Celebrating Your 46er?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrating Your 46er?

I'm approaching the end of my 46er journey with 39 in the bag. I know the journey won't end at 46 however as I will be in those mountains for many more years to come. I am greatly looking forward to this semester ending and me having a little more free time on hand. Will be glorious!!

I was just wondering how people have celebrated their 46er atop their final peak. I for one plan to finish my 46er on top of Dix on my 21st birthday with some good friends and some Lake Placid Ubu Ale while capturing it on my old super 8 film camera.

I'd like to hear about the good times people had ending their 46er or the outlandish things they've done
    Last edited by KurtVon; 04-23-2010, 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    "To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Here’s where things grow. But of course, without the top you can’t have any sides. It’s the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com

I thought about the moment thousands of times and had to finally just get it done after waiting about 8-9 months. A group would have been nice, or all my kids, but ended up doing it alone, like so many of my hikes. That was fine too ! I love being alone in the woods. With fellow hikers is good too !

Although I will complete other lists, I can not explain what a wonderful experience doing the 46 was for me.
    I hope you feel the same when you finish !
    What it is is in your head !

Comment

I finished my 46 alone (no one was available to come with me) on Haystack. I spent the night at the Slant Rock Lean-to, got up early, and reached the summit by 9 am. It was a beautiful warm summer day, and I spent more than 6 hours just hanging out on the summit, reading and napping, before returning to the lean-to for another night.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
        I finished my 46 alone (no one was available to come with me) on Haystack. I spent the night at the Slant Rock Lean-to, got up early, and reached the summit by 9 am. It was a beautiful warm summer day, and I spent more than 6 hours just hanging out on the summit, reading and napping, before returning to the lean-to for another night.
        We also finished on Haystack. We hiked from Bushnell leanto #2 on a cloudless summer day. As we arrived at the final climb to Haystack, some weird fog rolled in. We summited the viewless peak, ate our P&J sandwiches, congratulated each other, and made our way back to the campsite. Of course, the fog dissipated as we ascended Little Haystack on our return.

Guess we're not much into celebrations.

Dick

Comment

I summited with my best friend who got me into the High peaks, we celebrated by drinking Captain Morgans Rum shots and posed like the guys in the commercials...He also dragged me up the steep Slide which was awesome and glad i did it, lots of memories from our yrs of hiking together, i even teared up...
          ADK 46-R # 6750W
          CL-50 #51
          CATSKILLS 9/35
          NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Comment

I finished on Dix. Looked for a warm fall day but got an early snowfall instead... so it goes. Invited most of the people I had hiked with as I worked on the 46 but in the end only a couple could make it. Still it was good to have them along and it got them one step closer to finishing their peak list as well. Add to that one of them hauled a 46r ale up and handed it to me on the summit (I'm making sure to invite him along on all my future trips! )

Met two young guys on the hike up and shared the summit with them. They were very interested in the idea of climbing all 46 high peaks so it felt a little like passing the torch on to them which seemed appropriate.

Comment

great to hear all your stories. It just makes me that more excited! It feels great passing off that torch to future 46ers. I try to get all my friends to come up to the ADKs with me at some point or another. I've gotten to know the area very well since I was a voyager during my summers off from school. I always take them to the coolest places in the ADKs, the secret to getting them hooked

It will be nice to crack open a refreshing beer up top
              "To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Here’s where things grow. But of course, without the top you can’t have any sides. It’s the top that defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next...."

www.kurtvon.com

Comment

Originally posted by KurtVon View Post
                great to hear all your stories.
                Ditto, I love hearing these stories.

We are thinking about ending on Whiteface this summer - because it will allow us to share the moment with non-hiking friends/family (our parents, for example).

The idea of a more remote, private celebration is appealing too though.

Comment

First off,I hope I remember the event correctly,It was a long time ago.Warm August day wih perhaps a bit of rain,bushwacked Emmons,Replaced the canister with a new one painted red,white and blue.(My Dad was very Pro-American.)Had a Special lunch.My dad had completed the 46 peaks when he was 46 years of age.I was 14 and my older brother was 16.Didnt stay on the summit too long as we had time constraints.My entire family eventually became 46ers.The remaining members(4) of my family became 46ers in August, on the same mt, 3 years later.
                  Last edited by 46R796; 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM.
                  aka-Tom
                  There are no shortcuts to any place worth going!

Comment

I'm pretty sure I just gave my remaining water to my dog and my hiking partner. Both looked like they needed it more than me. Then we hiked out in the dark and went to a gas station in Saranac for some snacks. Can you say party animals?
                    Die Free and Live

Comment

My hiking partner and I finished our 46 on Phelps on an absolutely gorgeous September day. Afterwards, we went to the Noonmark for dinner and a piece of pie, which had become sort of a tradition for us. We reminisced about the journey we'd shared and laughed and cried over all the memories. Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful time.

Comment

I finished last year on Mt. Marcy on a clear hot day in August with a fellow 46er and another friend who is a 115er. I left Gray, Skylight and Marcy for one last trip to finish and approached Marcy from 4 corners....Awesome!
                        Enjoy the serenity of this place!

Comment

Just a comment here, and not an accusation to anyone.

We (the 46ers) receive complaints from rangers from time to time about larger than allowed groups on summits for someone's 46er finish. We have been asked to inform people that the completion of their 46 is not an excuse to break the group size rule.
                          Senility is a terrible thing. I blame society. That and years of substance abuse.

Comment

Working...
                          X