lake>Bog>Bear>Little Long East> Green to St. Regis Pond? Been viewing a bunch of portage footage on you tube and can't find anything that shows the little Clear portage. Heard people talking in the videos how it was a challenging portage from there and these folks had little more than paddles and a day pack in their kayaks. We'll be heading in with 2 people, and camp stuff in a 13.5' sportster canoe. Any info/video or links would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!!
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
VTskier

It's been a few years since I've done the LC to STR Pond portage, but that was how we always went in to camp. One portage and you're there. Never found it super hard, just another rooted, muddy portage. We'd often daytrip from our StR Pond camp thru the ponds mentioned and back. Seems that would be a much, much longer way to getting there with multiple unloading,carrying, loading events. None of those portages were ever super easy and in about the same condition as LC to StR.
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
bluequill

I would much rather do the LC to SRP. The USR to SRP route has multiple carries. As you know, all are easy......just loading and unloading multiple times gets old. The LC carry is less than a mile and IMO, fairly easy. I've never used wheels but the trail is wheel friendly.

I just did the USR to Little Long Pond paddle this morning. A few blowdowns between Bear and LLP, but nothing bad. The other carries were "business as usual". Cold and windy!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's been 8 or 9 years since I did it, but my memory agrees with the other posters above. I don't remember it being anything out of the sort of what one would normally expect of portages in the Saint Regis Canoe Area. No better, no worse, than any of the other portage routes in that area.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
mike7575

Is the LC to STR Pond doable with a cart?
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

As far as I know there are no portages in the St Regis area...only carries.

I passed through the Little Clear to St Regis carry in the spring of 2017.
It's barely a 1/2 mile, some exposed roots on the first uphill when leaving Little Clear, other than that, it's a cake walk.
I've always really enjoyed the views as you enter into St Regis from that narrow slice of water.

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
bluestar

Thanks for the info folks! Really appreciated it. I've wanted to try this route for a while but have always opted for the other for whatever reason. Thanks again!!!
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

Done both routes many times. I don't have that much of a preference honestly. I guess if you have a lot of gear you might prefer the single portage. As for carts, there was an abandoned cart sitting at the edge of the trail for years. Seems to be gone now. We carted it last summer and I'm not sure it was worth bringing the cart. Very rooty and rough.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Msample

Its been a few years, but as I recall the LC to SRP carry is fairly "rooty" and has a bit of a hill from LC headed towards SRP. I'd skip the cart .
Msample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #10
johnmcd

Did St. Regis to LC last year starting from Long Pond, SR to LC was by far the easiest carry.
johnmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
smhmmc

We did it a couple years ago with 3 kayaks and 1 cart. Gonna do it again hopefully early June. This time with 3 carts. A nice light canoe probably not bad but our kayaks are heavy.
smhmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:49 AM   #12
RichieC

You can 2 or even 3 trip this carry quickly. However, if you had a mind to continue up to Fish Pond area, for say a day trip to explore, you have two trail choices, carry to ocre, then carry on to Fish ( I have been to Ocre , but did not go on to Fish-P this way, but I recall there is one) but the 2nd option , the direct route to Fish-wheels would be very useful. You’d carry a tiny way from St Regis, and load up wheels on the road, and then have an relatively easy grade up on an access Jeep road- not perfect, but wide and hardpacked. I wheeled in From the parking lot on this road , THAT I would not suggest. It’s long and hard on the first part, you avoid the hill when you paddle around this hard part through St Regis. , we opted to go through St Regis on our way back and found it a much easier route. Once in there you’d only need wheels to return - carry’s up there between all the ponds are short and easy.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #13
bluequill

Just did the Little Clear to St Regis Pond this morning. One blow down about halfway through....easy to negotiate.

Really, this is an easy carry....of course there are slight inclines and exposed roots at either end but nothing bad. It's a nice walk. Not a "challenging portage"

I'm approaching 70 YO, recently had a total knee replacement and dealing with arthritis in my other knee. I just did this with a 20# pack, an 18# boat plus fishing gear. 6 tenths of a mile each way....no big deal!
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #14
mpn702

Planning on doing this carry on July 5th... seems like the verdict is to not cart it?
mpn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
Rich Lockwood

I have carried this carry several times. it looked mostly wheelable to me after the first 50yds after clear.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
mpn702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
I have carried this carry several times. it looked mostly wheelable to me after the first 50yds after clear.
Thanks for the advice. We ended up renting wheels and were able to use them for all but the first and last 50 yards of the carry. Debated carrying on to Green Pond and back to Little Clear, but that appeared to be a much longer carry based on the map. St. Regis Pond is a beautiful sheet of water.
mpn702 is offline   Reply With Quote