Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #1
rbi99

Rocky Peak Ridge

Will be doing the East Trail from New Russia in three weeks to RPR. Because there isn't much water along the way, does that affect how bad the black flies are compared to other, wetter areas? I also hope to refill my water bladder with filtered water from Marie Louise Pond. Is that a sure thing?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
TCD

Black flies are hard to predict. It's certainly going to be the height of their season, so I would be fully prepared.

This wet year, and this time of year, you may find lots of the smaller brooks that run near to and across the trails are running, and you may be able to filter from one of them.

Lake Mary Louise is a sure thing - it never dries up. But the water is often very heavily silted and has lots of floating weed debris. So if you are going to filter it, it pays to put a pre filter (nylon stocking, coffee filter, etc.) over the intake of your filter system.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
tgoodwin

Best place to fill up this time of year is a small brook at 4.8 mi. on the long climb out of Dickerson Notch where there is a ledge on the left.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
rbi99

Thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
MTVhike

The parking lot was a mud hole last Monday.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
tenderfoot

We filtered from a trickle in the mentioned Dickerson Notch in the mid summer dry spell. We also filtered from Lake Marie Louise - loamy taste but sure it the spot. Once you get on the ridge the breeze might help you with the flies but this is an up and down trail. In mid summer we were were greeted by insects in most of the down areas - skeeters and such at that time.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
rickhart

Being on the ridge won't prevent blackflies. In spite of their water based lifestyle, the females can & do travel for miles in search of their blood meal.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
Lucky13

My wife and I went up Giant from the Roaring Brook lot once in late June. The flies had burned off in the lowlands, even along the West Branch in Wilmington, where we were staying. We enjoyed Bug free hiking (or at least as bug free as the 'daks can be in non snowy times) until we stopped to rest and look across the valley at the first opening along the trail. Here, about halfway up the mountain we were greeted by large numbers of very hungry black flies, and they continued to plague us for the rest of our hike, until we got below the" coolness" of the mountain.

Just a note for this year, I haven't been into the mountains yet, but I spent a day in the Central Tug Hill last week, and the emergence of the simuliidae was progressing rapidly, with large swarms forming around my head almost as soon as I stopped for a drink or a couple of casts. Fortunately for my sanity and comfort later, they had not figured out (too much) about feeding yet, so I have only a few " itchy spots." But for the 'daks, as they say in Jamaica, "soon come!", if you are venturing out after this cold spell, don't forget your head nets, jersey gloves, and bug dope or Skin So Soft.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote