Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
JustJake

Question Need Kayak Rental Lake George Advice Plz

I'm planning on solo island camping at Lake George and would need to rent a kayak to get to the islands and to also cruise the lake for a couple of days.

Can anyone recommend an outfitter or point me in the right direction? I'll need a kayak that can also hold minimal backpacking gear.

Do people commonly kayak to the islands on Lake George for overnights?

Thanks for replies,

Jake
JustJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #2
Buckladd

http://www.lakegeorgekayak.com

https://www.facebook.com/LakeGeorgeKayak/
Old 05-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
Bob K

Be aware that the power boat traffic on lake George in summer can create sizable wakes. When added to wind & waves, paddlers face tougher going than most other ADK waters. Surely people paddle to islands and along the shoreline to camp but caution is advised.

I'd recommend a skirt or some other way of preventing "deck wash" water from getting into your boat. A folded noodle under shock cord in front of your cockpit helps a lot. Mornings are normally calmer with less boat traffic. Wear your PFD for sure. I wouldn't go out there in less than a 12ft boat.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
TCD

And bright colors. A gray kayak and a camo paddle will risk you being run over by a boater that does not see you, as happened a few years ago. Bright fluorescent colors for kayak, pfd and paddle are smart.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
JustJake

Good sound advice, thank you. I've spoken to a number of outfitters. All of them have said many people do this and can accommodate. One is suggesting a canoe. I'm guessing a canoe will be considerably slower than a kayak but it will easily fit my gear. I'm most likely going up the shoreline from Bolton landing then cutting across towards the tip of Tongue Mountain and staying on one of the islands in The Narrows. Any advice on a kayak or canoe?

Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
webby459

You'll still be in open water, if there's wind it'll push a canoe a bunch. If you can manage to fit your gear in a kayak I guess I'd opt that way. If not, I wouldn't be dissuaded. If you get a canoe take some time to pack it right.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
dpc34

think of hiring a water taxi to take you to the island and use your kayak for day trips...they will pick you up at the end and bring you back...not all islands are easy to get onto from a kayak.....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr Jake,
What is it about Lake George that makes you want to paddle/camp there?
Is it the convenience of a reserved site?
Availability of on water rental?
The allure of island camping?
The spectacular mountain scenery?

I've only been on Lake George a few times...
Crewing on some J24's--boat owner took the racing waaaay too seriously, wind is fickle there
On my buddy's 1950 something ChrisCraft--we were rammed by an unobservant drunken speed boat
Paddling my solo canoe with MDB down from Northwest Bay--it got extremely rough as we neared Montcalm Point.

I think what some members here are saying indirectly is that there are far better suited destinations for paddling/camping than Lake George. Many have the same attraction and convenience in relation to my questions above.
Myself, I'll say it directly, (remember, I'm a very biased guy, no apologies):
There are far better (read safer) destinations that you could enjoy just as much or more.
Just ask...
stripperguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #9
JustJake

I'm curious what your recommendations would be Stripperguy? This is honestly my first time in The Adirondaks. I've done the past 3 years in The Whites, I'm doing my 4th annual White Mountains trip this year as well, and I've done many years in The Catskills. So I'm just a bit unfamiliar with The Adirondaks. Of course all of the outfitters I spoke to made the Lake paddle sound like a breeze, is it really that bad I should consider other destinations?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
Wldrns

Note that more than one paddler has been killed on Lake George due to inattentive (and likely drunk) high speed motorboaters.

More than 3,000 lakes and ponds, and 30,000 miles of rivers and streams run through the Adirondacks.

A little google searching will find many good choices, perhaps too confusingly many.

Two useful guidebooks come to mind:
Adirondack Paddling: 60 Great Flatwater Adventures Paperback
by Phil Brown

Adirondack Paddler's Guide: Finding Your Way By Canoe and Kayak
by Dave Cilley. An excellent accompanying map is also available
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #11
peskypup

Despite what some here might have you think, there is no lake more beautiful than Lake George.

No, your camping and paddling experience won't be a remote, isolated wilderness experience, but that doesn't mean it won't be an amazing experience!

Plenty of people kayak or canoe to the islands to camp. As others have said, I'd try to time you trip with a loaded boat for the morning hours when the lake is quieter. Stick with a brighter color kayak, wear your PFD at all times, and watch the weather - it's a big lake and the wind can whip up significant waves. The toughest and most exposed part of the trip will be from Bolton over to Montcalm Point at the tip of the Tongue Mt Range. Once you're in the Narrows, things will calm considerably, in terms of wind, waves and traffic.

A quieter option is to depart from Huletts Landing and camp up in the Narrow Island Group (not to be confused with "The Narrows", which is technically the Glen Island Group). The northern end of the lake is substantially quieter than the area from Bolton to the south. And leaving from Huletts avoids the stretch of open water between Bolton and Montcalm Pt.

Mid-week will be better (quieter, less crowded) than a weekend if you have that flexibility.

Hiking trails are accessible from Montcalm Point as well as via the lakeshore trail that stretches from Black Mt Point to the Knapp Estate just north of Shelving Rock Bay, should you want to combine your paddling with some hiking.

Yes, there are some yahoos on the lake, and the occasional drunk boater, but the lake patrol and county sheriffs have really stepped up their presence and patrols since an 8 year old girl was killed in a BWI accident a few years back.

Somehow I've managed to survive 40 years of boating, camping and paddling on the lake, so it might not be quite as bad as some would like you to believe!
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #12
JustJake

Thank you for the info Pesky. I was actually just reading about Huletts Landing and how it's a bit safer from there. I would surely get on and off the island early before lots of boat traffic was around and I would be going during a weekday. But regardless of that I'm just going over all the options at this point of the planning stages. Have you personally paddled to an island on LG for camping or just site-seeing? How was your experience?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
Bob K

The recommendation regarding Hulett's Landing is a good one IF you are intent on paddle camping on Lake George. I went from there years ago and camped on Floating Battery Island. It is the only time I boat camped on Lk George. I went in May before the power boat crowd. I used a 16 ft kayak but didn't have a skirt. I was the only camper in the area.

I have paddle Lk George many other times however and only do day trips now, typically in the calmer sections (mostly Sunday AM or weekdays). I would not go out in a loaded kayak without a skirt. The sites are in scenic spots BUT suffer from heavy use. You will likely not find firewood available and you may have close neighbors, possibly a large group. >99% of the campsites will be occupied by people arriving by power boat.

If you are not a paddler experienced in rough water I strongly recommend elsewhere. NW bay is normally calm but the wind varies. On one day trip I paddled S and had a leisurely time until I reached Montcalm point. The wind was roaring out of the NE and I would not have proceeded E & N to the Glen Island (Narrows) section without a skirt. You should check the weather for the duration of your trip & be prepared to cancel or return early unless you have a solid high pressure system promising favorable wind.

Boat camping without a reservation can be stressful (weekends in particular). Better options for "remote" primitive campsites that can be reserved include Indian Lake & Saranac lakes (Lower & Middle). You will see some power boats there but not like Lk George.

Far more options exist on other/smaller lakes & ponds. This website can provide detailed info on many. If you ask a question about a place, you will get a good answer (possibly in "private message" form) from someone here who has been there.

If you describe your desires for camping you will get specific recommendations. Include things like: maximum distance of paddle to site, hiking nearby, fishing, views, preference for remoteness, distance from adjacent campsites, willingness to portage (or not), section of the park (driving time), and ability to drive on a bumpy rd. Will you be solo?

The concern here is truly your safety. People die every year on Lk George, mostly paddlers. Deaths of boaters are rare elsewhere (I can't recall any).
Old 05-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
Buckladd

I paddle Lake George quite frequently as I live in the area. You likely don't have this option but launching from Shelving Rock is an even safer bet to the accessing the The Narrows. I've done it many times on day trips and a few over-nighters in The Narrows. The problem is that Shelving Rock is Day Use only, so there's no overnight parking. When I camped, my wife dropped me off and picked me up, but if you have others in your party you may be able to arrange something.

All of the forewarnings about Lake George here are legit, especially weekend boat traffic. If you can go mid-week, and before July 4 weekend, that's a plus. The winds can get nasty, which is relevant on any big Adirondack lake. As long as you prepare and are cautious regarding the conditions, you should be fine. It IS a beautiful lake.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Jake,
I'm sending you a PM
stripperguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #16
JustJake

Thank you all for the recommendations. What a great thread of info. I'll have to re-read everything 3 more times. I think I've learned all I can for now. Really like all the help. Great forum.

Thanks again. Jake
Old 08-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #17
Bob K

Lake George paddling risk - update

Adding a link to recent article about latest kayaker injured by powerboat ( rented).

For those just finding this thread, important info to help reinforce the dangers on Lk George over which you have no control.

https://poststar.com/blogs/adirondac...91315b1e5.html
Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #18
webby459

After paddling a good distance on a lightly-powerboated lake, Blue Mountain Lake and a moderately-powerboated lake, Indian Lake, I'd avoid Lake George like the plague. There are simply too many excellent lakes and rivers to paddle, even ones with no carries and easy put-ins, that are paddle-only.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote