Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #541
rickhart

Hi Johnny -- welcome to the forum! You may get suggestions in this section, but I would re-post your question about trip ideas in the Hiking section, and I think you'll get more ideas than you can do in a long time.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #542
Johnny

Will do, and thanks for the advice : )
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #543
Adirondack
Adirondack Cameraperson

I was born at Adirondack Medical Center 37 years ago. I grew up in Saranac Lake with a view of the High Peaks, but never knew what was out there till I was about 16, and we had moved north to Brasher Falls, just outside the blue line. I asked my Dad about mountains my uncle spoke about. My uncle Carl said "there are mountains out there that put you 25 miles from the nearest lightbulb and to get there you gotta cross 2 ranges just to start the hike." I needed to see if that was true so I asked some friends if they wanted to start hiking, but it was like pulling teeth, so I went back to Dad and asked "I want to hike, I know nothing about it and the little green book says not to hike alone." His response was "just go. Take the truck, get a backpack and some food, and go. What's the worst that will happen vs what's the best that will happen?" He was right. The worst was the time my little cousin slid down a mossy waterfall and twisted an ankle, we spent a cold unprepared night in the woods in the rain near JBL. The rangers looked for us, and the papers ran a blurb about "lost hikers." That's really the worst we experienced which isnt bad by a long shot, in fact, it's become a fond memory for the 3 of us.

The best we experienced is what everyone else gained from this journey- an everlasting moment on Gothics, a downpour along the Opalescent, an otherworldly moonlit walk along Lake Colden, a harrowing run-in with a curious bear, a swim in a perfectly clear stream, the heat, the cold, the snow and ice, the black flies, the dismal low cloud and the breakthrough above it into the world of constant sunshine. I've hiked, run, skateboarded, sledded and cycled up Whiteface about 35 times. I've taken beginners up Mt. Jo about 25 times. I slept in the boathouse on a scary halloween night. I talked hiking with Eruzione and Janaszak on their 25th anniversary of the Miracle. We used the original cable before it was replaced. I passed an elderly woman walking one step at a time on her way to finish the 46. While photographing the rangers for a news story, I slept at the Colden ranger station when it was 35 below and saw the stars from the middle of Flowed Lands and Lake Colden and felt it was the clearest I had ever seen into space. We've hiked in the outback without seeing a soul and have found the main lots jammed and had to walk an extra load of miles just to get to the parking areas in the summer weekend rushes. We started climbing at the tail end of the canister days and have notes and photos of our signatures on the roster. We've bushwhacked thru as much cripplebrush, briars and thuleweeds as anyone else.

And I have 10 to go at 37 years of age! Could have, should have finished a long time ago, but it's too sweet not to savor. 78% done and hoping to get a few more this summer. 6 if my knees will hold up. Here's the list, look for the link about the Adk 46 --> http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/climber.aspx?cid=2041

I forget which guidebook made sense of the stats of living an hour from the peaks, but it went something like "if you live an hour away and do mostly dayhikes, it's the equivalent of driving from the adirondacks thru alaska to Mt Everest, hiking Mt Everest 8 times, and driving back." Well, I used to live an hour away and I'm 80% done!! And I've spoken to folks who have climbed both Mt Everest and the winter high peaks, and except for the altitude and the oxygen, they said the Adirondacks were more challenging. I think it's possible. Our forgotten wilderness is fairly rugged and 1000 miles more north than the Himalayas.

Mike
Adirondack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #544
atvcrazed

This is my first post on this forum. I'm a Ranger School grad class of '13, but before that I always camped in Cranberry Lake State Campground since I was young. I am currently living in "downtown Wanakena" and I am the DEC Assistant Forest Ranger for the Cranberry Lake area.

In my off time I am a fully addicted Jeeper and love breaking my '92 Jeep Wrangler YJ just to fix it again! If you are in the area you can't miss my Jeep, it's usually the first thing people see...and hear! You don't have to worry about me going places I shouldn't, the Jeep club I am a proud member of CNYJEEP.ORG and I am personally against any type of trespassing!

Ill see you out on the trails and the lake!
atvcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #545
Hobbitling
spring fever

Hobbitling returns!

Ah...The old adk forum. How I've missed it.
Some of you may remember me as an active resident of the forum years ago. At that point I was in grad school in Albany. Two years ago I graduated, got a job in Ohio, and sadly said goodbye to the Adirondacks and the forum. I've now moved back to the Rochester area. Of course, the first thing I did was head up to the adirondacks and go camping for a few days.

Good to be back from Mordor, as I like to call Ohio, which has the lowest air and water quality of any state, and where rivers have been known to catch fire. Although I may have to change my forum name, since, as every true Tolkien geek knows, hobbits officially become adults at their coming of age at 33 years old, which makes me no longer a hobbitling, but a fully grown hobbit gentleman.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #546
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
Hobbitling returns!

Ah...The old adk forum. How I've missed it.
Some of you may remember me as an active resident of the forum years ago. At that point I was in grad school in Albany. Two years ago I graduated, got a job in Ohio, and sadly said goodbye to the Adirondacks and the forum. I've now moved back to the Rochester area. Of course, the first thing I did was head up to the adirondacks and go camping for a few days.

Good to be back from Mordor, as I like to call Ohio, which has the lowest air and water quality of any state, and where rivers have been known to catch fire. Although I may have to change my forum name, since, as every true Tolkien geek knows, hobbits officially become adults at their coming of age at 33 years old, which makes me no longer a hobbitling, but a fully grown hobbit gentleman.
Welcome back sir - and if you'd like a new name, just send me a PM. Maybe Dr. Hobbit at this point? or Professor Hobbit?

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #547
rickhart

You sound like you have Took blood, anyway.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #548
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

hobbitling,

Great to hear that you're back here! Ohio must have been torture...
Looking forward to more of your reports on the lifestyles of the small and anonymous.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #549
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Congratulations Hobbitling! I too will be coming of age at the end of August (if I make it until then)...

Glad you are back in NY. Ohio is a bit brown and grey for me... not quite Mordor but not exactly the Shire!

Rochester is not a bad place to be. A bit farther from the ADKs than I'd like to be but we have our own charms I guess. I've been living here for the past 13 yrs after coming up from the Southern Tier/Finger Lakes region and I wouldn't want to move any farther away from the mountains.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #550
Dviola617

Hello everyone....New to the Forum and just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Dave, currently live in UpState NY, about .5 hr from the northern Adirondack region. Wife and I (and the dogs) started hiking this summer and we love it. I am hoping to learn a lot from all of you. What top do and more importantly....what not to do. Happy hiking.

Cheers.
Dviola617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #551
jesst7
Jess

Hello all, my name is Jessica and I'm from Albany, NY. I've lived here most of my life and spent a few years living in Italy. I've been hiking/camping a few times a month for the past 7 years. The Adirondacks has always been a special place for me.

I'm really impressed with the amount of helpful information and resources available on this forum. Thanks for such an amazing site!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #552
Gs300camper

New to the forum. I have checked out a few different post before I made my mind up about joining. I would like to take a quick second of your time to introduce myself and say thanks to all of you who have enlightened my mind. So pull up a chair, stump or log and grab a drink of your choice from my anti bear cooler thing. My name is Chuck, I love to camp, hike and explore the outdoors. I currently have an amazing daughter who is 15 months young and a wonder wife (check out my pictures). I am originally from Canandaigua NY, I have moved around lot in my short time here from NY to FL and back a few times before planting my feet again in some good old NY soil. I started out camping when I was just a small guy in cub scouts and have always loved the outdoors. I currently work for a large airgun company in customer service and I have spring fever very bad currently. I am planning a quick camping trip mid next month to the amazing Little Tupper Lake area. I love the ADKs and the views I have often found amazing, including the 3 different black bears I have seen at a distance. So if you happen to see a guy with some tattoo’s out camping, just come over and introduce yourself with a story.
Gs300camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #553
mossarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Hey,
All you new to the forum slackers...
C'mon, let's hear from you and see what makes you tick.
I see a lot of new members, but know nothing of them.
Thanks for asking……I live in the Village of Lake George…my family goes back 3 generations. Much of what is now the Village used to be my grandfather’s farm. It’s a goofy community but I try to do the best I can to be of use here. I have a reverence for this landscape on many levels….it’s a place worth caring about.
As a matter of fact, I’ve served as an elected official in both Village and Town of LG…still in office. My partner and I are both in the entertainment arts…I, primarily as a staging painter and he, as a radio host in Saratoga…although sometimes he joins me as a guest painter and I join him a guest radio announcer. (Those of us who actually live in the ADKs must have the flexibility and acumen for many skills.) We love being on the water and have a collection of small craft, among them two 16 foot rowing dories; my favorite form of transportation.
I have two grown boy children who are a credit to the planet. Ironically, they both live in NYC. They are much smarter than I am, thank goodness.
So: I am a small town local girl…but as Henry David Thoreau said….
“I have traveled a great deal in Concord.”
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #554
dlj

Intro

I see several links asking to introduce oneself, so here's a brief intro. I grew up in upstate New York, used to hike the Adirondacks as a kid and young adult. Since then I've lived in many places around the US and Europe and have come back to New York.

I camped and canoed a lot, still love canoes, but have moved more into sailing. I'm currently running a Windrider 17, which is a small trimaran. Draws not a lot more water than a canoe, but is substantially wider so lakes are the areas for me. I prefer primitive camping, no crowds and no motor boats if possible...

I sail larger boats, but those are more for oceans, and not camping. I have two daughters and am looking to get them off their cell phones and breathing fresh mountain air... And some independence that I think only camping can teach...

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the Adirondack Mountains and enjoying that spectacular region as an adult!

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #555
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

" There is not a doubt in my mind that I am alive and active today because I refused to succomb to the barriers trying to prevent me from communicating with my God, My way."

You are definitely My Hero. Keep on Keepin on.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #556
Hard Scrabble

i started hunting and fishing the ADK's back in the 50's.
Took my first deer at age 18.
Moved to Keeseville, NY in the early 60's.
Carried my Chestnut canoe to places you would not have dreamed about fishing for Brook Trout. How about the carry from the Wilmington Notch to Winch Pond??
Hunted deer in the High peaks, alone.
Hunted deer in the Siamese area, cross country skied from the southern ADK's to Tupper Lake, over night camping was a lot of fun.
This is not "bragging", I've done it.

Jim

Last edited by Neil; 10-04-2015 at 07:28 AM..
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #557
l33tHoneyBadger

Hello my name is Michael and I work as a network engineer for the New York State school system. I am 36 years old and divorced. I have a 4 year old son who enjoys hiking as well but he has a little ways to go before he starts hitting the high peaks. My grandfather and father were always outdoors people so I grew up in the woods and in camp which is several miles back in the woods. I always enjoyed this but I didn't start hiking until much later in life.

What finally got me into hiking is my weight. I am epileptic and I was denied gastric bypass and the lap band due to this so if I wanted to lose the weight I had to do it the old fashioned way. I was in a massive car accident and they had to weigh me on a different scale to get a measurement. I was 412 lbs. and I just couldn't do it anymore. So I started exercising and eating right but after a time the treadmill got boring and my body was getting used to it. Once that happens you get less and less benefits from the workout which is disheartening. So it was summer and I said hey, I might as well see something if I am going to do all this walking. So I started hitting the trails on the weekends and soon I was on them any time I could get there. Due to my weight and size I burn a lot of calories hiking. It is great to see a calorie burn of 7,000 - 10,000 at the end of a hike. It has helped me get to where I am today, almost 100 lbs lost and a heart that is in perfect condition. I hope to start hitting the high peaks soon and continue the weight loss. I'm pretty easy to spot on the trails , see you out there!
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #558
makevx73
Kevin

Another newbie...

Mid-fifties guy wanting to start exploring the ADK on water, boots, snowshoes and skis.

After traveling from place to place during 20 years in the USAF, exploring whenever and where ever I could, and 12 years living in Alaska beating up my body in various ways I'm back East now and finding I'm not out-and-about enough. My wife and I have been wandering around VT, NH and ME for the past several years but I've decided it's time to focus on this wonderful area.

I'm looking forward to enjoying what the four-seasons offer in the Dack's...
makevx73 is offline   Reply With Quote