Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Excellent work by Ross and Preston. Looks like the pupil has surpassed the master in the vtflyfish household!
No question on that score!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #22
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Looks like the pupil has surpassed the master in the vtflyfish household!
No great feat, that.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #23
adkbrooktrout

VT that plaque turned out great, they complement each other perfectly. That's a great place to keep it safe through out those undergrad years as well. To answer some of the measurement questions about my carvings; from a 2d drawing if you know the length of the fish you can deduce the width pretty easily. In a lot of cases most people don't measure the girth of the fish for a good release. With a length and a rough estimate of the weight of the fish I can plug it in to the brook trout measurements to weight formula and just work backwards for an accurate size. On that note, if I had the length and girth and weight measurements I can recreate a fish with detailed accuracy, on a fully 3d fish. Since this fish is 3d with only one side finished and one mountable side, I have to take that in to account while carving. A small portion of the mounting side is completely flat but the finished side is carved accurately to the fish. I can also super impose the picture on to a projector and resize the photo to the give length of the fish, so in other words if I blow up a picture of a 23" fish and resize the picture of the actual fish to 23" inches and I have a perfect profile shot of the fish, I can easily measure the width. As VT said, this is a piece of art that I carved from a block of wood it isn't a fiberglass or casted replica so the detail is a by product of tiny knives, rotary tools, wood burner, hours of sanding, hands, mind and many many hours of carving and hand painting with brushes, all in all they are approximations of the real thing. That goes with all replicas unless you kill the fish and send it in for a casting of said fish. Congratulations to Ross for graduating and catching a beauty adk brookie!
adkbrooktrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #24
adkbrooktrout

I'd also like to thank everybody for the positive feedback back and kind words.
adkbrooktrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #25
nativeadk

Beautiful.

Probably not a good idea for college dorm room.

Perfect for a bachelor pad though.
nativeadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #26
Zachnaturephotographer

The Story of Ross

What a beautiful piece. Great gift idea dad!

If I can finally get one at least 20" I'd sure be interested in one of my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zachnaturephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote