Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Mallard1100

Circle hooks?

Has anyone had success using circle hooks when trolling worms behind a lake clear wabbler? I have noticed the last few years after getting into the brook trout scene that many fish tend to swallow the worm and further get gut hooked. Moving to a larger size 6 baitholder has not worked. So I was thinking of moving to a circle hook in hopes of reducing gut hooking as myself and our club are all catch and release fisherman. We would like to see these fish thrive and unharmed. Has anyone tried them yet? I have had success with saltwater game fish like stripers so I can’t see why they wouldn’t help reduce mortality rates in native pond brookies. Thanks
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
richard1726

I like them.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
St.Regis

I like them too, but have never used them behind a LCW
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
Has anyone had success using circle hooks when trolling worms behind a lake clear wabbler? I have noticed the last few years after getting into the brook trout scene that many fish tend to swallow the worm and further get gut hooked. Moving to a larger size 6 baitholder has not worked. So I was thinking of moving to a circle hook in hopes of reducing gut hooking as myself and our club are all catch and release fisherman. We would like to see these fish thrive and unharmed. Has anyone tried them yet? I have had success with saltwater game fish like stripers so I can’t see why they wouldn’t help reduce mortality rates in native pond brookies. Thanks
Don't use worms....you may catch fewer fish but you also won't foul hook as many. I troll with a streamer fly.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
gmorin71

you are dead on. Years ago, when I got into the pond game the wabbler and worm method is all I read about so naturally, thats the route that I went. I cannot even begin to think about how many fish I killed. I quickly converted to fly fishing still waters and I couldn't be happier. Much more fun way to fish.

To not trail too much from your original topic...I went larger, and that helped for me. also, are you in a canoe? if so, most people troll without the rod in their hand and that also contributes to deep hooking. try and troll rod in hand so you can react quicker. this is much easier in a float tube. larger hooks, and circle hooks will help the problem, but not eliminate it. if you insist on wabbler and worm, I'd take mgc's advice and not use worms, but a streamer. almost as effective to the point where you probably won't see much of a difference.

i am actually surprised that wabblers are even legal in NY

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
bluequill

You will experience more misses trolling with a circle hook. Circle hooks are best used "dead sticking" with bait. As the fish takes the bait and turns the hook almost always gets stuck in the corner of the mouth. It doesn't work that way with trolling. You might want to try a standard octopus hook by Gamigatsu.

If practicing catch and release...…..leave the worms at home and like others said, try a streamer, bugger or a leach pattern behind the wabbler.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
You will experience more misses trolling with a circle hook. Circle hooks are best used "dead sticking" with bait. As the fish takes the bait and turns the hook almost always gets stuck in the corner of the mouth. It doesn't work that way with trolling. You might want to try a standard octopus hook by Gamigatsu.

If practicing catch and release...…..leave the worms at home and like others said, try a streamer, bugger or a leach pattern behind the wabbler.
It also helps to flatten the barb... if the idea is to try and let them go a taut line without a barb will get the job done and make release much easier and less harmful to the fish.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
i am actually surprised that wabblers are even legal in NY
Lol. Those LCWs are almost as bad as weighted treble snagging hooks. Unreal
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Lol. Those LCWs are almost as bad as weighted treble snagging hooks. Unreal
you're right, they are. actually even worse I'd argue, at least a weighted treble isnt down in a fish's throat

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote