Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #21
eghaley
46er #1441

ADK Keith says a lot when he compares other places to home. In his post, he says

[QUOTE]When I was a teen I spent a couple of summer months in the Rockies and although I didn’t realize it at the time, I was already exhibiting the first indications of these deep seated feelings. After being there for 4 or 5 weeks I became homesick.[/QUOTE]

When I spent summers climbing in the Wind River Range with NOLS or with my own group, I felt the same way. The Rockies are young and impressive but I prefer the old, mature woods and hills of the East. There are many advantages of hiking in young mountains, don't get me wrong. Sand and stones instead of mud, mosquitoes instead of black flies and noseeums, small dry twigs for firewood lying all over the ground instead of rotting humus. Maybe we're just tied to the more familiar.

But still, the yearning for home is powerful. Is it in your genes or in your psyche? Maybe both. Perhaps in some way we're like homing pigeons. Do they visualize "home?" Do they follow some geomagnetic force? Do they have memories?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #22
Neil
Kayak-46

The Dacks are an oasis of wild lands surrounded by civilization. You can be killed there, simply by your own un-preparedness. The rewards are slight compared to the effort expended yet I let a hook set itself deeply into my soul and I'm drawn to the region over and over again. My "home" is the CDN Rockies but the Adirondacks pull me in a way that I don't quite understand. Over the coming years I know I'll do the 46-W, the hundred highest, all the slides, many bushwhacks up lesser known peaks, trail work and more. I know I'll make friends with many more enthusiasts along the way.
In response to my initial question perhaps the Adirondacks to me are simply an answer to a need to break away from the day to day routine of earning a living and raising a family. To get out and feel rooted to the land as I walk across it.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
The Dacks are an oasis of wild lands surrounded by civilization.
Actually I find the dacks more "civilized" then "civilization"!!

Never had a bear tell me anything nasty about my BMW, or leave a lot of garbage around or make loud noises and obscene gestures at night.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #24
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eghaley
When I spent summers climbing in the Wind River Range with NOLS or with my own group, I felt the same way.
Which NOLS course did you take? When did you complete it?

Did you fly in to Riverton or Salt Lake? Wind River is actually the original NOLS course. They taught fly fishing too didn't they? Did you do the 30 day course or the 14?

I was going to do that one, but opted for the Alaska backpacking course instead, especially since I was living near Palmer at the time. I also did Wilderness First Responder through the Teton Science School in Kelly, WY and Wilderness EMT through the WMI Institute in Lander, WY, which was paid for by the U.S. Forest Service.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 05-30-2005, 09:12 AM   #25
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

DITTO what Dick wrote so much more eloquently than I could have written. THANKS to all the locals who share their piece of God's world with us 'tourists'.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #26
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

Angry Ranting Of A Resident

The first thing is the Adirondacks is not a "PARK"! It is the home to 130,000 full time Residents who live in 105 small towns and villages,who pay high school taxes, receive substandard wages, and endure all four season not just the summer like the 200,000 part time residents and the millions of tourist that visit the Adirondacks every year. Fifty seven percent of the land is privatly owned. Although the state does not see it that way. We are ran by a dictatorial enity called the Adirondack Park Agency that caters to the part time residents and tourist and treats the full time residents like second class citizens. While we do not mind sharing our home with others, we do not like to be treated as mere subserviants in our own home. Redhawk put it well when he said it was "HOME" and for many of the full time residents it has been home to many generations of our ancestors as well. We enjoy the beauty and treasures of our home in the Adirondacks. this is why we put up with all the disadvantages of living here. A couple of years ago a chain store went bankrupt and we had to travel 60 miles to just buy socks and underwear. Living in the peaks region we endure many days of sub zero temperatures and countless power outages. It is not all fun and games as our summer visitors may think. Now I am done ranting my favorite thing about the Adirondacks is that it is my home and its diverse beauty is beyond compare. It is a world where neighbors help neighbors and visitors as well . While we may not be as sophisticated as our urban visitors the adirondack residents are unique in our own way. I believe this is why the Adirondacks is so popular.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK

Last edited by adk-46r; 05-30-2005 at 02:15 PM..
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #27
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

I think the State gets more of our paycheck than we do. Then when we need the State's help, we have to fight to get our own money back!!

But we still can call it Sweet Home. There is no other place like it and there is no way I am ever leaving it.
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:55 PM   #28
eghaley
46er #1441

Redhawk:
I took the 30 day Wind River Mountaineering Course from NOLS back in the summer of '76. After the course, we had a barbeque with Paul Petzoldt at his house in Lander. What a honor.

I drove my van with 4 others who were taking courses at that time. Yeah, they taught fly-fishing and survival techniques as part of the lowland training. On the glaciers, we had a ball doing self-arrests by being released head-first down a steep icewall. We ultimately climbed Sacajawea and Gannett. For anyone inclined to seek adventure, I recommend NOLS. My son took the Alaska Course last summer and says it was a life-changing experience. He's planning to take another course next year if he can fit it in with grad school program.

You must have really enjoyed Alaska and all the training you had in wilderness techniques and people you met. When you took the course, was "Rats" the Alaska Course Leader? Jim Ratz? He was my instructor and I introduced him to Everclear. He introduced me to chewing tobacco.

Do you still cook mac and cheese in a "Billy can?" How great was that! Or taking 45 minutes to cook brown rice above 12K feet? Or the tent being "raised" up on a platform as the sun sublimed all the glacier ice around it. Or Chene-Stokes breathing at night! Such memories.

Glad there are others out here that took a NOLS course. We should get together with other graduates and have a jam session on NOLS stories.

Hope to see you on the trail sometime.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #29
Creekwader
Snag Locator

The Adiroundack's is to me a place fo me and my buddies to ride our wheelers. Wheelin is the best way to hunt deer, you don't even need to drag em jus shoot em, hookem up to the wheeler and pullem out. I really love to go mud boggin with my wheeler, there's lots of mud. Those eco-terrorist enviros think they can keep me out of the woods but I go where I want whenever I want and noone gonna stop me. Me an my buddies also like to go sled racin in the winter time. I take my 3 cylinder 750 cc MXS2000 and I open er right up on Fourth Lake. I kick my buddies ass cuz he's only got a 500 cc 2 cylinder MXS1500. He was always a wuss. Anyway, those frozen lakes are great fer goin fast. Plus there's lots of good bars around where we can get a few beers before we go racin. My MXS2000 goes 200 mph! Ifn I get goin fast enough I can go right across open water woohoo! I like to go fishin too, specially where the game warden ain't lookin. I got me a bass tracker with a 300 hp merc that kicks ass!! Nobody better mess with me cuz i'll dust em. Sometimes I see those elitist flyfisherman waving their buggy whips. I'll show you catch and release, right into my frying pan! Gotta jet ski too that I use to jump wakes and spray my buddies. Best time to go jet skiin is after the sun goes down the water gets glassy-like and you can go real fast!

That's what the Adiroundacks is to me, thanks for askin'!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #30
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

Lightbulb This Sums It All Up

Inside the Blue Line
By Don Williams
Adirondack 'don't haves'
We have to admit, there are some things that we do not have in the Adirondacks. And, maybe, just maybe, they are things that we can do without. Here are a few that I believe to be true. Make your own judgments on whether you can do without them or not.
The Adirondacks do not have a six-lane expressway, but we do have enough roads and trails to take us hundreds of peaceful places in our six-million acres.
The Adirondacks do not have the tallest build*ing on the east coast, but we do have numerous high peaks and fire towers.
The Adirondacks do not have an Imax theater but we do have the opportunity to rent the latest releases in most hamlets and keep some of our movie houses open.
The Adirondacks do not have widespread public transportation or subways, but you can explore our depths by car, boat, bicycle, motorcycle, horse*back, snowmobile, plane or footpower.
The Adirondacks are not filled with national chain restaurants, but you can find world-class restaurants throughout.
The Adirondacks do not have 20-story hotels on the beach, but we do have a plethora of motels, hotels, cottages, camping sites and second homes.
The Adirondacks do not have bumper-to-bumper traffic, but we do have thousands of visi*tors each year.
The Adirondacks do not have luxurious depart*ment stores, but we do have dozens of unique shops and speciality stores with the finest goods.
The Adirondacks do not have one long summer season, but we do have the variety offered by four great seasons.
The Adirondacks do not have a snow-free win-
ter, but we do have the best in downhill and cross*country skiing, snowmobiling, skating, snow-boarding, snowshoeing and tubing.
The Adirondacks do not have large-scale cruis*es, but we do have steamboats, white-water trips, kayaking, canoeing, guide-boating and rowboat-ing.
The Adirondacks do not have miles of sandy ocean beaches, but we do have clean, sandy beach*es on most Adirondack lakes.
The Adirondacks do not have "deep sea" fish*ing, but there have been several fresh water fishing records set in the Adirondacks.
The Adirondacks do not offer an "African Safari," but our forests teem with big game bear, moose, deer and other fur-bearing animals.
The Adirondacks do not have widespread poiso*nous snakes, but we do have a few timber rattlers high in a few cliff areas.
The Adirondacks do not have an international airport, but we do have several active air fields scattered throughout the mountains.
The Adirondacks do not have a giant national museum, but our regional and local museums have endless history and lore to share.
The Adirondacks do not have paid fire depart*ments and paid EMTs, but we do have a large corps of devoted volunteers are on hand for emergencies.
The Adirondacks do not have a TV station, but signals from the outside world are picked up in the Adirondack hamlets.
The Adirondacks do not have endless street*lights and traffic lights, but they do have a star-filled sky that lights up Adirondack nights.
The Adirondacks do not have . . . (fill in your own "have nots" and join those who find the Adirondacks to their liking for what they do have.)
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:23 PM   #31
Hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
HOME!!!!
DITTO
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #32
marzrw

Can't be said any better. Live just south of the blue line, but yes, my sediments exactly.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #33
marzrw

Quote:
the adks are freedom to me.
Wow, Sacco, can't be said any better.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #34
wbwells
Travler

The Adaks to me are a new place to explore new memories !! Ya I am not a resident but I come from a wild and woollily place deep in the PA wilds ...
with black bear and rattle snakes off your front porch.. not many "Tourists" until the state took out the rail road up the canyon and put in a bike trail .. now we got "Tourists" all over the place...my uncle could make $100 bucks a weekend for charging $2 a pop for all the Suvs parked on his propriety when the small parking lot over fills but....it's just the changing times he says...

What I am enjoying the most about the Adirondacks is the same wild feeling I get back home but not knowing what's around the next bend is the intriguing part....So far all the people I have met have been as friendly as we are back home... Hope it continues to be fun because I like it up there!! It's a big place lots to explore and do!!!

WBW

Ever notice that the people who are late
are often much jollier than the people who have to wait for them?
wbwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #35
AdkWiley

Wow i feel a litle be- littled after reading all these posts! i dont have many glorious stories , not yet that is. But ever since i was young i would spend summer up in the adk with my family, and i love being out in the woods. i liek to tell all teh curch goes that i get my religion when im up on a mountin, at least then i can see and really appriciate what god has created! I live in the albany area now but will be moving up into the adks in the fall, so it willbe my home and im excited about that, also it will be my training groud for i will be goign back to school up at paul smiths. im just excited to spend even more times in the glorious moountains and continue to build on the adk expierences in the years to come. - Wiley
AdkWiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #36
dog

I put it here,because pitiless moder Readhawk killed " What make ADK so special for you?", posted by Erica in " Rabid Granola Cranchers".

I think, were we implanted or are "native", the pleasure to be with Nature is inside us. It's like we need O2,H2O,sex,food,independency ( where money & power came from ),self-expression ( including creativity - where chemical substitutes were born);of course, I forgot something.

Some of them are always with us, some need to be awaken. All of them demand an object to get a satisfaction,a pleasure. The closer an object to "ideal" ,the deeper the pleasure.
ADKs is a decent peace of Earth to get awaken people what they need. Look at maps, read books & local treads, at last ( or first ) be there - mostly it is not about to sell, it is what people feel.

If an alaska was reachable as ADKs, I think,people would split their visits and fishing subdivision of the Forum died. But it's like, if I was a billioner, I'd go to see penguins some weekends. By the way a lot of rich left their traces in ADK. And comrades from the forum go other places, but not so often, as in ADK.

Shortly, we are just lucky people, who live near.

To add something to the tread: any trip, despite its goal & result is a completed mission, what we often don't have somewhere else in our life.

Sorry, I put everywhere " us and we ", but I think it is not only about me.

Last edited by dog; 06-08-2005 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: fishermen
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:02 AM   #37
Boreal Chickadee

Dog's reply made me think of this quote:

"Where you end up isn't the most important thing. It's the road you take to get you there. The road you take is what you'll look back on and call your life. Not reaching success isn't the end of the world. Not trying to reach it is." - Tim Wiley
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #38
dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter
Dog's reply made me think of this quote:

"Where you end up isn't the most important thing. It's the road you take to get you there. The road you take is what you'll look back on and call your life. Not reaching success isn't the end of the world. Not trying to reach it is." - Tim Wiley
Sorry, I did not steal it I know, I must read more.
Tim Wiley was really happy, if he really could apply this to his whole life.
Wandering monk is a top for human being in many religions.

Last edited by dog; 06-23-2005 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: grammar
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #39
CloudNine
Administrator

Sights smells sounds
pine granite water air
loons deer bear trout
sunshine rain mist
warmth bitter cold
blackflies mud blisters
campfires stars moonlight
song spirit determination
solitude serenity beauty....

awakening....reflection....rejuvenation...rebirth. ....
Old 08-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #40
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog
I put it here,because pitiless moder Readhawk killed " What make ADK so special for you?", posted by Erica in " Rabid Granola Cranchers".
That's MISTER Pitiless Redhawk Bub!!