Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

St Regis area *updated with lots of pics*

Hi all, looking for a little advice. Going to be up in the northern end of the ADK's on Thursday & Friday, thinking about staying at Deer Valley Trails cabin, anyone have any experience there? Backup will be hotel in Malone, but I'd rather support the local places. I've never been in the St Regis area but here its wonderful for paddling. Weather cooperating, I may get a quick couple hour paddle one day and maybe a half day or so the next day to paddle. I know the water will be cold, but I assume all the ice is out? I don't have neoprene but I'll wear the best I have, perhaps the spray skirt and pack additional clothes in drybag. That said I've never capsized and I'm looking for calm waters, I'll likely be using the Boreal Designs Alvik (17') don't want anything tricky or too rocky. Any suggestion for something in that area that would give me some easy paddling and where to put in? Are the black flies out in force yet?

44/46 Almost there!
26/46 barefoot
ADK Black River Chapter

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 05-27-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

If you only have a few hours, I would head to Long Pond. It's only a 0.3 mile carry along and old road. Long Pond is probably the nicest, easy access wilderness pond in the area.
Plenty of protected bays, nice views, quiet. The put in is as easy as it gets, a sandy beach.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
bluequill

If you are up at Deer Valley, look into paddling the Santa Clara Flow on the St Regis River which is only 10-15 minutes from Deer Valley. Great DEC put in/ parking and virtually no rocks. Paddle up and back but do not paddle down stream below the rt 458 bridge..... rapids/ dam below. If you fish, come prepared for some toothy critters. There is a nice waterfall across and down from the put in. Pick up the Saranac Lakes/ Paul Smiths Nat geo map.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Thanks fellas! Looks like today will be a beautiful day. I went looking for that nat geo map... I knew I had it since I originally bought the whole pack but I've not really used that one yet. Had to turn the whole house upside down but I found it. Did a little paddling with the Watertown kayak club yesterday when I arrived in the north country, and heading over to the ADKs this morning.

44/46 Almost there!
26/46 barefoot
ADK Black River Chapter
Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The map you really want for that area is the Paddler's Map North, which is published by the St. Regis Canoe Outfitters. It better shows paddling routes and portage trails than the Nat Geo map, and also shows the locations of most designated tent sites (although with good but not perfect accuracy- check for the "Camp Here" disc before setting up camp!). It's an all around far better map for paddling especially than the Nat Geo maps. They also have a smaller version now that covers the St. Regis Canoe Area alone, as well as a smaller one that covers the Saranac Lakes area. I'm not sure if you can purchase it at the Canoe Outfitter's outpost on Floodwood Road (or even if said outpost is open for the season yet), but you can definitely purchase it at the SRCO store in Saranac Lake.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondackiteer View Post
Thanks fellas! Looks like today will be a beautiful day. I went looking for that nat geo map... I knew I had it since I originally bought the whole pack but I've not really used that one yet. Had to turn the whole house upside down but I found it. Did a little paddling with the Watertown kayak club yesterday when I arrived in the north country, and heading over to the ADKs this morning.
I think I was behind you heading south on rt 30 at the construction zone this afternoon. We both headed north on 458 but I turned off at the Madawaska gate. Did you paddle the Santa Clara Flow?
Old 05-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Rich Lockwood

madawaska road

Is the road access to Madawaska pond now open?
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
Still closed. A sign at the gate (by the landowner) said that the road needed maintenance due to the weather. I have been by there a few times over the past couple of weeks and never saw the gate open.

I will post something when I find it open.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
I read that the Madawaska Rd is now open.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
I think I was behind you heading south on rt 30 at the construction zone this afternoon. We both headed north on 458 but I turned off at the Madawaska gate. Did you paddle the Santa Clara Flow?
Hmm, was it a grey Subaru Forester with an all white yak?

I don't remember heading on rt30 but maybe there was a stretch I did... I was driving all over checking out some properties for sale. I didn't get checked into Deer Valley until later afternoon then did get a wonderful paddle on Santa Clara Flow the last few hours of daylight. It was a fantastic paddle, very quiet - not another soul the whole paddle and of course no houses and such other than the couple right there at the start. Black flies didn't bother on the paddle, and got to see a loon or two - wish I had my long lens but I just brought my wide angle. I did get some great pics with the wide angle.

The next day I checked out nearby Azure Mt, trail wasn't bad at all and only came across one other couple going in just as I was coming out. Nice views on top, perhaps better along the way as well since the trees were not leafed out yet. Black flies were bad on the way up but wow did the wind pick up I couldn't even stand up straight while in the firetower without holding on to something. The flies didn't bother after that, and wasn't an issue until getting back to the car.

After Azure I went back to Deer Valley, got some lunch, and then went over towards Meacham and paddled in from the Rt30/St Regis launch (seemed to be unmarked?) over the Meacham, then down the Osgood a ways. Again not a soul on the whole paddle, except way in the distance while on Meacham I saw some boats on the other side. Osgood was beautiful! I'd have went further but since I had to drive back 2-3 hours I cut the trip short at about 5 miles. It's been my first paddling trip of the year so my arms where a bit tired and butt sore for 3 days in a row.

Deer Valley Trails rest/bar/cabins was nice I thought. Rooms were great, very clean, hot shower, and decorated nice enough. The restaurant made great burgers & sandwiches, had an IPA on tap so I was happy, and wasn't too overpriced. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I was looking to stay in that area.

Property scouting went well, liked one very much but still not quite what I was looking for, and a bit too far on the north east end (near Malone). I may put an offer in yet, not sure, but I'll probably continue my search.

Here are a few pics from my trip... and if I did it right you should be able to click for full res pics in 4k (a few are only in 1080).

Santa Clara Flow:

^A new trick I found out about, closing the aperture way down so the aperture blades create sunstars. The 7 bladed aperture in my Canon 17-40L makes 14 point sunstars, this shot was at f/22.

The trip as recorded by my gps:

Azure Mountain & Firetower:

St Regis-Meacham-Osgood paddle:

Just a couple from the launch & takeout since I switched to my telephoto hoping to get some eagles or other birds along the way and didn't really.

Thanks guys for the help in planning this trip, it was a very nice quick 2 day trip!

I tried to edit the thread title to tack on *updated with lots of pics* but it apparently doesn't change the thread title just in my first post. Maybe I should have just started a new thread.

44/46 Almost there!
26/46 barefoot
ADK Black River Chapter

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 05-28-2019 at 10:16 PM..
Old 05-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
bluequill

Yep, That was you I was behind! Glad you enjoyed the paddle too. The water looks very high as that waterfall is actually MUCH higher. The area is a nice part of the park....very quiet plus quite a few paddling destinations.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Well dang that non user friendly Imgur website! I was trying to tidy up my albums since somehow these pics uploaded to the wrong album then when I got them into the right album they appeared in both, so I just deleted the ones in the wrong album and it took down both copies. I'm at work on the nightshift so no access to the originals... I'll try and re upload them tomorrow, and probably have to put all new links in as they will be different *sigh*.

@bluequill hope I wasn't driving like a maniac lol!

Edited... ok I re-uploaded all the pics, and fixed all the url links in the post above

44/46 Almost there!
26/46 barefoot
ADK Black River Chapter

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 05-28-2019 at 10:17 PM..