Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Nairb

Little Tupper Lake

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about going out to little tupper for a 3 night canoe trip next weekend. Never been there so I was wondering if I'd be able to find a nice campsite if I get there Friday evening. Also if anybody has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
rickhart

You should have the Paddler's Map. It's a large lake and if you're arriving late in the day, you don't want to be wasting time looking for the sites. And I suspect that arriving on a Friday evening in August, you may have lots of competition so you can't count on getting a particular site, esp the best ones. Be prepared to settle for what I think of as "overflow sites" -- the ones lightly used because no one uses them unless everything else is taken. Maybe someone else here knows an online map (I use the Paddler's Map).

Generally the top half of the lake (nearest the put-in) has more sites on the right hand side, going down -- the bottom half, more sites on the left hand.
If you could manage to get there earlier Friday it would be a big help.
Be sure to go from the south end of the lake down to Rock Pond. Great day trip! (There are also some nice campsites on Rock)
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:22 AM   #3
Nairb

Thanks Rick, I appreciate the input. I'm gonna try to get there as early as possible but it's tough for me to get out of work early on Fridays.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
...Maybe someone else here knows an online map
From the NYSDEC website: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_for...mapwhitney.pdf

Site 18 is one of my favorites.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Nairb

Anybody know of any campsites I should try to stay away from for any reason?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
If you don't like to look at numerous signs within your campsite then you might not like site 11 very much... Sign, sign everywhere a sign... https://youtu.be/_dhUKV2rWHI
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
rickhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
18 is my favorite too (and now I know Justin is one of the people who get there before me ). 12 is pretty spectacular. 14 &15 are both nice sites though 15 is up in the woods w/o a water view. 22 is nice. Eagle Point is good but often occupied, being closest to the access.
16 & 17 are both awful.
If you camp on Rock Pond, the island site is great, and 29 on the east shore is nice. 27 is a great swimming spot but an awful campsite -- 26 no good either. On the Rock Pond outlet, 23 is very bad (overflow for sure), and 24 only marginal.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
madison

#7 is my favorite on Little Tupper, followed closely by 18. 6 is pretty good, too. On Rock Pond, I like 25. The site itself is set back in a ways and not great, but the lounging rocks are spetacular.

Not sure how late you'll be getting there, but be warned that wind usually blows from the west and the lake can get pretty choppy in the late afternoon. It usually calms down around 7 or so.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canoe, little tupper