Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
rachelsdad

Hornbeck Values?

I'll be looking for a used 10-12' Hornbeck in the near future. Well, my back and shoulders are going to be looking.

Assume Classic.

What would I expect to pay for a good used one? I can buy a 10' Classic new for $1,495 per the website.

Anything obvious to look for in a used boat...any areas of concern?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Rich Lockwood

When unsuccessfully looking for a used classic Hornbeck, I ended up getting a new blem boat during the winter sale at a good price. 2 years later I advertised it for sale at a little less than I paid and got 3 calls the first day. Good luck.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Lucky13

There was one of the larger black Hornbecks on Craig's list in Rochester a couple of weeks ago for close to 2 grand. In the time it took me to go to the site to check the new price, and then return to Craig's list, it was gone. If you find a used Hornbeck for a reasonable price, it is likely to have Sasquatch paddling it!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
rachelsdad

Well one popped up on CL in Syracuse. Owned by an avid fisherman it has an upgraded seat and he installed bow & stern protectors, (not sure if I'll keep them on).

I have a few yak paddles but no 250's, so I'll try with the 230's to see how that feels.

Noticed on Hornbeck's site and a news article that they were storing them vertically. Spoke w/Josh at Hornbeck and he confirmed they hang them from the deck or thwart. Big win! Was able to hide it from wife for well over 3 hours!

I'll post some pics when I get back in town.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Lucky13

Congratulations. Strike while the iron is hot!!!!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
Rich Lockwood

boy do I feel silly- there are two on WNY craigslist!
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #7
Matt C

[QUOTE=rachelsdad;276392]Well one popped up on CL in Syracuse. Owned by an avid fisherman it has an upgraded seat and he installed bow & stern protectors, (not sure if I'll keep them on).

Pretty sure its one I sold to him last year for his wife. It has a CLC Creature Comfort seat and a Wenonah footbrace installed with epoxied studs, so as not to drill thru the hull. He asked for the left over G-flex epoxy, so he may have used that for the skid plates, so they won't be coming off. I can attest to the fact there was no damage to the stems when he picked it up, so I doubt there was anything to hide. If you weigh it, you will find it is a bit heavier than most Hornbeck 12's (before the mods); no one at the factory had any good explanations as to why. I got the boat from an estate sale in Buffalo.
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
boy do I feel silly- there are two on WNY craigslist!
One of those looks to be a New Trick, even though it's advertised as a Classic. Doesn't appear wide enough to be a Classic...anyway, that's a decent price for the 12' no matter which it is.

And I second your comment about the blems...I just bought a 15' with a blemish, and damned if I can find it myself, but they knew it was there.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Beaver Chaw
Don't forget to Spit

Best boat out there, great builder the originator of the modern Pack Boat
Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
TrailBlaser

Great boats and top-notch customer service.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #11
Beecee

Hey MattC,

I'm, (was), Rachelsdad, lost password and could not get the website to send a link for new one.

Some coincidence but not surprising that someone on these forums would be in its lineage. I'm about 130 miles from the boat until next Sunday but I thought it was a 10.5...you think it's a 12??

Did you do the "upgrades"or were they from Hornbeck?

EDIT: I see the seat is aftermarket and a relatively easy install.

Question for you, it looks like one of the thwarts is oak and was stained to match the what appears to be cherry gunwales......in fact there is still a piece of blue masking tape on the hill below it. Not at all familiar with the boats to know if the geometry was changed relative to the seat placement etc.

Still haven't had the time to get it to the water but hopefully next week....I'll post pix as well.

Last edited by Beecee; 06-30-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Beecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
Matt C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecee View Post
Hey MattC,

I'm, (was), Rachelsdad, lost password and could not get the website to send a link for new one.

Some coincidence but not surprising that someone on these forums would be in its lineage. I'm about 130 miles from the boat until next Sunday but I thought it was a 10.5...you think it's a 12??

Did you do the "upgrades"or were they from Hornbeck?

EDIT: I see the seat is aftermarket and a relatively easy install.

Question for you, it looks like one of the thwarts is oak and was stained to match the what appears to be cherry gunwales......in fact there is still a piece of blue masking tape on the hill below it. Not at all familiar with the boats to know if the geometry was changed relative to the seat placement etc.

Still haven't had the time to get it to the water but hopefully next week....I'll post pix as well.
I did the seat and Wenonah footbar and added multiple pad eyes on the inner gunnels, did not alter any thwarts (if it's the same canoe). The previous owner had put a coat of epoxy or spar varnish on the bottom of the hull to cover scratches, but none were very deep. This is a pic of it when I sold it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornbeck.JPG (63.5 KB, 53 views)
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote