Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

New boat

Picked up my new Hornbeck over the weekend, and had my wife test one as well. Looks like we'll be a two Hornbeck family in a couple of weeks...can't wait to get out on them!
I bought the New Trick 15', and Pam ordered a New Trick 13'...fun boats so far in the test pond!

smaller.jpg

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
VTskier

Nice, many happy adventures. Just picked up a new Swift packboat, 13.6 ADK myself. The excitement of a new boat has taken hold, as I planning paddling adventures with the new Phil Brown book, Paddling in the ADK. Excellent book, I appreciate the detailed notes not only on the paddle, but also the exact location of put-ins w/driving instructions. Many lakes I',ve never been to and now want to spend the summer checking out.
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Like Justin I'll stick with my Coleman Scanoe. Loads of room and stable, but a little awkward in high winds as a solo. Does fast water well and of course it is quite a bit heavier than a Hornbeck but with a square back I can put a 50 lb electric motor on it and save some energy, I also have outriggers on it so I can stand up and fly fish. It paddles well and is silent and deadly on Bass and Muskie. Of course I return all fish to the water.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTskier View Post
Nice, many happy adventures. Just picked up a new Swift packboat, 13.6 ADK myself. The excitement of a new boat has taken hold, as I planning paddling adventures with the new Phil Brown book, Paddling in the ADK. Excellent book, I appreciate the detailed notes not only on the paddle, but also the exact location of put-ins w/driving instructions. Many lakes I',ve never been to and now want to spend the summer checking out.
I just picked up his book, as well as Dave Cilley's new Adirondack Paddler's Guide and the mapset. Wish I was closer, so will have to balance trips north with local paddles here in the Rochester area.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Like Justin I'll stick with my Coleman Scanoe. Loads of room and stable, but a little awkward in high winds as a solo. Does fast water well and of course it is quite a bit heavier than a Hornbeck but with a square back I can put a 50 lb electric motor on it and save some energy, I also have outriggers on it so I can stand up and fly fish. It paddles well and is silent and deadly on Bass and Muskie. Of course I return all fish to the water.
I'd love to get some fishing done this summer as well...definitely won't be standing in a Hornbeck though...

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Let me know if you want to do some local paddles. Or an adk paddle trip.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
webby459

Congrats!

Like some others, I have two giant heavy royalex type boats, a quite old Old Town and a newer Indian River. I got them super super cheap and they easily carry the 5 of us in my family. The downsides are many for us, the weight makes them harder and more time consuming to launch, and for now we need to use two cars to carry them both at once. Also, my wife isn't comfortable taking the lead of one of the boats by herself, she's fine in power stroke position or with a double blade boat. The result is that we don't use the boats as much as I'd like, maybe a handful of times a year at best.

I have to wonder whether we'd use lighter boats more. Even just being in Clifton Park, we have a good number of decent spots to launch within 10 minutes of the house. I'm seriously considering building one (to start) mid-sized SOF boat, and maybe get a set of j shaped car racks for that and see if we get more use out of a lighter boat.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

The Hornbeck looks great and I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Light weight must be a great convenience.
Zach
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
The Hornbeck looks great and I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Light weight must be a great convenience.
Zach
I'm hoping so - no matter, it'll be much better than the 17 1/2 foot, 73 pound kayak I sold last summer. I'm getting too old to haul that beast up and down off the car!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 06-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

WW,
I guarantee you'll like both of those boats. Good on water performance and good on your shoulders too!
Congrats!

Webby...If you're even casually considering building your own boat, I would strongly encourage you to do so. The cost savings alone are attractive enough, but you can easily build a boat nearly as light as the best production boats. (at 1/4 of the cost)
Feel free to contact me, I'm just down the road in Colonie and enjoy helping new builders.
Would you paddle more with a lighter boat? Absolutely!! On and off the racks would be effortless, as would be launching, and potential carries could open a whole 'nuther world for you.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
WW,
I guarantee you'll like both of those boats. Good on water performance and good on your shoulders too!
Congrats!
Excellent!

Interestingly, I started testing the 14, and ended up with the 15 because I liked how it paddled better, and my wife started with a 12 and preferred the 13...maybe we were just used to longer boats from our kayaks, but I did think the longer ones handled better.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 06-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #12
webby459

SG, I may take you up on getting some advice from you. I was inspired by a post of yours where you mentioned 'geodesic canoes' to search further, then subsequently came across your posts about your son's homebuilt SOF boat. I think for a first build we may want to do the same or very similar boat.

WW, sorry to clutter your thread!
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I am also sorry to clutter up WinterWarlock's thread, but I must highly recommend Stripperguy's advice. He has posted several excellent build journals on the By The Fireside forum and when I built the two canoes I've done so far he was a fount of very helpful ideas and information and very kindly answered my questions and made suggestions along the way. Building your own canoe is lots of fun, though it does take some time to get the job done.
Zach
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
SG, I may take you up on getting some advice from you. I was inspired by a post of yours where you mentioned 'geodesic canoes' to search further, then subsequently came across your posts about your son's homebuilt SOF boat. I think for a first build we may want to do the same or very similar boat.

WW, sorry to clutter your thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I am also sorry to clutter up WinterWarlock's thread, but I must highly recommend Stripperguy's advice. He has posted several excellent build journals on the By The Fireside forum and when I built the two canoes I've done so far he was a fount of very helpful ideas and information and very kindly answered my questions and made suggestions along the way. Building your own canoe is lots of fun, though it does take some time to get the job done.
Zach
No need...its all good info, and if I were to ever decide to build a boat, StripperGuy is the first place Id turn to as well!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #15

Have paddled Hornbecks for years- my parents were one of his first customers, I believe. They stand by their boats, too...have had ours repaired many times, typically at no or minimal charge. Hoping to pack in to Avalanche Lake, Preston Ponds, and other mountain-rimmed ponds. Have been in to Boreas Ponds (before the too-close access) and Henderson Lake with the Hornbeck and it was perfect. You will really enjoy them!
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote