Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #21
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Well, if a high weed is in direct contact of the fence, anywhere on the property, it would deplete the power source.
Simple as that.
What more can I say???
I get it now. Battery powered units are different. Since I have basically an unlimited AC source, mine sends a pulse to ground every second or so, it matters not that it has a bit of a ground to trees, leaves, grass, etc. along the way. All that does is slightly reduce the voltage on the line, since it's grounding out before it gets back to "home" - the intentional ground near the charger.

"A common question asked about battery or DC powered electric fence energizers is, "How often do the batteries need to be charged?"

The answer: it depends on how many times the fence is grounding. In other words, if the animals are touching the electric fence often or if there are weeds or limbs touching the fence and the ground, the battery will drain faster than if the wire remains clear. Animals that are being trained to avoid the fence will likely touch it more during the early part of training so the battery will drain faster at that time."

So I guess DC chargers are "always on" and isolated from ground - until an animal or a weed touches it.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 09-11-2017 at 07:40 PM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #22
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I get it now. Battery powered units are different. Since I have basically an unlimited AC source, mine sends a pulse to ground every second or so, it matters not that it has a bit of a ground to trees, leaves, grass, etc. along the way. All that does is slightly reduce the voltage on the line, since it's grounding out before it gets back to "home" - the intentional ground near the charger.

"A common question asked about battery or DC powered electric fence energizers is, "How often do the batteries need to be charged?"

The answer: it depends on how many times the fence is grounding. In other words, if the animals are touching the electric fence often or if there are weeds or limbs touching the fence and the ground, the battery will drain faster than if the wire remains clear. Animals that are being trained to avoid the fence will likely touch it more during the early part of training so the battery will drain faster at that time."

So I guess DC chargers are "always on" and isolated from ground - until an animal or a weed touches it.
The dry cell used for electric fencing is not a "rechargeable battery"
You are correct that the dry cell does not discharge until the fencer unit senses a circuit to ground.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #23
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
The dry cell used for electric fencing is not a "rechargeable battery"
You are correct that the dry cell does not discharge until the fencer unit senses a circuit to ground.
That quote came from a place that sells battery operated electric fences, so I guess they are using rechargeable now...solar too.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #24
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
That quote came from a place that sells battery operated electric fences, so I guess they are using rechargeable now...solar too.
Whatever.
Solar powered rechargeable batteries have a slow recovery time. If the conditions exist that depleted the battery power in the first place (like high weeds) the power source would be depleted before the solar array could recharge said batteries.
If the electrons run out before than they can be replaced the fencer is useless.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Whatever.
Solar powered rechargeable batteries have a slow recovery time. If the conditions exist that depleted the battery power in the first place (like high weeds) the power source would be depleted before the solar array could recharge said batteries.
If the electrons run out before than they can be replaced the fencer is useless.
All true. My point was in response to your comment "The dry cell used for electric fencing is not a "rechargeable battery""
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #26
Hard Scrabble

I give up.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #27
Hard Scrabble

Just an after thought, Johnney, how many pastures have you fenced?????
Truthfully.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #28
Trail Boss

How many pastures does a man have to fence
Before he can keep critters out?

The answer my friend is buzzin' in the wind.
The answer is buzzin' in the wind.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #29
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
How many pastures does a man have to fence
Before he can keep critters out?

The answer my friend is buzzin' in the wind.
The answer is buzzin' in the wind.
Some one smarter than you and I said that.
No need to repeat it.
Actually, the quote was "blowing in the wind"
Old 09-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #30
Trail Boss

Quote:
No need to repeat it.
Testy and humorless. Not exactly an endearing combination.

I guess Neil's book suggestion for you made no impact. That's a shame.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #31
Justin
Moving along

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #32
RipVanWinkle

Quote:
No need to repeat it.
I call BS. No one is smarter than you Hard Scrabble!
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #33
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Just an after thought, Johnney, how many pastures have you fenced?????
Truthfully.
Well, pastures would be a stretch. 1 high tensile, (friend with horses) and one 12.5ga aluminum for deer around my own yard (10 acres of woods, with about an acre of fence.) The aluminum didn't last long, a deer or bear or something kept breaking it because it was pretty soft and stretchy, and I replaced it after two years with high tensile wire, but without using the tensioner. Oh, and a small polytape temporary pen. That one was on fiberglass rods and used a deep cycle marine battery. My current charger is a Parmak, but I forget the model number. It's rated for something ridiculous like 150 miles, which is why it has no problem working with leaves, branches and weeds touching it until I get around to clearing it, which I usually do when I hear something snapping in my back woods..

So I give up too. Conversation with you is like playing whack-a-mole, except not as fun. You shoulda been a politician! Cheers!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #34
jensaito

My advice: stick to proper food storage techniques by using a canister and keeping a very clean camp, and you won't even need to lug an electric fence around. You can travel lighter and with peace of mind
jensaito is offline   Reply With Quote