Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
wasabi

Lake Lila fishing

My son and I are planning a mid September trip to Lila. We were there a few years ago in August and the small mouth fishing was great. Used rubber worms and rapalas. My son keeps saying we could try for lake trout.

I don't know anything about lake trout but isn't the water too warm in September to try for lake trout? If not, what's a good method that time of year?

Had success for smallmouths along the rocks by camp site 20 and in Single Shanty Brook. Any other suggestions for the smallmouths? Thanks.
wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
EagleCrag

wasabi: Get yourself some (predominantly white) deer hair jigs in 1/2 or 3/8 oz and bounce them on the bottom. You don't need to vertical jig with them either, though you can. I often just cast them out behind the boat and troll with them, jigging the rod as I go. You can control the depth depending on how fast you go. You can also use a 3 way swivel with a fairly large sinker off one eye to get you down and a light flutter spoon (mostly silver) off the other eye. If deer hair jigs are not readily available, a 4 inch white curly tail grub will work too. You are basically trying to imitate smelt or young whitefish/ciscos which are their primary forage. I'd troll along areas of the lake where you can tell the shoreline drops off quickly or other areas if you know where the drop offs into deep water are. Good Luck--let us know how you make out.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
Grey-Jay

My Lake trout caught: deepest section along islands, trolling Kastmaster flat spoon.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote